U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 05:30 PM

9,718 posts, read 5,764,037 times

Advertisements

We will be traveling across country next month and will be stopping in San Antonio. I've heard that Riverwalk and the Alamo is a must see while there. My question is should we stay at a hotel that we can walk to these places or is there a problem parking in the area if we just want to check it out and only have dinner there.
Much thanks for any information and/or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 05:37 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,264,227 times
If your not familiar with downtown, I would stay at a nearby hotel. One on Durango or maybe St. Paul's Square. that way you can take a trolly or walk and see the area and not have to worry about finding parking or getting lost. You can't see the riverwalk from a car, it's below grade. It is better seen by walking and since the river area is about a good mile long and the Alamo is not on the Riverwalk, it would be better to stay nearby and walk about. Most of downtown is safe and any of the hotels will give you a walking map and or directions.
I live downtown so I may have a skewed view of how to get around, but parking is a hassle and for strangers to the area, getting lost is frustrating and time consuming.
Enjoy are gem when you pass through.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:38 PM

269 posts, read 669,217 times
There are plenty hotels surrounding the downtown, Alamo and Riverwalk. A map can be found here
The Official Website for The San Antonio River Walk! May I also suggest to check out the Alamo's website if you have not yet. Great info there.
Enjoy your visit!

Old 11-14-2008, 06:22 PM

27 posts, read 75,063 times
Bella, unless you find a good deal downtown on a hotel(which may be hard during the holiday season) I would stay somewhere and drive down and park in a parking garage which there are plenty of. Downtown is safe and you can park anywhere you can find and walk around. The only thing you might want to do is check and see if there is any big event going on the evening you plan to go downtown, as that might make parking a little more difficult. But, generally parking can be found down there most of the time. But, if money is not a great concern, you would have fun and be comfortable if you got a hotel downtown. Have fun.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:27 PM

188 posts, read 550,558 times
We always park at the RiverCenter mall (kind of expensive but VERY convenient) or across the street at the Commerce Center garage (I think it's called). That's like $8 a day, not bad.

But it would be fun to stay at a hotel on the riverwalk, I think.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,200,060 times
Before I moved here and was just visiting, I parked at the Rivercenter Mall garage on Commerce St. and found it easy to get to the Riverwalk. If you're comfortable navigating in the downtown area of a big city, you should be able to locate a parking garage with no problem.

Hotels away from the Riverwalk are less expensive, so it may come down to whether spending less or having the full tourist experience is a priority for you.

Enjoy your visit and be sure to come back and let us know how you liked it here!

Old 11-14-2008, 07:50 PM

9,718 posts, read 5,764,037 times
Thank you all sooooo much for the great information. I'm looking forward to seeing your beautiful city. I do have one more question..........what should the weather be like during the first week of December.
We are driving from San Diego to Tampa and will be returning after the holidays and I'm not sure about the weather conditions along the I-10 at that time of year.
Thanks again!!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:11 PM

656 posts, read 1,686,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
Thank you all sooooo much for the great information. I'm looking forward to seeing your beautiful city. I do have one more question..........what should the weather be like during the first week of December.
We are driving from San Diego to Tampa and will be returning after the holidays and I'm not sure about the weather conditions along the I-10 at that time of year.
Thanks again!!

Highs could be in the 40s with rain or they could be in the 70s with sunshine depending on when fronts come through..... If you wait a few days it will be the opposite. Welcome to San Antonio.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:03 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,687,281 times
- When I did it, I stayed far from downtown and paid for parking
- I saw at least one parking garage where they charged per hour,
can anybody tell him/her of parking garages where they don't charge by the hour.
- Try to take advantage of the trolley buses, I believe they are cheap,
when I first came to San Antonio we parked by the Rivercenter and then jumped on the trolley to "El Mercado".
- I really enjoyed visiting the Missions that are South of Downtown.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:13 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,264,227 times
Your taking the southern route so except for a cold rain, the weather should be fine. It could be 40 or 70/75, depending on the fronts, as Smitty said. The only problem I ever encountered on that drive is the mountains in West Texas could have snow and or ice. check to see what the forcast is for the time your driving. If it's raining elsewhere, it could be snow or ice in the mountains from El Paso east to about Kerrville, maybe less. It does not happen often and early December may be too soon for snow/ice, but if it's going to happen, that's the only place you need be concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or