U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:33 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,237,561 times

Advertisements

This page explains why the yields signs at the I-10 and 1604 interchange are backward. If you have not read it it is great.
Quote:
[SIZE=2]A common question I get regards the yield signs at the I-10/Loop 1604 cloverleaf on the northwest side. In a typical cloverleaf, the yield signs are placed where the ramps merge into the intersecting highway or collector road, as shown here:[/SIZE]
The San Antonio Area Freeway System - I-10/Loop 1604 Yield Signs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 03:05 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,876,129 times
I agree, that was a good illustration. The clover leaf I use to exit the freeway everyday has no yield sign for anybody. When you exit you just have to either stop and wait for a break in traffic or try to blend in. Sometimes neither of those options are a good choice. I was rear ended there a few years ago. Although I really can't blame the signage for that. If the lady would have been driving instead of talking on the phone she might have realized that the traffic ahead was not moving. I often thought about who should have the yield sign if they ever decide to put one up. I actually came to the conclusion that they should be just as the illustration says and for that same reason. Of course now they are in the process of replacing that whole clover leaf with a diamond shape so who knows what the signage will be or if there will be any at all.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:12 AM

358 posts, read 722,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
This page explains why the yields signs at the I-10 and 1604 interchange are backward. If you have not read it it is great.

The San Antonio Area Freeway System - I-10/Loop 1604 Yield Signs
Great post! Thanks. I've wondered about that interchange for many years now...and now I know the answer!

Old 11-22-2008, 07:34 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,016,323 times
San Antonio is one of the most dangerous Highway Infrastructure in the nation. I think it would be a good Idea to place some lights for the mergers. The way it works theres I.R. and weight sensors and when a perfect gap is sensed the the light turns green. Unfortuanetly it wont work because 90 percent of the drivers here have road rage, or are completely out of it.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:46 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,979,080 times
wow --- thanks for that link --- it really does make sense ---

Old 11-23-2008, 12:15 AM

59 posts, read 188,424 times
That does not make sense at all. There shouldn't even by a yield sign. Each vehicle has their own lane. The only thing those yield signs do is create unnecessary back ups. Do people here not know how to merge? Unbelievable!

Old 11-23-2008, 08:07 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,832,748 times
it kind of makes sense to me. I used to live near a cloverleaf intersection like that with the traditional signage and the taffic backups were half a mile long sometimes.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:34 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,779,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
San Antonio is one of the most dangerous Highway Infrastructure in the nation. I think it would be a good Idea to place some lights for the mergers. The way it works theres I.R. and weight sensors and when a perfect gap is sensed the the light turns green. Unfortuanetly it wont work because 90 percent of the drivers here have road rage, or are completely out of it.
The signals you are talking about are called ramp meter signals. They don't change to green when there's a "perfect gap"; rather, they are on a timed cycle to let vehicles out one or two at a time to minimize a sudden heavy inflow onto the freeway from a line of cars coming down an on-ramp. The timing of the cycle is adjusted based on overall traffic and congestion levels on the freeway mainlanes. San Antonio used to have ramp meters on I-10 and I-35 downtown in the areas that are now double-decked (they were removed as part of the double-decking project), as well as one on the entrance ramp from eastbound Basse to southound 281 (that one was removed about 10 years ago.)

Also, the sensors are not weight sensors, they are indicutive loop sensors. These sensors have a loop of wire in the pavement that is energized with a low voltage, thus creating a weak magnetic field. When a large mass of metal (i.e. a vehicle) passes through the magnetic field, it causes an electrical disturbance that the sensor detects and reports back to the signal controller. (It's the same principle as a metal detector.) In the case of meter signals, those sensors are used to determine the traffic volume and speeds on the freeway as well as traffic volumes on the on-ramp. The signal controller uses that data to set the cycle time on the meter signal. In general, loop detectors are being replaced by video and acoustic detectors nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I agree, that was a good illustration. The clover leaf I use to exit the freeway everyday has no yield sign for anybody. When you exit you just have to either stop and wait for a break in traffic or try to blend in. Sometimes neither of those options are a good choice. ... Of course now they are in the process of replacing that whole clover leaf with a diamond shape so who knows what the signage will be or if there will be any at all.
Is that the Military/I-37 cloverleaf? If so, I'll send you the signage plans for it.

Last edited by TexHwyMan; 11-23-2008 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: Added info about SA ramp meters

Old 11-24-2008, 07:21 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,876,129 times
Yep, that's the one, SE Military and I37. They sure are working feverishly on that. 7 days a week I think.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:18 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,615,625 times
Sorry, but if people knew how to properly merge (actually "planning" for a merge by looking over one's shoulder and using mirrors versus stopping and waiting for a quarter-mile of empty road before immediately jumping into the desired lane) the problem would not be as pronounced. I do agree that, once a certain volume of cars is reached, there is little anyone can do.

--Dim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio