U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 08:27 PM

65 posts, read 133,029 times

Advertisements

Discovered a flyer on my door this evening when I went out to walk my dog. Anyone know anything about this? Apparently there was a meeting at 4:00 p.m, but obviously I missed it. Any info, greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,825 posts, read 33,229,869 times
I don't see how it could close, since it's the access to the only parking for the Salado Greenway Trail.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:32 PM

Default OLd Blanco Road in danger of closing (agan)?

The flyer states that we must petition city council to protect the road? I'm with you though. Seems like access would be a big issue.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:06 PM

180 posts, read 805,178 times
Dont assume anything. If you want access to that park you better petition city council or you may be driving to the other side of the park to get in

Old 11-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maluminse View Post
Dont assume anything. If you want access to that park you better petition city council or you may be driving to the other side of the park to get in
Driving to the other side of the park will be even more disappointing, since there is zero public parking at that end. Although I've found it works well to park at the nursing home next door.

Once Voelcker Park opens, I don't care if Old Blanco closes. There just needs to be a way to park and use the Greenway trail. Voelcker will have a parking lot with an entrance on Blanco.

I was surprised when I went to use the trail the other day to see that the city had put "No Parking" signs on both sides of Old Blanco. Now trail users can go in the gate and park next to the farm. Since I didn't see that when I was looking for a place to park, it would have been nice if the city had also put up a sign pointing the way to the parking lot, in addition to the new "No Parking" signs. I still may correspond with Louis Rowe about that.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:31 PM

Default Old Blanco Road (again)

I know in the past there has been a little interest from some on this board in preserving Old Blanco Road for public use so I thought I'd pass along a note I received this evening. For anyone who is interested - please send an email to your City Council person and Mayor Hardberger. Message below (map not included)

Dear Neighbors:

We have been unsuccessful in reaching Councilman Louis Rowe regarding the status of Old Blanco Road. It has been reported that Mr. Rowe understood that the issue was resolved. There is still a strong possibility that the deed for the road would be given to the developer, Mr. Honigblum. This would expand the commercial land he owns along Blanco Road by several yards.

PLEASE call or write the mayor’s office today if you do not want to be off another “San Pedro”. Historically, neighborhoods behind development depreciate rapidly.

We do not have to give up Old Blanco because the bond issue was approved to provide for park land and “open spaces”, a trade is unnecessary and potentially detrimental to our neighborhood.

The mayor’s email is: phardberger@sanantonio.gov

His telephone number is 207-7060.

Below is a map of the area. Old Blanco has several yards of land that the city would be giving away. A community meeting is not scheduled yet and we don’t know what agreements have been made, if any. Also, the developer and owner of both sides of Old Blanco has reportedly purchased the first house in the neighborhood that borders his property.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:16 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,196,889 times
Best of luck in retaining Old Blanco Road - that should remain city property and not that of Honigblum. Having lived in that neighborhood for nearly seven years - I know the pain it will bring if that road is closed.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:56 PM

The SA Parks and Rec Department is hosting a public meeting on 4/1/09 to discuss the possible closure of Old Blanco Rd.

Everything below is a quote from the poster announcing the meeting...

What: OLD BLANCO RD

Purpose: Community meeting for public discussion regarding the development of formalized
hike/bike access on Old Blanco Road and potential closure to vehicular traffic. The Parks & Recreation Department will share recommendations and take public input.

When: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 7:00 P.M.

Where: Jewish Campus 12500 NW Military Hwy

Old 03-24-2009, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Old Blanco Road in danger of closing

Interestingly enough, the last petition which had over 200 signatures was lost by the City of San Antonio. There's an effort now to get a new one signed prior to the meeting on April 1st. When I drove in on Old Blanco this evening they were collecting signatures. Would appreciate any interested parties stopping by and signing.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:09 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,839,204 times
wish i were there to sign :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or