U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 03:22 PM

5 posts, read 15,034 times

Advertisements

I found a floorplan through Centex that I fell in love with but I don't know which area would be OVERALL a better investment. Please help! Should I build 1604 & 281 (Bulverde Village - Blackhawk) OR 1604 Culebra (Enclave at Silver Oaks)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 03:33 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,350,797 times
where are you working?

Old 12-05-2008, 03:52 PM

I work near the airport - broadway and 410

Old 12-05-2008, 04:01 PM

hmm, so right in the middle pretty much. Well, unless you work non-normal hourse, traffic is definitely going to be an issue with each one. I think both areas have their positives and negatives. I live near Culebra/1604 and it is definitely booming out here. It is hard to tell what the future will bring, though. It's more of a work in progress compared to the Stone Oak area. So I guess it depends on the risk you're willing to take.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:05 PM

So what are some of the +/-'s you have experienced living near the Culebra/1604? Any input would be much appreciated.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:17 PM

188 posts, read 550,830 times
We're near 281 & Stone Oak and really like it. Yes, the traffic can be horrendous at certain times of the day, but since we work from home that isn't as much as an issue for us. But it can be an issue.

Pros for our area - it is a booming development area with the new golf course and tons of new shops. There is a SuperTarget and Super Wal-Mart close, lots of nicer stores in the Village at Stone Oak shopping center, and they're finally figuring out that we need some restaurants too!

The new HEB Plus is nice but a bear to get in and out of - if you can shop at non-peak traffic times, it's ok.

You are out of city limits in Bulverde Village - keep that in mind. You don't get trash pick up and recycling through the city - you pay for it separately through Tiger Sanitation or Waste Management (whoever you pick - I recommend Tiger). Neither company offers recycling so you have no curbside recycling here at all.

In Bulverde Village, a lot of it (not sure about Blackhawk but I would imagine it is included too) has 830 area codes for phone (instead of 210). If you get GVTC for your phone (not sure if that is the only option or not) you can pay for a "metro line" so calling 210 phone numbers is not a long distance charge for you (or anyone who calls you, either).

Bulverde Village has a nice park (for younger kids) and volleyball court/basketball court. It does have a pool but that is for residents of "The Point" only - not Blackhawk (but then Blackhawk's HOA fees are probably less than The Point's I would imagine).

Bulverde Village is NEISD schools (Roan Forest or Bulverde Creek Elem., Tejeda Middle and the new Johnson HS). Also they are building a new elementary school between Blackhawk and Cibolo Canyons - probably walking distance for kids! That should open in 2010 I think.

I've been to Blackhawk and I think it is a nice area. But I haven't been to the 1604/Culebra area so I can't compare, I can only say that I'm happy in the 281/Stone Oak area and I think it is a good investment for a home.

Good luck with your decision and feel free to DM me with any specific questions on the area!

Old 12-05-2008, 08:41 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,979,473 times
just my personal opinion, i tend to think that the home value would increase more in the 281 area than in the culebra area --- as far as traffic, i lived in the 281 area for about 4 months and the traffic was really really bad, i would not want to live there forever --- i cannot speak of the traffic at culebra/1604 as i have never lived there nor do i frequent that area at all ---

don't know if you have kids or not but as far as schools go, again, personally, i would rather be in the blackhawk neighborhood over silver oaks hands down...

which floorplan are you looking at??? i only ask because we moved into a centex neighborhood recently and up the road from us is another new centex neighborhood, the ranch at lost creek --- it's boerne ISD, another great school district --- you may want to check it out if it's not too far out for you and if your floorplan is there...

Old 12-06-2008, 04:47 AM

the area I would move to if I was moving to 1604/Culebra would be Alamo Ranch probably. The thing I like best about it is they thought of the roads BEFORE they built it. It has a divided road running between the neighborhoods and each side has two lanes. I wish more places thought like that. I live in Westcreek (further down 1604 @ Military) and there are two main roads with only one lane each and a bunch of stop signs. Traffic can back up pretty bad because there's a jerk Bexar county deputy that doesn't allow rolling stops. Totally moronic since 90% of the traffic is going one direction. No matter what, though, the traffic at 1604/Culebra will never approach Stone Oak stupid. There's no way I could deal with that every day. It's always been bad no matter what time of day I've been up there.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:16 AM

778 posts, read 2,223,705 times
I'm with RD on this. Even with the influx of new traffic at 1604 & Culebra, the traffic is a breeze compared to every time I have been to 281/1604 unless it was at midnight.

Also, AR is all sorts of awesome from what I have seen driving through there. Somebody actually took the time to plan things out. How refreshing.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:53 AM

ha ha, I was thinking I was lost or something when I went driving back there. At first it didn't hit me, but eventually I noticed there were virtually no cars and when there were, I could just go around them or they would pass me by. It was extremely quiet too and I found that very refreshing. Only the sounds of a light wind and some birds chirping.
but that doesn't always sell houses.. for some reason a lot of people love heavy traffic, entire neighborhoods with no big trees, and a planning scheme that was maybe at the pre-school design level. Hopefully I don't offend any four year olds

* when I talk about awful planning I'm not talking about any one particular area. There's no shortage of developments in all areas that easily meet that criteria.

also, I don't know if there are any houses/lots still available, but the area outside 1604 between Wiseman and Culebra is really nice. A coworker of mine lives there and they have something like three or four acres. I guess it's been there for years, but I've never even noticed it until she told me where she lives. I haven't actually been back there, but you can't see it from 1604 because of all the trees and I consider that a very good thing. Multi-acre lots are also a nice bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio