U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 09:37 PM

4,148 posts, read 5,143,067 times
Default Does this look like like the Midwest?

These were taken about 20 miles east of DT San Antonio in

It is amazing the diversity of land here in San Antonio Metro area. You can go from the scrub brush of Hondo and Poteet to the forested hills of Boerne and North San Antonio to the sandy oak forest of La Vernia and Floresville. New berlin is situated on the southrn tip of the black belt that streatches across Texas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 11:46 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,940,339 times
No..I don't see no corn growin'

Old 12-06-2008, 04:40 AM

13,805 posts, read 18,538,912 times
my wife would love the cute cows (her words, not mine)

Old 12-06-2008, 05:02 AM

63 posts, read 96,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
my wife would love the cute cows (her words, not mine)
Those cows are outstanding in their field

Old 12-06-2008, 09:24 AM

944 posts, read 2,100,985 times
The landscape in these pictures looks nothing like the Midwest. The flora in these pictures is much scrubbier (desert-like). The soil in the Midwest is darker, almost black in places, and does not have the warm brownish-red hue.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:26 AM

2,261 posts, read 3,321,256 times
No corn, wheat, or beans and too brown for the Midwest. And the trees are too short and scrubby looking.

Although there is a New Berlin, Illinois that is only slightly bigger than the pop. posted on the sign above.

My high school played New Berlin (Illinois) in high school basketball. They were the New Berlin Pretzels, so our cheer was "E-A-T! EAT THE PRETZELS!" We were oh, so clever.

Also, New Berlin, Illinois? Pronounced BER-lin not Ber-LIN. They changed the pronunciation during WWI, or so I've been told.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
The landscape in these pictures looks nothing like the Midwest. The flora in these pictures is much scrubbier (desert-like). The soil in the Midwest is darker, almost black in places, and does not have the warm brownish-red hue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
No corn, wheat, or beans and too brown for the Midwest. And the trees are too short and scrubby looking.

Although there is a New Berlin, Illinois that is only slightly bigger than the pop. posted on the sign above.

My high school played New Berlin (Illinois) in high school basketball. They were the New Berlin Pretzels, so our cheer was "E-A-T! EAT THE PRETZELS!" We were oh, so clever.

Also, New Berlin, Illinois? Pronounced BER-lin not Ber-LIN. They changed the pronunciation during WWI, or so I've been told.
Maybe the picture does not do the trees justice but those trees are are 50-80 feet tall Elm and Live oak. The "scrub" you see would be mesquite.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:41 AM

Where do you see red soil at?

His ranch is solid black dirt. This is the southern end of black land prairie that extends all the way to the Midwest.

As for the crops we are in December after 4 freezes. Does Iowa still have corn growing???

I asked a question you two ladies responded with the same negative BS you spew all over this board.

Sorry Hello TEXAS is not you beloved California.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:52 AM

5,446 posts, read 6,117,518 times
More trees and bushes than I see on many stretches of I-55 from south of Joliet through about Lincoln, IL. Now the river valleys and towns have many trees. But the fields are converted prairie not cleared woodlans so trees are sparse in many areas. Only trees planted are near the homestead and to provide windbreak between fields.
The tree and brush species also look different and the trees do grow taller in the Midwest, possibly because of more precipitation.
But the comparison is not too far fetched. Thanks for the photos.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:51 PM

944 posts, read 2,100,985 times
Okay, I dig your logic Ryneone. It was negative for me to suggest that the dirt in your Texas photographs is more brownish red than black midwest soil, and that the flora was more desert-like than it is in the Midwest. Also according to your logic, my comparison was somehow related to my views of California. When I complain on these boards, it's precisely thinking like that that I'm complaining about, and it just drives the stereotypes even deeper. Keep on thinkin' there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio