Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:20 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
The $315k aint nothing, by the end of her 3rd year, its up to $355k, almost $30k per month. 10percent increases per year. with escalators, as they call em. nice, and "in case of “involuntary termination.” The current contract allows for 12 months of pay; the new one increases it to 15 months in 2009, 18 months in 2010 and 21 months in 2011. "

Damn, fire me, I can afford not to work for that kinda money. !!
The vast majority of city employees in the department with which I'm most familiar earn less than $30K per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 01:04 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
The vast majority of city employees in the department with which I'm most familiar earn less than $30K per year.
Wow..that's terrible! Wayyy underpaid IMO (the people that actually do some work, that is )

Old 12-12-2008, 01:15 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,907 times
Quote:
I think it's a weak argument to say because we can't help all the people, we're only going to help one - the one at the top already.

City employees are often told:
*that they should accept their low wages out of a sense of "dedication and duty" to the greater cause.
*That being a civil servant is rewarding in itself because you're doing something for the community.
*That this is a low income city and simply can't afford to pay higher wages.
*That the low wages are offset by the 'good' benefits offered (Benefits are pretty good, but they don't put food on the table or pay the mortgage - or pay off the student loans).
*To accept no cost-of-living raise in years until a strike finally occurs, and even then it's minimal.

Most accept all that, for a variety of reasons. But to then have a city manager who wants even more money, during a time of recession, who has only been in her job a few years, just appears greedy on her part. I don't doubt she's probably worth it. I think it shows how little in touch she is with the city she's representing.

(there are some crappy city employees who don't deserve the job at all, but many more who work long hours, frequent UNPAID overtime, are on call 24/7 with no compensation and who go the extra mile because they DO believe in service, despite the lousy pay)
Chaka:

First, that's not really my argument. To give Sculley a $20k/year raise is practical. To give each of the 10,000+ CoSA employees a 10% raise is not. It's not fair, but it's reality.

The fact of the matter is that anyone who works for CoSA is free to leave and pursue other jobs that offer more money. And many do. But (and I don't mean to sound harsh here) the majority of CoSA employees are easily replaced. Surely you don't think the same is true of a CM of Sculley's caliber.

Now, please understand: I think CoSA employees should be paid more. They are almost all underpaid, along with teachers, police & fire, social workers, etc., and that reflects poorly on this city's priorities. In fact, if any politician proposed a modest ad valorem tax increase to increase pay and benefits for our employees, I'd probably support it (although you & I both know there's not a chance in hell of that happening). But CoSa employees know the pay scale when they apply for and accept their jobs.

Also, you should know that Sculley didn't ask for a raise. She received a raise because City Council & Mayor Hardberger wanted to demonstrate how much we value her work. And whether or not it's fair that she makes 10 times more than other CoSA workers, she is absolutely worth every penny.

Here's a question: what do you think is fair for someone with her job (overseeing 10,000+ employees and a $2.3B budget) to make?

Old 12-12-2008, 02:38 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,426,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Chaka:

First, that's not really my argument. To give Sculley a $20k/year raise is practical. To give each of the 10,000+ CoSA employees a 10% raise is not. It's not fair, but it's reality.

The fact of the matter is that anyone who works for CoSA is free to leave and pursue other jobs that offer more money. And many do. But (and I don't mean to sound harsh here) the majority of CoSA employees are easily replaced. Surely you don't think the same is true of a CM of Sculley's caliber.

Now, please understand: I think CoSA employees should be paid more. They are almost all underpaid, along with teachers, police & fire, social workers, etc., and that reflects poorly on this city's priorities. In fact, if any politician proposed a modest ad valorem tax increase to increase pay and benefits for our employees, I'd probably support it (although you & I both know there's not a chance in hell of that happening). But CoSa employees know the pay scale when they apply for and accept their jobs.

Also, you should know that Sculley didn't ask for a raise. She received a raise because City Council & Mayor Hardberger wanted to demonstrate how much we value her work. And whether or not it's fair that she makes 10 times more than other CoSA workers, she is absolutely worth every penny.

Here's a question: what do you think is fair for someone with her job (overseeing 10,000+ employees and a $2.3B budget) to make?
Well said.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:42 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,694 times
Who is talking 10%? The news said that the SA employees might not be getting their annual cost of living (which is about 3%)

Old 12-12-2008, 03:58 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygreeniii View Post
Who is talking 10%? The news said that the SA employees might not be getting their annual cost of living (which is about 3%)
It was a hypothetical amount. Most CoSA workers deserve at least a 10% raise.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Chaka:

I think you're misunderstanding my point and I don't want to go round and round on the same issue.

I will say only this: In her position, the most respectable thing to do would be to say "Thanks for the praise but no thanks for the raise. I won't take a raise in this economic climate, it would be inappropriate. I will make the same sacrifices I ask of all my city employees."

(btw - as I've said I think it's perfectly fair she makes her current salary. I don't expect someone at that level to make the same as the admin asst. I do expect someone at that level to be respectful of the people she serves.)

Old 12-12-2008, 04:51 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,694 times
Quote:
It was a hypothetical amount. Most CoSA workers deserve at least a 10% raise.
Too bad they might not be getting the hypothetical 3% either.......er...wait a minute....

Old 12-12-2008, 05:42 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,120 times
Quote:
Why don't take a look at these and then tell me you know what you are talking about.

Welcome To The City of San Antonio Human Resources Department

Court reporter +32,000
Librarian $42,345.29 - $63,517.93 / Annually
Fleet Maintenance $13.47 - $18.27 / Hourly
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT $31,814.64 - $47,721.96 / Annually

Old 12-13-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Why don't take a look at these and then tell me you know what you are talking about.

Welcome To The City of San Antonio Human Resources Department

Court reporter +32,000
Librarian $42,345.29 - $63,517.93 / Annually
Fleet Maintenance $13.47 - $18.27 / Hourly
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT $31,814.64 - $47,721.96 / Annually
4 new positions great.

Since I had to do the budgets of some,I'm pretty sure I know their specific salaries and they were less than $30K. I know because I was shocked, esp. as some had college degrees.

The range is meaningless. The city can not offer more than a few % over the base without a special request to the city manager which doesn't happen very often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio