Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 10:51 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times

Advertisements

It's just a funny angle........I'm sure he was awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 11:37 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
do you have any formal training in photography? I noticed some really good framing and a lot of the leading lines were perfect. and how do you like the D40? I always wanted a Nikon SLR back in my photographer days, but they were too expensive. I've seen the D40 for close to $400 and that's a much better price. The clarity of the lens was excellent in those shots.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:49 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
do you have any formal training in photography? I noticed some really good framing and a lot of the leading lines were perfect. and how do you like the D40? I always wanted a Nikon SLR back in my photographer days, but they were too expensive. I've seen the D40 for close to $400 and that's a much better price. The clarity of the lens was excellent in those shots.
wow, thanks alot, that is a great compliment --- no, i don't have any training what-so-ever...but i love to take pics and i keep telling dh that i would love to take a class --- i may just start buying a few books ---

i have had my d40 for over a year and things are finally settling down where i am ready to start learning the actual camera and not just shoot in automatic --- i am trying to shoot in manual mode more and i am tring to use my light metering --- i am horrible at understanding apperture and iso exposure and shutter speed...i think if i can get that stuff down then my pictures would really excel...

i love my camera...it is really great for the price and since i just want clean/crisp shots it's perfect for me --- i really love that it has no delay when you take the picture --- that's the real reason i bought it...with kids by the time most digi cams take the picture the kids are running out of the shot, so i needed something that took and instant picture...

thanks again for your words, it reassures me that i am doing something right...

Last edited by mrstxcop; 12-13-2008 at 11:59 AM..

Old 12-13-2008, 12:08 PM

well, some people have it and some don't I think. I think it would be interesting for you to take a class because you'll probably "learn" quite a few things you already know, but didn't know you knew them.
my favorite was the two girls and the boy walking down that path. the path led to the right, the shadows came across to the left and all three kids appeared to be walking in different directions to get to the same point. I also liked the tree framing the Tower and the diagonal wall line in front of the new Hyatt. I've never seen it, so I don't know if that's how it's supposed to go or if you just got a really good angle of it.

and just remember that the aperture (f-stop) controls the depth of field. If you want a lot of depth of field you need a high f-stop number (small aperture) and you use the shutter speed to get you there. Low light requires either a slow shutter speed or a wide open aperture (low f-stop). It's best to use a tripod to keep the shutter speed down so you can use a smaller aperture (in a low light situation), unless you only want your main subject to be in focus of course. As far as the auto settings, they use that same information and apply it better and faster than we ever could.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:00 PM

56 posts, read 227,698 times
Great pics, wheres the pic of you dressed like an elf?

Did you get a chance to go by Incarnate Word and see the lights?

Old 12-13-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres View Post
Great pics, wheres the pic of you dressed like an elf?

Did you get a chance to go by Incarnate Word and see the lights?
yeah, the elf costume...ummm...ain't gonna happen...LOL!!!

no, we have not gone to Incy Word...we do want to take the kiddos though...i am thinking the week they are out on Christmas vacation we will go during the week, when it's not so trafficy...

Old 12-13-2008, 09:54 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,520 times
by any chance are you the cop in the right side of the pic? if so were you ever stationed at dominguez?

nice pics, I'm thinking of strolling down there tommorrow before I go south for the rest of the winter! lol

Old 12-15-2008, 12:56 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
well, some people have it and some don't I think. I think it would be interesting for you to take a class because you'll probably "learn" quite a few things you already know, but didn't know you knew them.
my favorite was the two girls and the boy walking down that path. the path led to the right, the shadows came across to the left and all three kids appeared to be walking in different directions to get to the same point. I also liked the tree framing the Tower and the diagonal wall line in front of the new Hyatt. I've never seen it, so I don't know if that's how it's supposed to go or if you just got a really good angle of it.

and just remember that the aperture (f-stop) controls the depth of field. If you want a lot of depth of field you need a high f-stop number (small aperture) and you use the shutter speed to get you there. Low light requires either a slow shutter speed or a wide open aperture (low f-stop). It's best to use a tripod to keep the shutter speed down so you can use a smaller aperture (in a low light situation), unless you only want your main subject to be in focus of course. As far as the auto settings, they use that same information and apply it better and faster than we ever could.
Rd2007,
I have been using a Nikon D40 for many months now and love it. I worked my way through college doing photography with a Nikon FG-3, so am a fan of the whole Nikon Brand. My last 35mm camera was a Nikon N-70, so I am not altogether non-partial in this area. I much prefer natural light photography, so a Nikon D40 with a sturdy tripod and plenty of patience usually gets me the shots I want. However, for quicker, more hand-held shots, I actually prefer using a more lightweight Panasonic Lumix camera with a built-in Leica lens. I took this camera through-out Italy last year and came back with some amazing shots.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:22 AM

back in my photographer days I was a Canon fanboy and a Nikon hater. Now I'd really like to have a D-60 and they had some hella deals on it yesterday. The body plus I think it was a 28-55 and 55-200 or something like that for only $599. Too bad I've already bought too many presents.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
back in my photographer days I was a Canon fanboy and a Nikon hater. Now I'd really like to have a D-60 and they had some hella deals on it yesterday. The body plus I think it was a 28-55 and 55-200 or something like that for only $599. Too bad I've already bought too many presents.
ouch...i bet that was a hard deal to pass up...i know my camera came with the 28-55 but for the 55-200 i may have taken the plunge...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio