Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:44 PM

50 posts, read 200,883 times

Advertisements

One thing that I have found that helps my kids with transitioning each move (and being a millitary family that happens often) is putting them both in scouts. The quality of friends they seem to make in scouts is exactly the kind of kids I want my kids to befriend. We had only been here a few weeks when we got them both settled into their new troop/den and their friends were already calling and wanting to hang out. The nice thing about that is that that good group of friends that they hang out with out scouts will be their friends at their school too, which may steer them away from the crowd we don't want our kids hanging with. Like the crowd of friends you mentioned your son was trying to impress. Their friends at scouts are all learning the same core values at scout meetings so it's actually cool NOT to do the bad things you mentioned. Instead it's "cool" to volunteer at the food bank, or go camping, or build pinewood cars for the pinewood derby. Plus if he sticks with it there's lots of college scholarships for kids who earn their eagle scout. I don't know if you think your son might be interested in Boy Scouts, but if he is maybe I can find out which den he would be in and have the den leader contact you, if you'd like. Just an idea that seems to really work for my kiddos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 12:14 AM

135 posts, read 513,078 times
Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it! If we get to a point where I think it's necessary, I'll definitely let you know. We are, however, trying a similar approach. We, as a family, signed up for the YMCA & have signed our son up for sports. We're hoping this will help him make appropriate friends. We were not sure if this was the right thing to do, but the Assistant Sports Director at the YMCA told me he thinks the sports is a good way to go. He said he had a really rough childhood (grew up in the Alazan Apache courts) & when he started getting into trouble & whatnot his mother immediately put him in sports. He seems to think that's the only thing that helped keep him on the right track & get him to where he is today. Kind of like my husband, only he was a "band geek" (which is why he suggested we get our son involved in something) & grew up in the Edgewood district.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:33 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,177 times
Firm believer kids need to be involved in something, sports, band, church, ymca/scouts, theatre....anything. Something to keep them focused and they learn that being part of a group means not letting your peers down either. They will use that skill later in the real working world.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:59 AM

32 posts, read 77,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momzillajen View Post
I just thought I'd second the vote for Tejeda, though, if you do decide to come out this way (lots of new developments and existing for-sale houses in several price ranges, but probably a long commute as you said).

The elementary schools and high schools that feed into/out of Tejeda are awesome too...
Hello!

We are in the process of relocating to the SA area. I am doing my best to research as much as I can. Can you give me the names of any developments in the $250,000-$350,000 range in these school areas? We have two elementary are children (2nd, 3rd grade) so schools are VERY important to us.

Thanks so much for your help!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:10 AM

436 posts, read 1,614,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdoodah View Post
Hello!

We are in the process of relocating to the SA area. I am doing my best to research as much as I can. Can you give me the names of any developments in the $250,000-$350,000 range in these school areas? We have two elementary are children (2nd, 3rd grade) so schools are VERY important to us.

I live on the other side of town, so I do not have any neighborhoods to recommend, but make sure you check out whether or not a school is capped before you get your heart set on a house. we just moved over the summer and were surprised to find out about school capping. there are plenty of threads you could look at to explain it to you. (don't have one handy, sorry).

Old 12-15-2008, 05:05 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdoodah View Post
Hello!

Tejeda is in the 78258 and 78259 zipcode, Bush (identical) is in the 78258 zip. Tejeda feeds into Johnson, Bush feeds into Reagan. Both are in NEISD.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:07 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnzFam View Post
Taking parent concerns seriously is a biggie with me. When I was trying to get ahold of the elementary school Principal I left several voicemails & he didn't even have the courtesy to call back. I finally had to go to the school. As always he was "unavailable" but I did get in to speak with the VP. We were really happy after talking with her, but then all that changed when she didn't do the things she was suppossed to do (main thing was getting our son into see the school counselor). In the very least, she didn't even follow-up with me in "a day or two" as she said she would & wouldn't return my calls. I guess she thought she would just sweep the issues under the rug & we'd all forget about them. NOPE. It took me going back to the school a week later & demanding an appointment with the Principal (who is IMO, the biggeest BS'er of them all). I'm not about to send our daughter to that school (Kindergarten) when they can't even return a parent phone call in a timely manner, or at all.
From National School PR Association:
Signs that your school is community friendly

*The outside appearance of the school and grounds is clean and well groomed.
*The entrance to the building is clearly marked and accessible. Signs directing visitors to sign-in at the office are very visible.
*Front office and visitor waiting areas are warm and inviting. Visitors are greeted promptly and courteously.
*Halls and classrooms are clean and neat. Student work is prominently displayed.
*Cafeteria and kitchen areas are clean and orderly. Trash containers are plentiful and tables are clear of trays when students are not present.
*Telephones are answered by the third ring in a friendly and responsive manner.
*When telephone messages are taken, a return call is made as soon as possible. All calls are returned within 24 hours.
*The school marquee displays useful and timely information at all times.

Last edited by pobre; 12-15-2008 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: formatting

Old 12-16-2008, 12:58 AM

50 posts, read 200,883 times
Default Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Firm believer kids need to be involved in something, sports, band, church, ymca/scouts, theatre....anything. Something to keep them focused and they learn that being part of a group means not letting your peers down either. They will use that skill later in the real working world.
Amen my sista!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:26 PM

135 posts, read 513,078 times
When I picked my son up from school today he informed that tomorrow his class will be "watched" by parent volunteers. At first I thought he meant they would be sitting in on the class, but he went on to explain that the teachers are having their "Holiday Celebration" aka Christmas party & these parent volunteers will basically be babysitting (suppossedly they'll be doing "fun activities"). They are having their Christmas party during school hours ... yet didn't even bother to at least get real substitutes?!! I was at HEB so I had my hubby call the school to verify this info & they said it's true & asked him if he wanted to be a volunteer!

So tomorrow I'll be keeping our son home & will also be letting the school, as well as the administration offices, know just what I think about this nonsense.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:48 PM

311 posts, read 846,082 times
Mtnz, I've never heard of such a thing & can sure see why that would upset you!!!

Sapphire,
I'm glad to read your comments about Connoly (sp?) because our daughter will be there before long. I hope that guy stays around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio