U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 11:00 AM

107 posts, read 216,469 times

Advertisements

IMO San Antonio has a couple of major problems when it comes to wealth and quility of life.
I have not lived here for very long but compared to other major cities, San Antonio is lacking what it takes to become a city of strong wealth that will last for the years to come.
I am an accountant for a small firm who audits major companys. When I see what these comps are paying new white collar workers with college degrees and experince, I am totally shocked and floored. 10-12$ an hour for college grads between 25-30 is a joke and does not sustain a long lasting working class that will build wealth and commuity with in the city.

Most places understand this but San Antonio seems ingnorant. In other cities, you have areas within the area where young profesionals who are not interested in marriage or having kids and are commited to their careers and living that type of life can live and rent condos or apartments with the same like minded people. Here, there seems to be no such thing outside places that cost way to much for people starting out or on their way up.

Yes, Housing prices are low compared to other places, but to these people, that does not matter at all. What Happens is this type all move away for the most part to other cities and towns and help enchance other places economy.

I was talking to a 25 years old Grad of the UTSA who is moving to Austin, because she said there is nothing in SA that is better than any other place for somewhere who could care less about shopping at HEB with the whole family, or eating a friday meal at Bill Millers or getting married and having kids and buying a house right now. She wanted to stay in SA to be close to family, but it was killing her and she had to get out of town. She said that all of her college friends have left and her high school frieds are married with kids working retail jobs or they have moved on from SA also.

So with most the young profesionals leaveing town, you end up with the "rich" segragating themself to a couple of areas, and what is left is suburbia.

YOu end up having "middle of the road" white collar workers who work hard, but might not be the best of the best. This will just allow the cycle to continue on and on.

I know this is not 100% true for everything, but over all, It is just the way I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,673 times
Default Lipps Estate

Mrs. Lipps must have loved her husband very much to have had a lower level room built in her husbands Mausoleum, where she stayed many a nights... Mrs. Lipps now rest with her husband, the mausoleum is filled with may valuable & cherished items, personal & furniture... Lords of Londons comes once a year to audit the items. It is a very beautiful Mausoleum... at Sunset Cemetery on Austin Hwy.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:34 AM

4,263 posts, read 9,690,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delafuente View Post
Mrs. Lipps must have loved her husband very much to have had a lower level room built in her husbands Mausoleum, where she stayed many a nights... Mrs. Lipps now rest with her husband, the mausoleum is filled with may valuable & cherished items, personal & furniture... Lords of Londons comes once a year to audit the items. It is a very beautiful Mausoleum... at Sunset Cemetery on Austin Hwy.
You mean "Lloyd's of London"?

Lloyd's of London homepage

Old 11-08-2009, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,568 times
Cobolo Canyon is one of the newest areas, it features millon dollar homes along with homes starting at 300,000. The BIG perk is the largest Marriot is being built on TPC Pkwy where this exclusive neighborhood is located, along with 2 golf courses. Its a beautiful area, the homes seem to be selling like hotcakes!

Old 05-11-2011, 02:36 AM

3 posts, read 7,994 times
Smile re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
That's the Letcher Brown estate. It's my favorite house in San Antonio. It was previously owned by the inventor of the arterial stent.
Yes It was known (back in the day) for being known as the Brown estate, however my parents property borders it and it is distinctively known as Oak Court. Now owned by private art collectors

Old 05-11-2011, 03:37 AM

3 posts, read 7,994 times
Default re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
09er, the Lutcher Brown Estate is no big secret.
He was an East Texas Lumber Baron.
Built that home in about 1928.
Atlee B. Ayers was the Architect.

I spent about a year there in the early 1980s,
restoring the ornamental plasterwork.

At that time, it was owned by UTSA.
They sold it a year or so later to the UTSA professor
that invented something or another, for 1.2 million.
(UTSA paid over a million to redo the foundation alone.)

At that time it was 19 acres.

The Doctor sold off three acres right away,
and probably paid for the estate right there.

Carriage House, Cabana, Guest House, Main House, etc.

16 bathrooms in the Main House, if I remember correctly.
All were Marble lined, except for the Maid and Butlers.

The kitchen was probably bigger than my house (1200 sq ft).

The Formal Dining Room had a wraparound mural
oil painted above the wainscot to the ceiling.
Depicted a FoxHunt - starting with the saddle-up,
moving around the room, horsemen and dogs chasing the fox,
etc etc etc, Finally at the end, you only see the foxes tail,
cause he is escaping into a hole in the ground.

Tired of typing............

mud
Yes It was known (back in the day) for being known as the Brown Estate, however my friends parents property borders it and it is distinctively known as Oak Court. Now owned by private art collectors the Humphrey's The taxes alone on it are like $280k more or less. We used to climb a tree to jump over the fence to prance on the mansion grounds growing up. We even snuck in the pool several times as a child and teen just to feel like a King!

Old 05-11-2011, 09:29 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,183,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfishlady View Post
thank you

where does no money live?
in the ghetto (south, east and west sides of town)

Old 05-11-2011, 09:34 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,176,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
in the ghetto (south, east and west sides of town)
You forgot the Medical Center.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
You forgot the Medical Center.
slowly but surely, the med center is indeed spot on to become the next ghetto side of san antonio. i used to live on data point before all the scum took it over. right as i left that area, cops would patrol hourly, pull over random people for no reason, walk around and question everyone. glad theyre cleaning that area up, or trying too... but it should have never gotten that out of hand to begin with

Old 05-11-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMP View Post
IMO San Antonio has a couple of major problems when it comes to wealth and quility of life.
I have not lived here for very long but compared to other major cities, San Antonio is lacking what it takes to become a city of strong wealth that will last for the years to come.
I am an accountant for a small firm who audits major companys. When I see what these comps are paying new white collar workers with college degrees and experince, I am totally shocked and floored. 10-12$ an hour for college grads between 25-30 is a joke and does not sustain a long lasting working class that will build wealth and commuity with in the city.
LOL 12 an hour for a college grad. i know people (some very close to me) who have little to no college that make more than that and have a pension and gov't backed 401k.

college grad... LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or