Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 01:48 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I still don't believe anyone has adequately or satisfactorily answered the question as to what the difference is between "rich" and "wealthy".

TT....I think you said it best above. Your opinion is that they are synonymous. Apparently others have differing ideas. It's really relative to each individual and doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 09:28 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
No, it doesn't matter, really. I just get a wild hair sometimes and when someone says something and claims there is a "big difference" between two things, I just think they should be able to clarify their position.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:05 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
No, it doesn't matter, really. I just get a wild hair sometimes and when someone says something and claims there is a "big difference" between two things, I just think they should be able to clarify their position.
That makes sense. We all get those wild hairs!

Old 04-05-2007, 04:44 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,707 times
I'll try to step in. Wealthy, generally, reflects more generational assets (parents/grandparents were well off) and a broad, older-money sensibility. Rich tends to be more based on a high income and could be less stable (job loss).

Old 04-05-2007, 04:53 PM

244 posts, read 1,092,712 times
Actually I have a new appreciation for Alamo Heights. It may not look like much but when I was in San Antonio looking at real estate, I noticed the sq ft./dollar amount in AH was significantly higher than other parts of San Antonio.

$400k got you a 60 year old 3 bed two bath ranch, maybe 2,500 square feet.

I like Alamo Heights.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:10 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
As Chris Rock puts it:

''Wealth is passed down from generation to generation. Rich is something you could lose with a crazy son with a drug habit.''

''Shaquille O'Neal is rich, the white man that signs his check is wealthy.''

Great quote. This is so true...

Old 04-18-2007, 10:15 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,931 times
Why has no one mentioned Hill Country Village? Probably some of the wealthiest homes in San Antonio are in this little known community of large estates. For those of you that are interested go to www.BCAD.org and search for Kolitz and the property with a 425 W Bitters road address.

This is a new estate in Hill Country Village right off Bitter's Road that is 30 acres with the main house of 25,000 square feet. In addition, it has 4,000 square feet of garage space, 2,000 square feet of servants quarters and thousands of square feet of exterior porches. All in all the compound is over 30,000 square feet on a 30 acre lot complete with a small lake and unbelievable grounds. I was in it two years ago right before the owner's moved it and was awe struck at the interior and size of the home. It has a 1,100 square foot wine cellar down in the slab...the owner's suite is 4,000 square feet complete with a 1,000 square foot closet.

I know the general contractor and he told me the budget for the property, construction and finish work was $1,000 square foot. If you drive down Bitters Road at the top of the hill you will see a large stone entrance cut into the side of a bluff - that is the entrance. Go to www.local.live.com (broken link) and check it out. By far the nicest home in San Antonio and brand new. There are many homes in HCV that are over 10,000 square feet. These folks are truly wealthy.

When you factor in the size of their lots and the value of the land itself and they rival many estates in Texas - including Dallas and Houston.

Last edited by banker; 04-18-2007 at 11:42 AM..

Old 04-30-2007, 10:59 PM

179 posts, read 119,934 times
SA is not a hot bed of wealth but there is money here. Olmos Park, Terrill Hills, and Alamo Heights is where it's at. It's just so few of them in relation to the general population that it is totally outshadowed by the lower class. You don't get a "wealthy vibe" in SA.

I don't know how those folks do it. I'd be miserable. A sea of money in a very economically disadvantaged city.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:52 PM

898 posts, read 2,563,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Why has no one mentioned Hill Country Village? Probably some of the wealthiest homes in San Antonio are in this little known community of large estates. For those of you that are interested go to www.BCAD.org and search for Kolitz and the property with a 425 W Bitters road address.

This is a new estate in Hill Country Village right off Bitter's Road that is 30 acres with the main house of 25,000 square feet. In addition, it has 4,000 square feet of garage space, 2,000 square feet of servants quarters and thousands of square feet of exterior porches. All in all the compound is over 30,000 square feet on a 30 acre lot complete with a small lake and unbelievable grounds. I was in it two years ago right before the owner's moved it and was awe struck at the interior and size of the home. It has a 1,100 square foot wine cellar down in the slab...the owner's suite is 4,000 square feet complete with a 1,000 square foot closet.

I know the general contractor and he told me the budget for the property, construction and finish work was $1,000 square foot. If you drive down Bitters Road at the top of the hill you will see a large stone entrance cut into the side of a bluff - that is the entrance. Go to www.local.live.com (broken link) and check it out. By far the nicest home in San Antonio and brand new. There are many homes in HCV that are over 10,000 square feet. These folks are truly wealthy.

When you factor in the size of their lots and the value of the land itself and they rival many estates in Texas - including Dallas and Houston.
I always thought there had to be alot of money wherever that road led. It took at least a year to build that entrance

Old 05-01-2007, 06:37 PM

562 posts, read 660,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post
Actually I have a new appreciation for Alamo Heights. It may not look like much but when I was in San Antonio looking at real estate, I noticed the sq ft./dollar amount in AH was significantly higher than other parts of San Antonio.

$400k got you a 60 year old 3 bed two bath ranch, maybe 2,500 square feet.

I like Alamo Heights.

The cost to live in Alamo Heights these days is INSANE. That's why everywhere you look over there, you see FOR SALE signs. The WEALTHY/RICH didn't get that way by being STUPID - and the cost of the homes and taxes in AH these days IS stupid!

A tiny little plot of land with a 3200 sq. ft home, no garage, and almost no yard was seen going for $699,000 (I contacted the realtor to get the price). The realtor said "But it's the prestige, the schools, and --- more AH kids go to IVY LEAGUE schools than anywhere else in SA--- etc". How ridiculous!

Soon, Alamo Heights will either be abandonded, or the real estate cost will HAVE to come down. All the SMART people are selling off and moving to other parts of town where they can get a home 3-4 times larger with a BIG yard, big garage and pay a LOT less for the house and a LOT less in property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio