Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:23 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times

Advertisements

Making friends in a new city is a slow, painstaking process. First thing is to either find common ground or interests, usually via work contacts, and gradually expand your circle of contacts. It takes time, but it'll be worth it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 06:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,893 times
Open a chain restaurant or low-grade home products store that Austin has but San Antonio does not.......

Old 03-24-2013, 11:42 AM

3 posts, read 3,185 times
Default we are in the same situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bea0570 View Post
Hello my husband and I have lived in San Antonio for the last 3 years and we are about the same as you when trying to make friends. We are a military family and have lived in Europe (Germany and Italy) before we came here. We are not a young couple but not old either, were in our late 30’s, and do not have any kids. We like to travel and go to the movies every now and then, and we are always up for a good dinner out accompanied by good conversation. We love dogs and have 2 yellow Labradors. San Antonio is a beautiful city but the people here are not that friendly like everyone says they are. I’m Italian and my husband is originally from New York so we both share different cultures and views.
My husband and I are living in PA and like to establish some online friends at TX, just for fun

Old 03-24-2013, 12:32 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
Default The best way

The best way to make friends in San Antonio is to come to this forum and say:

"Hey save this YANKEE some space! I have to get the heck out of this snowbelt." Step back and see all the invitations come in. Right guys!

Old 03-24-2013, 01:33 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
The best way to make friends in San Antonio is to come to this forum and say:

"Hey save this YANKEE some space! I have to get the heck out of this snowbelt." Step back and see all the invitations come in. Right guys!

Once you move here you'll understand!

Old 12-17-2013, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
You've come to the right place to meet people!!! I have met TON of people off of the internet (many on City Data) and ALL of them have been great! I'm not sure where you are moving to in SA, but a many of the people I've met have lived on the Far West side and have been awesome! It's almost like we have our own little community right here. We have a book and cook club, we get together for dining out or get togethers. I also have started a cooking club, I've met people all over the city. I think it would be easy to meet people if you go out and look for them! Good luck!
Oh that sounds like a great time. We moved here an just dont know where to go or how to meet folks here we are outgoing people an love to do things but im just stumped, since i moved from a place that i grew up an my boyfriend is from south tx we just dont know where an how to do this since i knew everyone from where i came from. We would just love to get out an have fun an do things but if you ahve any advice i would apperciate any words of wisdom that you could offer.

Thanks

Old 01-02-2014, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 732 times
Hi CameraGirl,
We moved here 12 years ago for a job. We have lived in a very nice neighborhood on the north side and thought it would be wonderful. Not so. We even had a high school teacher tell our daughter she was "lucky" to be "allowed" to participate in theater, let alone get a part in the plays, because she is an"outsider". Friendly....not so much to out of staters. We only know one neighbor in all this time. We have repeatedly invited people over, to go out, just to go for a walk...
We are moving next summer, to go back to where people aren't so judgmental. Good luck if you do move here....I have spoken with other families that have lived here as well and moved as soon as possible............

Old 01-02-2014, 02:46 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDT View Post
Hi CameraGirl,
We moved here 12 years ago for a job. We have lived in a very nice neighborhood on the north side and thought it would be wonderful. Not so. We even had a high school teacher tell our daughter she was "lucky" to be "allowed" to participate in theater, let alone get a part in the plays, because she is an"outsider". Friendly....not so much to out of staters. We only know one neighbor in all this time. We have repeatedly invited people over, to go out, just to go for a walk...
We are moving next summer, to go back to where people aren't so judgmental. Good luck if you do move here....I have spoken with other families that have lived here as well and moved as soon as possible............
This is a bunch of BS.

It is my personal experience from posters here on CD that usually the people that move here can be the rudest of the bunch living here in San Antonio. Not saying YOU are one of them, but I can think of several individuals from states like California, Florida, etc.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:27 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDT View Post
Hi CameraGirl,
Now, I know HS girls and girl "drama". I bet there is more to the story than a teacher simply saying she "is an outsider". Just sayin'.....

Old 01-03-2014, 10:29 AM

193 posts, read 437,719 times
Join Meetup.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio