U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:57 AM

4,263 posts, read 6,706,573 times
Default Traffic Ticket Assistance...

My wife was pulled over and given a ticket for window tinting being too dark on the front (driver + passenger) windows. I'm not denying that the tint is dark..it's very dark. Just wanted to make sure that this ticket doesn't affect our auto insurance here in Texas. If it does, can she take a defensive driving course and have it dismissed, as in California?
Should I just pay the ticket if it doesn't affect our insurance rate?
Both of our driving records are stellar...and we've had no other tickets in the past. Thanks for any help.

This was Bexar County Sheriff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:59 AM

3,468 posts, read 5,478,767 times
Ugh! BCSD pulled my daughter over for that, too. They had some thing that he held up to the window to see if her window fit within the guidelines. Hers did, but it was close. Do you know if the Sheriff did that with your wife's car?

Other than that, I'm no help at all. (Yeah, I know ~ what else is new? )

Old 12-16-2008, 09:06 AM

13,805 posts, read 17,890,710 times
it should be a fix-it ticket. get the tint scraped and show them that it's gone. then go back and get legal tint.. I was tempted to get some nice dark tint, but I work on base and figured they'd bust me for it.
Please let me know what happens because my son has dark tint and if it's going to mess with my insurance rates I'm going to have him scrape it today.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
it should be a fix-it ticket. get the tint scraped and show them that it's gone. then go back and get legal tint.. I was tempted to get some nice dark tint, but I work on base and figured they'd bust me for it.
Please let me know what happens because my son has dark tint and if it's going to mess with my insurance rates I'm going to have him scrape it today.
I just called my insurance agent..he said that it wouldn't affect our insurance rates since it isn't considered a moving violation. He also said that my wife could take a defensive driving course and the court would dismiss the ticket.
The fine seems to be $190 for the ticket. The defensive driving course would be $110 or so..thereby saving $80. My agent also said that we would receive a 10% discount on our auto insurance just for taking the course.
Sounds like a deal to me. She's a stay at home mom and has plenty of time to take the course on line.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:58 AM

Just be careful when you come home that day, because she's not going to be in a good mood.. that class is like 6 or 7 hours of torture

and $190? eesh, I'm going to have to let my son know what he is risking. I thought it was just a fix-it ticket like a burned out brake light

Old 12-16-2008, 10:00 AM

2,519 posts, read 5,169,176 times
I would also check out who put the tint on the windows. If you got it from reputable place and didnt get too dark then a document certifying that will also get the ticket dismissed. One cops opinion is not all it takes. A different daylight makes the difference. If you got aftermarket, and its too dark, well, you can have it changed, one window, lighter, and also have the ticket dismissed with the receipt. Your agent is correct, as long as there was nothing else on the ticket except for tinted window then it was a non-moving violation, no "points" on her record.
Points system = traffic ticket, stop sign, speeding, something like that, 1 point
accident 2 points
DUI = 3 points
get 3 points in a 3 year period, (they may have reduced that to one) and your rates increase.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Just be careful when you come home that day, because she's not going to be in a good mood.. that class is like 6 or 7 hours of torture

and $190? eesh, I'm going to have to let my son know what he is risking. I thought it was just a fix-it ticket like a burned out brake light
They have on line courses now...go at your own pace. My agent told me that they even have humorous courses.

Yeah... $190!!!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
I would also check out who put the tint on the windows. If you got it from reputable place and didnt get too dark then a document certifying that will also get the ticket dismissed. One cops opinion is not all it takes. A different daylight makes the difference. If you got aftermarket, and its too dark, well, you can have it changed, one window, lighter, and also have the ticket dismissed with the receipt. Your agent is correct, as long as there was nothing else on the ticket except for tinted window then it was a non-moving violation, no "points" on her record.
Points system = traffic ticket, stop sign, speeding, something like that, 1 point
accident 2 points
DUI = 3 points
get 3 points in a 3 year period, (they may have reduced that to one) and your rates increase.
Good info regarding the point system. Unfortunately, this tint was installed in California prior to our moving here.
Nothing else on the ticket besides the window tint.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:50 AM

9,993 posts, read 9,039,682 times
Anybody knows what's the darkest tinted window that is allowed,
my wife has smoky-glassy tinted windows on her car and I'd like to know before she gets a ticket.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:06 AM

very few places here will do anything that is not legal.

and how did you get tint on the front windows in California? Last time I lived there you couldn't get any at all. all the SUV's look retarded over there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio