Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 02:48 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times

Advertisements

Former Miami head coach Larry Coker has applied for the UTSA position.

Former Miami coach applies for UTSA job (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Former_Miami_coach_applies_for_UTSA_job.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 03:07 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,011,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Former Miami head coach Larry Coker has applied for the UTSA position.

Former Miami coach applies for UTSA job (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Former_Miami_coach_applies_for_UTSA_job.html - broken link)
Wow! That is impressive! I'd say unless there are some extreme circumstances like the desire for an unacceptable salary hire him! He would do very well in the recruiting scene, and has many connections to the NFL. Plus if UTSA is only going to be playing in the Southland Conference the first few seasons he would deffinately stack up better than well against his competators.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:22 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,503,830 times
Sweet! I remember when (and the reason I moved here) was to play in the baseball team. Long story short. I made the team at three diffrent positions only to find out that I didnt have a good credit rating to qualify for tuition *SAD.... I really liked the uniform.

Edit: I didnt qualify for a loan!

Old 02-04-2009, 07:39 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,011,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
Sweet! I remember when (and the reason I moved here) was to play in the baseball team. Long story short. I made the team at three diffrent positions only to find out that I didnt have a good credit rating to qualify for tuition *SAD.... I really liked the uniform.

Edit: I didnt qualify for a loan!
That's kinda weird.....seems like there would have been something done by the athletic dept. if you were good enough to play three positions on the baseball team. I played golf for the university (sport with much shorter budget), and was given all sorts of financial assistance including scholarship.

When was this?

Old 02-04-2009, 07:51 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,503,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
That's kinda weird.....seems like there would have been something done by the athletic dept. if you were good enough to play three positions on the baseball team. I played golf for the university (sport with much shorter budget), and was given all sorts of financial assistance including scholarship.

When was this?
2005, the reason I didnt qualify. I was a walk in. and I was previously attending college (ITT tech) so I coulnt transfer any credits. and since ITT tech made a big fuss over 100 dollars. well it turned into a bitter bitter sad story.

I still play every now and then, (lost alot of my agility gained about 20lbs) but I still have my cannon so now I just dedicate myself to giving advice to youngsters. I do play for a team when I go on Vacation wether its mexico or CA, Baseball is not that popular here. This is footbal country I did play full back in highshool but I was too short for it. Eventually I was replaced by a taller, handsomer and stronger person, and I Moved to cornerback. Lasted there untill my knee gave out. If you ever heard the real mean of genus commercialls the "overly aggresive flag football player" thats me lol!!!!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 AM

915 posts, read 1,903,435 times
Coker was not a great recruiter and let the championship program he was handed deteriorate badly. He never seemed to have a handle on his program.

There is a lot that can be said for name recognition though. It will be interesting to see who they name as coach...

Old 02-05-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
Coker was not a great recruiter and let the championship program he was handed deteriorate badly. He never seemed to have a handle on his program.

There is a lot that can be said for name recognition though. It will be interesting to see who they name as coach...
At least the name recognition is garnering interest in the program. It was mentioned on ESPN yesterday and AP put out a story.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:15 AM

604 posts, read 1,871,077 times
wait, so UTSA is going to be a Division I now???UIW starts football in the fall, but we're a Division II...

Old 02-05-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSA_wxatUIW View Post
wait, so UTSA is going to be a Division I now???UIW starts football in the fall, but we're a Division II...
UTSA will start as a FCS team, but hopes to move to FBS within a decade. All other sports will continue to play Division I.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:09 PM

UTSA turns coach hunt toward Dallas (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/local_colleges/UTSA_turns_coach_hunt_toward_Dallas.html - broken link)

The position has been narrowed to 7 finalists. Mentioned are:

Pete Fredenburg, current head coach at Mary Hardin-Baylor.
Larry Coker, former Miami head coach.
Mike MacIntyre, Dallas Cowboys assistant coach.
Bill Bradley, former assitant coach for San Diego Chargers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio