Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:28 AM

615 posts, read 1,522,314 times

Advertisements

How hard is it to get certified in Texas for a pistol permit? Is it a lengthy process?

With all of the open carry stuff coming out, it's actually much harder to find definitive information on the web about local laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
I'm pretty sure that there is only 1 gun thread allowed here, due to conflicts. Maybe the mods will move it to that thread...or the Texas forum. A brief answer to your question..it's easy (as long as you're not a felon, of course)

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 03-05-2010 at 08:45 AM..

Old 03-05-2010, 08:39 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
That "other thread" is about gun shows, shops and ranges. There may have been a few discussions on where to get Concealed Handgun License (CHL) training locally, but I can't be sure. Either way, it would be much nicer to try to answer the question instead of playing moderator!

Anyhow, everything you need to know can be found at the Texas Department of Public Safety - Regulatory Licensing Service Concealed Handgun Licensing.

You must complete a 10-hour initial training course which is offered by several companies locally. The training includes weapons qualification and a written test. Study the gun laws on the DPS web site and you'll have no problems passing it.

You then submit a package to DPS and it takes about three months to get your CHL back, at which point you can legally conceal carry anywhere that it is not prohibitted. Note that Texas does not have an open carry law! Only concealed carry is allowed in the Lone Star State.

Another good source for information is the Texas Concealed Handgun Association.

Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions.

Cheers! M2

Old 03-05-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
The other thread is about gun shows and shops. There may have been a few discussions on where to get Concealed Handgun License (CHL) training locally, but I can't be sure.

Anyhow, everything you need to know can be found at the Texas Department of Public Safety - Regulatory Licensing Service Concealed Handgun Licensing.

You must complete a 10-hour initial training course which is offered by several companies locally. The training includes weapons qualification and a written test. Study the gun laws on the DPS web site and you'll have no problems passing it.

You then submit a package to DPS and it takes about three months to get your CHL back, at which point you can legally conceal carry anywhere that it is not prohibitted. Note that Texas does not have an open carry law! Only concealed carry is allowed in the Lone Star State.

Another good source for information is the Texas Concealed Handgun Association.

Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions.

Cheers! M2
Wow, thanks a lot. Everything I needed.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I'm pretty sure that there is only 1 gun thread allowed here, due to conflicts. Maybe the mods will move it to that thread...or the Texas forum.
We'll leave it here for a day or two and decide which of those options to move it to based on the replies.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:13 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,752 times
Does anybody know where the laws reguarding carrying a gun in your vehicle can be found? I have heard many opinions about whether you need a concealed handgun licence to have a gun in your vehicle but I haven't been able to find anything in writing. I admit I probably haven't spent enough time searching but if anyone already knows where that info is I'd appreciate it.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:20 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
SnappyBob

It is the Castle Doctrine laws enacted in September 2007 that allow law-abiding Texans to carry a concealed weapon in the vehicles without a permit. I will find a link to it in a minute...

Verio

I will also try to find a list of places that offer the CHL course in San Antonio. I took mine at the Bullethole just north of Highway 90 on Grosenbacher, but if you are in another part of town there is likely someplace much closer...

Cheers! M2

Old 03-05-2010, 09:48 AM

220 posts, read 680,831 times
I took my renewal at Wetmore Shooting Sports. They also offer a variety of firearms training.

Academy Schedules (http://www.wetmoreshootingsports.com/class_schedules.htm - broken link)

Old 03-05-2010, 10:10 AM

So how does the process work? Do they supply the handgun for certification? If not, how do you get a permit to purchase one?

Im thinking cart before horse here.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:24 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Verio....welcome to Texas! We don't require permits to purchase a gun here. You go in, pick out which one you like, they run you on the FBI's background check (coupla minutes), and unless they have an issue (rare that they do) you leave with the gun. If you don't have your own gun when you take the CHL class, MOST courses offer "rental" guns you can use. One word of advice - qualify with a semi-automatic, because doing so allows you to carry either a revolver OR semi. If you qualify with a revolver, you're restricted to revolver carry only.
A LOT of us feel the course is easy - but most grew up with guns (got my first one that stayed in my room at the age of 12), and it IS easy for us. For someone new to them, it's really more about common sense than it is anything else.
There's a gun show this weekend over by Marbach/410 that'll have a ton of 'em there. You DO need to know what gun values are, because some of 'em get a little proud of what they're selling, but there's always a bunch to choose from.
I'm going Sunday morning - feel free to DM me and we could meet up. Or DM me, and I'll also give you a coupla links to some great Texas-based online discussion groups (M2 and I are on at least one of 'em together). Be glad to help any way we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio