Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 01:23 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

Now I'm curious about what those one story buildings are in the mid/upper-left of the Bitters picture.

I'm also wondering what those 6 green triangles are in the middle of the Jones Maltzberger pic are. They almost look like tennis courts but I'm sure they are one story buildings of some sort. I'm also wondering why I can't see the giant cowboy boots of North Star Mall. It seems like they would be visible in the upper right.

Ozzy....if I have my bearings straight, I believe those flat buildings are part of Interpark Industrial Park. You can see Petsmart in the foreground to the left.

RE: the boots! I think this pic just missed them. If you look at the top center of that picture, you can see an emerald green glass building. That's the Time Warner "Paragon" building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 01:27 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Yes, Palm Desert is near Palm Springs. It's all in the Coachella Valley. We did try it here in SA. It's a lovely place with a lot of friendly people, but deep down we are just Californians and we miss our friends, family and of course, CA weather! The traffic here is a little bit too much for us too. It's a nice place, but it's just not for us, but at least we got to experience it anyway. Yes, we had drought conditions in Palm Desert too. You pay through the nose for water use and also for air conditioning, but we are used to it.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:41 PM

170 posts, read 761,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Bummer! Thought this thread was gonna be about the new restaurant downtown called "Green"!! (Great new vegitarian place! We eat there for lunch most every day!! )

Nice pictures, tho! And I for one, think that dormant grass in the winter time helps me to appreciate it that much more when it does go nice and green! But that's me.
Jules,
I'm so jealous I have not gotten to eat at that new restaurant. I lived in SA 30 years and have been a vegetarian for the last six years. I am now living in Co Springs and I think they opened "green" right after I left. I hope they are getting a lot of business and I hope it stays around. I will definitely try it when I go back to visit family. I will try to convince my meat-eating family members to give it a try...it's not like people HAVE to eat meat at every meal.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:51 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Hi Minz,
Bummer that you missed it! And yeah, definately try it out when you come back to visit. And for your family, there are tons of things that non-vegitarians will love. Matter of fact, I wouldn't say that I'm fully vegitarian yet, but Green is quickly converting me! And yes, they are very busy! Yea!

Old 03-31-2007, 02:32 PM

170 posts, read 761,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Hi Minz,
Bummer that you missed it! And yeah, definately try it out when you come back to visit. And for your family, there are tons of things that non-vegitarians will love. Matter of fact, I wouldn't say that I'm fully vegitarian yet, but Green is quickly converting me! And yes, they are very busy! Yea!
Jules,
That is great you are eating a more vegetarian diet. Although I became a vegetarian 6 years ago, it was a gradual change that started a long time ago...I first gave up red meat, then all meat except fish...and then I gave it all up...and have never looked back! It makes it much easier when there is a great vegetarian restaurant to inspire you! Best of luck! And I will no doubt check out Green as soon as I get back to SA!!

Old 03-31-2007, 06:09 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,240,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Yes, but I lived in Palm Desert (I'm moving back, BTW) for many, many years and it seemed we were always in drought like conditions there too. However, our grass was green YEAR ROUND! And it's the desert. I can't buy into the "drought" argument.
It;s the type of grass that is natural to SA as opposed to Palm Desert which is all manufactured.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:51 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,593 times
Default Drought-tolerant landscaping

If San Antonio is always experiencing water droughts, and as a result , usage restrictions, why doesn't Bexar County promote Xeriscaping? Why is grass so important?

Xeriscaping does not require supplemental irrigation. Thus saving water.

The Advantages are:
  • lower water bills
  • more water available for other uses and other people (such as showers, sinks, hoses)
  • less time and work needed for maintenance, making your day simple and relieving stress
  • little or no lawn mowing
  • xeriscape plants along with proper bed design tends to take full advantage of rainfall
  • when water restrictions are implemented, xeriscape plants will tend to survive, while more traditional plants may not

With all these benefits. Why is grass so important? At least Austin is on to this.

When I relocate to SA, I'm going to rip out the lawn and incorporate this type of landscaping. It's just common sense.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
If San Antonio is always experiencing water droughts
San Antonio doesn't always experience droughts. It just so happened that the past year and a half or so has seen lower than usual rain counts. That changed with March.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:11 PM

Also, San Antonio does encourage xeriscaping.

You can find this on the SAWS (San Antonio Water System) website.

http://www.saws.org/conservation/Lan...eriscape.shtml

http://saws.org/conservation/how_you...vensteps.shtml

Old 03-31-2007, 08:16 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Also, San Antonio does encourage xeriscaping.

You can find this on the SAWS (San Antonio Water System) website.

http://www.saws.org/conservation/Lan...eriscape.shtml

http://saws.org/conservation/how_you...vensteps.shtml
Great sites. More folks should look into this, really! What do the HOAs say about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio