Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:36 PM

217 posts, read 1,758,009 times

Advertisements

Any advice on good middle schools. I posted a few months back how my child had been treated at her middle school which is primarly hispanic in nisd. Her self-esteem has been somewhat low because the spanish girls exclude her and treat her badly I tell her race shoud not matter we were miltary and have travel all around to many diverse areas so she does not see color some of the kids have never left San Antonio and are very closed minded. I wanted to try to put her in private school but the cost is very expensive I don't know what to do because of the bullying she has experience and racial comments I have talked with the principal who says that middle school is the hardest years but who is also hispanic and I think cannot relate. Does anyone have any advice on a good school that is diverse. That want tolerate such behavior. We also want something with great academics because she is also in the gifted classes. I told her to keep her head up that they talked abot Beyonce, Obama and many others but God has blessed them and they still have great success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 12:56 PM

673 posts, read 2,716,390 times
The fact that middle school is hard without added problems like exclusion is reason to move your child. (Moving is easier than trying to change the school.) A few possibilities, besides asking for recommendations like you've done:

- Ask the school system to tell you which schools are more demographically balanced.
- Ask the school system if there are any magnet schools for academic achievement.
- Consider homeschooling if you have the time.

Your child is lucky to have a caring, proactive parent.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:06 PM

217 posts, read 1,758,009 times
African American is our race. To me it should not matter. As said we have been many places and treated great with no regard to color for example in Virginia we did not have any problems. We were in a very diverse area.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:15 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
It should not matter, but for some people here it unfortunately does matter. Luckily my kids never had this issue, but I know it can be an issue with certain people..

Old 12-21-2008, 01:27 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikip View Post
African American is our race. To me it should not matter. As said we have been many places and treated great with no regard to color for example in Virginia we did not have any problems. We were in a very diverse area.
I spent some of my elementary/middle/high school years in Virginia, and as a white girl I was often excluded by the black girls. It goes both ways, just so you know, and it's not a San Antonio-only problem. Whites were in the minority in the town I lived in.

That said, middle school is awful no matter what. Is there any way your daughter could get involved in clubs, sports, anything really, to help her feel more accepted? My stepdaughter is mixed (White and Hispanic) and she is in NISD and has friends of every shape, size, and color. She's very active in pep rally, choir, etc. and it seems to me that most of those kids are totally oblivious to race. It's encouraging to me, for sure.

Good luck to you both. I know these years are hard, but with your love and encouragement, she should make it out alive.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:30 PM

362 posts, read 1,057,644 times
San Antonio is diverse, certain areas maybe more hispanic, some more african american, and some more white. However San Antonio is said to be the most unsegregated big city in the U.S., findings by the the U.S census. Races tend to stick with thir same race socially, thats anywhere.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikip View Post
Any advice on good middle schools.
There is a very recent thread at the link below which provides member recommendations of the best middle schools in the city.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...middle+schools

Old 12-21-2008, 02:06 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
It's true that acceptance is a two-way street. My kids are mixed, but I raised them as just kids and we never talked up or down any particular side.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:24 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times
Facts and Figures : Northside Independent School District - San Antonio, TX 78238

Thought this was interesting, stats for NISD.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:00 PM

135 posts, read 512,904 times
Our issues are not race related, but we've pretty much decided to put our son in Jefferson when he starts middle school next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
It's true that acceptance is a two-way street. My kids are mixed, but I raised them as just kids and we never talked up or down any particular side.
Ditto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio