Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

San Antonio area looking for safe neighborhoods with affordable housing under 75k; seeking areas and opinions on neighborhoods, low crime, cheap housing, schools unimportant kids in charter schools

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 12:54 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Have you tried looking in the 78223 zip code?
I think so. Is that Pecan Valley?

I'm keeping my MLS search WIDE open, but I am still staying with something pre 1950, and preferably pre 1940.

As for East Terrell Hills, I'm looking there too. The only thing I've seen yet big enough was $84,000. SO close but yet so far.

I went back tonight again to look at both homes in the dark. Both neighborhoods were quiet, no foot traffic, but what struck me and what has me torn is the West side area where this house is had so much more pride of ownership. The streets were neater, the homes modest but loved. Much more "charm". Neatly manicured lawns, very few falling-apart houses, and the houses were spaced nicely. The southside house had so much junkiness nearby, and really neglected houses, and they were so close you could put your hand out the window and touch your neighbor's place. It is the bigger house though, by quite a lot and the home itself is nice.

I try and envision each of these becoming a "hot" neighborhood and the next revitalized area and it just doesn't seem likely on the southside house unless many of the homes were just razed (to give you decent lot sizes for one!). The homes were built tiny and simply and it shows. I want to love the house over there (and probably could if I never went outside).. but I'm just not sure I can be happy each day driving past everything else unpleasant to get to it because there's such neglect and sadness. It's not a safety thing, it's aesthetics.

This sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 01:07 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
Three bedroom two bath 1555 sq feet, built in 1959 in East Terrell Hills MLS # 630556

http://chester.cybersunshine.com/listingphotos-SanAntonioTexas/SABOR630556A.jpg (broken link)
$79,990

Old 03-05-2007, 12:27 AM

73 posts, read 403,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
ShaneSA;

House #1 is decent sized, priced at 78,800, on the southside off Malone near Pleasanton on Hawthorne street.
The house itself looks very nice on the outside and the street was quiet. There were a *lot* of nearby homes that were just awful, with some nicer ones mixed in. There were lots of kids playing outside, and my 9 year old commented that it either means that it's a safe neighborhood OR neglectful parents. Yes, he's 9 going on 30. There was an elderly gentleman watering his yard that waved and smiled.

I live in this neighboorhood and you pretty much got the picture. The streets are pretty quiet. Some houses are kept up and some aren't. There seem to be a lot of older folks and kids and people are pretty friendly for the most part. The neighboorhood isn't too bad, but what makes me SICK are all the strays in the neighboorhood and the total lack of regard people have for their pets.

I don't feel safe walking my dogs because of all the stray animals. Owned dogs are also allowed to run around loose, and many of them are questionable regarding socialization. I've spent too much money on dogs in the neighborhood because I hate seeing animals suffer and their owner's don't take care of them.

Petty theft also seems to be a problem. If you leave your lawnmower out in the yard for a few hours, it will disappear! It's happened to me a few times with a few different things. I'm not too worried about anything in this neighborhood beyond the theft and stray dog issues, but as soon as I finish school, I'm out of here and back to Schertz!

Old 03-05-2007, 12:51 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlesoup View Post
I live in this neighboorhood and you pretty much got the picture. The streets are pretty quiet. Some houses are kept up and some aren't. There seem to be a lot of older folks and kids and people are pretty friendly for the most part. The neighboorhood isn't too bad, but what makes me SICK are all the strays in the neighboorhood and the total lack of regard people have for their pets.

I don't feel safe walking my dogs because of all the stray animals. Owned dogs are also allowed to run around loose, and many of them are questionable regarding socialization. I've spent too much money on dogs in the neighborhood because I hate seeing animals suffer and their owner's don't take care of them.

Petty theft also seems to be a problem. If you leave your lawnmower out in the yard for a few hours, it will disappear! It's happened to me a few times with a few different things. I'm not too worried about anything in this neighborhood beyond the theft and stray dog issues, but as soon as I finish school, I'm out of here and back to Schertz!

We are leaning pretty strongly towards the west side at this point, even though others don't think it's wise. I've seen a lot of friendly old people and nice and neat homes, and I've been over there now at all hours of the day, several times. Not even a soul walking the street after midnight! It's like a small town.

Anyway, I hear ya on the dogs. EVERYWHERE I've lived (because I have lived in mostly poor areas) there is the dog problem, and it breaks my heart. I remember walking my dog in the last place with a huge stick, and we were followed by a loose pack that scared the bejeezus out of me. We take less walks, unfortunately... spend more time playing in the yard, especially that I now have a small dog as well who could be badly hurt in an instant.

There was an awful situation with a loose chihuahua that got into the neighbor's yard with a great dane and didn't live... the GD killed it. It was just bad, and it is a big problem all over the city.... between that and the chained dogs I could go on about this for pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio