U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:52 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,871,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I could update my plane, but the FAA cites numerous reasons alcohol and airplanes do not mix.

Alcohol (Ethanol):

* Adversely affects the volatility of auto gasoline, which could cause vapor lock.
* Is corrosive and not compatible with rubber seals and other materials used in aircraft, which could lead to fuel system deterioration and malfunction.
* Is subject to phase separation, which happens when the fuel cools as an aircraft climbs to higher altitudes. When the alcohol separates from the gasoline, it may carry water that has been held in solution and that cannot be handled by the sediment bowl.
* Reduces the energy content of fuel. Methanol has approximately 55 percent of the energy content of gasoline, ethanol 73 percent. More alcohol equals reduced range.

So, if ethanol is so great, why don't airplanes use it?
I hate it too, Ive gone through two cases of fuel filters ever since its inception. and I cant even start my car when its cold outside either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 05:38 PM

5,569 posts, read 9,609,847 times
Alright even more evidence is out:

Whether it makes sense to use ethanol as an alternative fuel is a hotly debated topic. Consumer Reports tested a Chevrolet Tahoe flex-fuel vehicle running on E85 and gasoline, and found that its fuel economy dropped 27 percent, from a poor 14 mpg overall on gasoline to a dismal 10 mpg on ethanol. Even though a gallon of E85 ethanol costs less on average than gasoline ($2.13 nationwide average this summer, vs $2.44), it would cost a consumer more than $450 a year extra to fuel the Tahoe with E85 instead of gasoline due to the fuel economy differences.

So not only are we getting screwed in the wallet, we're also having mechanical issues.

Does anyone know if there's ethanol in PREMIUM gas?

Old 12-07-2009, 02:20 PM

Folks, NO ETHANOL IN VALERO!

Old 12-07-2009, 02:33 PM

2,320 posts, read 4,311,595 times
Valero owns 7 ethanol refineries, they do in fact use ethanol. All domestic gasoline in this country should have 10% ethanol in it.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:28 PM

You're right. I was wrong. I had one manager telling me no ethanol and then I tested it myself and it contained ethanol.

Now, one place that does not have ethanol for sure is CITGO. I would never support them, though.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:36 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,871,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
You're right. I was wrong. I had one manager telling me no ethanol and then I tested it myself and it contained ethanol.

Now, one place that does not have ethanol for sure is CITGO. I would never support them, though.

Citgo uses 10 percent water to make their gasoline last.

I tired Valero Premium my last fill up, and I did not like my WOT runs, now I recently filled at Texaco and Its been running great. Still might have ethanol though. but didnt notice, performance wise.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:52 PM

5,081 posts, read 7,769,883 times
By old cars having problems, what do people mean by that? Ours are 2000 and 1992 year models and no problems so far... I'm not sure when 10% ethanol started showing up in the northwest but it's been at least a couple of years now that the cars have been running it.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:45 PM

881 posts, read 334,922 times
The NuStar loading rack near Kirby ships some non-ethanol automotive gasoline, but I have been unsuccessful finding out which retail outlets are receiving the non-ethanol product. I will keep working on it, and will post here when I have some solid answers. - Slowpoke (tanker truck driver)

Old 06-17-2010, 12:55 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,395,719 times
There were four San Antonio gas stations on pure-gas.org that did not sell alcohol laced gasoline. The latest details (including one posted by me for the Shell at Fredericksburg Rd @ Huebner) shows there is no ethanol free stations left in San Antonio.

It is BS that it affects MPG only slightly. My MPG has gone down more than 10% with this crap in the tank.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:04 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,395,719 times
Check out this website: Ethanol Blended Gas = Lower Mileage?

Last year with Shell 100% gasoline in my tank, I drove my Corolla to Dallas and got slightly better than 42 MPG. I drove it earlier this week with Shell 10% etahnol blended gas and got 35 MPG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio