U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 09:18 AM

54 posts, read 283,026 times

Advertisements

I searched on this forum and didn't see a question about the poorly and well rated nail salons in San Antonio. When I lived elsewhere, the local news reviewed many nail salons and recommended those that cleaned the instruments in a sterilizing machine, didn't use files repeatedly, etc.

Is there anything like that here in SA? I've heard friends say they've been in certain places and watched them use the same pedicure water for more than one client (YUK).
I would appreciate any help!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 11:07 AM

14,627 posts, read 31,217,395 times
Who would stick their feet in water from another person's pedicure?

But here you go:
http://www.license.state.tx.us/cimsfo/fosearch2.asp

Old 12-26-2008, 06:19 PM

54 posts, read 283,026 times
No one put their feet in dirty looking water.
A friend watched as the same pedicure solution was used for one client and then the next client sat down and unknowingly used the same water. With the solution and bubbles in the water, it would be difficult to know if the solution was new when you sat down.
The link is good for checking on licensing, but I didn't see anything to verify if a facility has been reviewed to see if they maintain proper hygiene standards.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:26 PM

4,753 posts, read 12,323,968 times
When I attended a mandatory training for health care providers in Seattle, the instructor said there is no such thing as a sanitary pedicure at a salon or spa because no facilities take the time to clean and change out everything between clients. He said it would take so long to do it properly, they would be out of business. So there are only "unsanitary" and "even more unsanitary" choices. I've never had a spa pedicure since.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:49 PM

616 posts, read 1,858,211 times
I go to a salon where they don't use the pedicure thrones - I miss the bubbles and stuff, but I feel a lot better when they use a bowl or basin that can be sterilized and doesn't have any gross corners where stuff can hide. It's essentially impossible to sterilize the pipes on those pedicure thrones.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:51 PM

14,627 posts, read 31,217,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATXUsername View Post
No one put their feet in dirty looking water.
A friend watched as the same pedicure solution was used for one client and then the next client sat down and unknowingly used the same water. With the solution and bubbles in the water, it would be difficult to know if the solution was new when you sat down.
The link is good for checking on licensing, but I didn't see anything to verify if a facility has been reviewed to see if they maintain proper hygiene standards.
The basin is empty when I stick my feet in.........they add water and bubbles as I sit there. I do my own at home most of the time anyway, but as someone else mentioned, it's never a sanitary procedure at a public spa.

As far as the link not being good enough, why don't you google something yourself? That's all I did.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:09 PM

311 posts, read 746,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
As far as the link not being good enough, why don't you google something yourself? That's all I did.

How on earth could the inspectors KNOW 100% for sure what they do ALL the time. I think no matter what...just like with manicures you just have to go with their reputation & your own "gut" feeling about the place.
I don't like the idea of any of it. Too many "cooties" that are too easily spread in those places.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:14 PM

872 posts, read 2,604,988 times
The link does show places that have been fined for not following sanitary procedures, so I think it might be a helpful guide for places one might want to avoid (esp. if someplace shows up on their repeatedly). Without a specific salon in mind, I just typed "nail" in the company field, which pulled back several results... Some of the reasons are interesting to read, like "Respondent possessed an electric drill other than those specifically designed and manufactured for use in the professional nail industry." Yuck.

There are at least a few salons which offer "waterless pedicures" in town. I had one once and did not really like it, but that might be an option for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio