U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:19 AM

22 posts, read 69,438 times

Advertisements

Does Any one know antying about Meritage Homes? What are the best home builders through San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 12:51 PM

470 posts, read 1,789,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlsrr View Post
Does Any one know antying about Meritage Homes? What are the best home builders through San Antonio?
There's a Meritage sub-division here in Alamo Ranch, but it's growing very slowly.

"Best" will vary depending on who you ask. The same builder may have better sub-contractors in one sub-division, but may have horrible subs in another. What I urge people to do (for new construction) is to hire their own independent inspector. If you know anything about the building industry (especially here in TX), you'll know how unregulated and corrupt it is. Protect yourself. No matter what price range, builders will and do cut corners. Ignorance is bliss, but if you're investing your hard earned money, you should go in with both eyes open.

Check out http://www.hobb.org/ for the side of builders you won't hear from your salesperson.

Best of luck to ya!

Old 03-20-2008, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,930 times
Default Merritage, Legacy, Texas big

Legacy and Texas Big are under a parent company name Merritage. After they take your money, they do not care about you any more. Avoid buying from them directly.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-20-2008 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 03-20-2008, 03:47 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,607,947 times
Contrary to MadMuffin's rather unsubstantiated statement (especially considering he/she is a first time poster who appeared to join simply to make said statement), I haven't found anything particularly out of the ordinary with Meritage. We just closed on our house in Alamo Ranch, and I have no reservations about the company as a builder. Both the sales office staff and the construction manager performed well, answering any questions we had and taking care of just about every concern with little delay.

As Latinocowboy stated, do your homework before picking a builder. Ask yourself what you're looking for, and realize that you WILL have to make certain compromises along the way. For example, the house you build may not look exactly like the model. This, in my opinion, is a good thing. After all, if the builder stamps out exact replicas for each house, the unique nature of your house is gone.

Just my two cents...

--Dim

Old 03-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,131,390 times
Meritage advertises heavily on local radio. To me, that implies that they the company is builder who is eager for business for reasons that will probably work in your favor. Maybe they have a lot of spec inventory they need to move?

Old 03-20-2008, 05:38 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,607,947 times
Bowie,

In Alamo Ranch at least, Meritage has very few inventory homes. Last I heard, they were down to one and started building two others. From what I understand, this is very uncommon, but smart considering the market. You're right, though--the incentives to buy an inventory home are huge, but not just from Meritage. A lot of builders are offering major discounts or option allowances for inventory (and some new) homes.

--Dim

Old 03-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
To me, that implies that they the company is builder who is eager for business for reasons that will probably work in your favor.
Good grief, that's really convoluted! I think I edited the post either 1 too many or 1 too few times.

I think I meant to say "To me, that implies that the company is a builder who is eager for business for reasons that will probably work in your favor."

Old 03-24-2008, 07:31 AM

The member who made this post reports "serious problems" with her Meritage home. You might want to send her a DM to get the details.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 8,878 times
Default Meritage Homes

I started building a home with Meritage homes in Alamo Ranch. I found them to be very unprofessional and had few answers to my questions. My home was framed and wired when I left the deal. If you want the specifics of my experience send me an email and I will elaborate. To this day my wife and I felt it was one of the best decisions we made getting out of that deal. Luckily for us their unprofessionalism and disorganization only caused me to lose $2000.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:44 PM

226 posts, read 793,191 times
They have an overpriced subdivision on FM1560 where homes are selling close to $400K. Apparently everyone else thinks the same way because its been open for a while and only a few (less than 5 when I visited earlier this year) had been sold. They must have been open for a year now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio