U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 06:28 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,545,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedaja28 View Post
Windsor oaks isn't a great area..last I checked...it is pretty hit and miss around san antonio but there are good areas. I suggest doin what you are doin and askin when you do find a potential place. Sometimes an area will have ginormous houses and rich ******* and down the road it will be real low income areas..San Antonio is funny like that.
...almost 6 years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 08:40 AM

818 posts, read 981,409 times
I would consider the northeast part of town to be outside 410, between I-35 and 281. Within those boundaries, I would avoid areas close to I-35 over to Perrin Beitel - between 410 and O'Connor. Other than that, I would be ok with the northeast side of town. If you're looking more north central (Blanco Rd area between West Ave and Bitters) be very selective. Parts of that area are shady to the point of avoiding the area entirely, then again, there are parts of that area that are nice.

At that price point and looking in the Notheast side of town, I would look for townhomes in the Thousand Oaks and Henderson Pass area and maybe over on Brook Hollow close to 281.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:25 AM

5,802 posts, read 5,444,162 times
Are there any nice areas in the northeast part of the city where a nice 1BR apartment can be had for $750-$900 without having to worry about noise from the airport?

Old 01-29-2015, 07:34 AM

425 posts, read 358,624 times
Quite a large area stretching E-W and then turning NW-SE 10 miles north of the airport are on the flight path to the favorite landing runway with prevailing southerly winds.

I've visited some places 5 mi NE of the airport that really get hammered with departing flights.

Use flightaware.com to see the three or four approach and departure paths and current real time paths. Southerly winds send all planes arriving from the W,E,and N to the "Alamo ILS" 8 or 10 miles NW of the airport before the turn, if needed, to the airport.

I'm 10 miles from the airport (straight N) and at certain times they come over at 4 - 5,000 feet (usually throttled back descending to the airport). They come in even lower if there is a cloud deck they want to get under and can be very noisy late at night.

I used distance from the airport in selecting my house but the joke was on me after they reopened the busy runway after having it down for months for re-paving.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:17 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,839,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Are there any nice areas in the northeast part of the city where a nice 1BR apartment can be had for $750-$900 without having to worry about noise from the airport?
Just bought a house on Brook Hollow and have been there for two weeks and I have not heard a single plane when in the house.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:25 AM

447 posts, read 574,125 times
I used to live off Bitters/Starcrest a couple of years ago, where you could practically see the airport and I don't recall noise ever bothering me. IMO that's a really individualistic preference and will depend on how sensitive you are to it and how well built your house is. Even being so close to the airport, it wasn't like the windows rattled or we had trouble sleeping - I barely remember planes being a factor, although YMMV.

The best thing to do if you're very concerned about noise, is try to hang out on that side of town during one of your off days and watch/listen the planes or even rent a cheap hotel room near where you might want to live and leave the window open to see if it bothers you. IMO it's worth a few hours and a few dollars to make sure your new location is going to be acceptable to you. People on C-D often recommend that someone visit a city and stay several days, or even visit twice in different seasons to experience the city before committing to a move. IMO, the same advice should apply to moving to a new neighborhood in a metro you currently live in. There's going to be all kinds of little, but sometimes important, factors that aren't easily noticed simply driving through.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:54 AM

818 posts, read 981,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
I used to live off Bitters/Starcrest a couple of years ago, where you could practically see the airport and I don't recall noise ever bothering me. IMO that's a really individualistic preference and will depend on how sensitive you are to it and how well built your house is. Even being so close to the airport, it wasn't like the windows rattled or we had trouble sleeping - I barely remember planes being a factor, although YMMV.

The best thing to do if you're very concerned about noise, is try to hang out on that side of town during one of your off days and watch/listen the planes or even rent a cheap hotel room near where you might want to live and leave the window open to see if it bothers you. IMO it's worth a few hours and a few dollars to make sure your new location is going to be acceptable to you. People on C-D often recommend that someone visit a city and stay several days, or even visit twice in different seasons to experience the city before committing to a move. IMO, the same advice should apply to moving to a new neighborhood in a metro you currently live in. There's going to be all kinds of little, but sometimes important, factors that aren't easily noticed simply driving through.
This is all great advice. I would add to it to say, spend some time driving around the area you intend to live during morning and afternoon rush hour to make sure you can live with that traffic.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:07 PM

I''m considering relocating to Texas after six-plus decades in Los Angeles; some friends of mine who left LA for San Antonio 15+ years ago and have lived some 1 1/2 miles east of the Alamo Golf Club since 1998 really like the city as I did during my visits in 1974 and 2010.

I'm gsthering info & opinions on various parts of the city since I'm hoping to visit in May or early June for a longer visit.

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2015, 08:40 AM

447 posts, read 574,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
I''m considering relocating to Texas after six-plus decades in Los Angeles; some friends of mine who left LA for San Antonio 15+ years ago and have lived some 1 1/2 miles east of the Alamo Golf Club since 1998 really like the city as I did during my visits in 1974 and 2010.

I'm gsthering info & opinions on various parts of the city since I'm hoping to visit in May or early June for a longer visit.

Thanks!
There's a lot of info here:

***** PLEASE READ FIRST - SA Metro Info * Relocation Index * Events *****

I'd read that thoroughly and then start a new topic if you have more specific questions.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:16 PM

Thanks---I'll do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or