U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,007,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Fire fighters have been "there" to help me numerous times throughout my life.

I have been helped in car accidents, fires, 49 passenger bus crashes, my mother falling ill, my grandmother falling down etc.

Not once did I ever feel that I was second fiddle or that they would rather be doing something else. I guess they have tact and respect for those they are helping at the time.
SAFD_Wife, thank you. i apologize for the jump.

I am interested in following this story and learning what, if anything, the family of the house fire does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 02:55 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,809,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty12 View Post
I don't think the county provides any fire service. Most rural places have volunteer fire departments that are paid for through donations and grant money when they can get it.
That is correct. The county coordinates and provides dispatch services for the 21 volunteer departments that cover the unincorporated areas.

Quote:
If a denser suburban housing development wants a professional fire department with quick response times then they should form a city government(and tax themselves), or be annexed by another city. People think they are getting a great deal on taxes by living in unincorporated areas, but they should expect services commensurate with those lower taxes.
Another option that has been exercised in several parts of the county is an Emergency Services District (I think there are 8 of them now.) This is where people in an unicorporated area vote to tax themselves to fund their volunteer fire and EMS services.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:21 AM

63 posts, read 165,896 times
TX_AGGIE13 "I'd have to say with all the tax dollars that The Dominion throws into the San Antonio pot they should have their own 24hr. maned substation with a couple engines."

Wait a minute, are you saying that if anyone pays higher taxes that they should get better protection from the city??? Nah, the aggie didn't just say that!?!?!?.......................
.....Well, that really must be aggie's position, in a later post he wrote,

"The Dominion does put enough money in the system to have appropriate coverage, and response times, and if not given such should take measures of demand."

We should all have adequate coverage, as well as good sense to understand that there are times when accidents/fires are going to happen at the same time in our town/surrounding areas. I'm with the person who said "I'm glad we didn't have a fire our neighborhood at the same time."

Last edited by sereneintexas; 01-10-2009 at 09:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio