U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:27 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,774,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Obviously you don't know my husband. There was nothing visible at all, the guy just ransacked the contents of the glove box. You seem to want to shift the blame from the thugs to the victims. Yes, you should do what you can to prevent crime, but bottom line, some of them just want to vandalize because they didn't get spanked often enough.
Not at all; your case is an exception to the rule. People can do what they can to make their car or house less tempting than another one; it's just good sense whether you're parked at a mall that seems to be going downhill or in one of the best neighborhoods in town. That's what I was getting at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 11:01 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,338,166 times
In the old days I would sometimes see a pet dog in the car (good theft deterrent); however, you'll get hauled in to jail these days.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:13 PM

337 posts, read 1,285,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
And the reason they don't get spanked is because it is not a high priority and the thieves know it. And before we all chime in on "well, the police ought to do more..." , please go see the thread about DUI in San Antonio.

The fact is, we all want crime to stop. Now, let's wake up and realize that it isn't going to. I have been working this graffiti tagging issue in my neighborhood pretty hard for the past month.

We have identified who the taggers are, have got them on video doing it, have the same taggers caught in the act of doing beer runs at the Valero on Culebra and the Mobil on Tezel and Timber Path. Same White Volvo, same license plate number, and the same young men (these are not teens, they are men) caught on multiple surveillance cameras from different stores. These same guys did beer runs in the same Valero on consecutive nights!

It isn't because they are dumb - it is because they know that beer runs and tagging and car break-ins at Ingram Park Mall are simply not the priority. And yes, we did get one of the guys arrested. I suspect he spent 12 minutes in jail and is back to tagging tonight. The system doesn't have time to deal with these guys.

People, the issue is that this city council (specifically my council person Delicia Herrerra who is non-existent on these matters), is more interested in other things. We need more police. I don't care what you think of Chief MacManus or the shenanigans of his assistant chiefs, we need more officers on the beat. The city council needs to have the leadership to approve more funding for more officers.

Mark my words: A resident will shoot a tagger, or a guy with a conceal carry permit will see his car being broken into at the mall and solve the problem on the spot, or during one of these beer runs, someone like me is going to catch the kid running across the field, and this time, not let him go. And in each case, some mother is going to cry crocodile tears in front of the TV cameras because her little baby was a good boy. And many of you will come on here and argue that the real victims are the taggers, the car thieves and the beer runners.

Sorry to vent.
Right On!!! I think I'm not too far from you in 78251. Tagging is really getting to be a problem in this area and I'm afraid that with summer coming and school soon to be out, it's only gonna get worse with all the kids with parents who work during the day and have time on their hands. BTW....living in a "gated" community does not mean a thing....heck, some of the taggers live right inside our own community! Take a rep point Silver....and God bless.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:29 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,431,468 times
Gave you a rep SilverCreek.

Now I wonder if your white volvo thugs are the same thugs that like to come to our neighborhood in the summer and jump the fence to use our pool? They too drive a white volvo. A neighbor early last summer kicked them out at some late hour...and the next morning his tires were slashed. They have come back and every time they did and he was home, he'd go over and kick them out. He said something to them about him being a cop (he is) and they didn't show up much after that. But this guy has now moved and I saw these thugs back here several times late last summer. I'm sure they'll be around again this summer.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:56 PM

732 posts, read 3,362,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
Gave you a rep SilverCreek.

Now I wonder if your white volvo thugs are the same thugs that like to come to our neighborhood in the summer and jump the fence to use our pool? They too drive a white volvo. A neighbor early last summer kicked them out at some late hour...and the next morning his tires were slashed. They have come back and every time they did and he was home, he'd go over and kick them out. He said something to them about him being a cop (he is) and they didn't show up much after that. But this guy has now moved and I saw these thugs back here several times late last summer. I'm sure they'll be around again this summer.
We have the same problem in our neighborhood.....last time it was a white minivan that dropped a group of teens off to use our community pool. One of the neighbors followed the van back home to another neighborhood...... In addition, there seems to be quite a problem with kids from other neighborhoods usurping our baskteball court....

Lastly, we've seen a dramatic increase in property theft and vandalism. The house a few doors down was broken into one night and vandalized. It's rental home and was sitting empty. I assume it was teens b/c they just wrecked stuff and didn't really take anything.....

I'm not sure I would buy a home in this neighborhood for the above reasons.....I'm kind of relieved we are renting our house.....

Old 04-28-2008, 05:00 PM

14,607 posts, read 31,113,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midorigreen View Post
last time it was a white minivan that dropped a group of teens off to use our community pool.
The community doesn't have some sort of ID program so they can make sure non-residents aren't the ones using the pool?

Old 04-28-2008, 05:01 PM

We have key cards.....but the kids jump the fence and/or their friends let them in.....

(Sapphire....are you a triathlete? or are you referring to the movie???? )

Last edited by Midorigreen; 04-28-2008 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-28-2008, 05:06 PM

14,607 posts, read 31,113,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midorigreen View Post
We have key cards.....but the kids jump the fence and/or their friends let them in.....

(Sapphire....are you a triathlete? or are you referring to the movie???? )
LOL it's a movie reference.

There should be someone monitoring the pool!!

Old 04-28-2008, 05:12 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,331,878 times
Midori,
I have a friend who lives in Stonecreek and she said one night these kids broke into the pool and I think ripped sinks out of the walls or lit something on fire or something. I was amazed that the HOA didn't have security cameras or something in there after all of the vandalism that she talks about in the neighborhood! I wouldn't want to put up with that! It seems like a nice neighborhood, too bad for some people ruining it.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
Midori,
I have a friend who lives in Stonecreek and she said one night these kids broke into the pool and I think ripped sinks out of the walls or lit something on fire or something. I was amazed that the HOA didn't have security cameras or something in there after all of the vandalism that she talks about in the neighborhood! I wouldn't want to put up with that! It seems like a nice neighborhood, too bad for some people ruining it.
One the neighbors has organized a community watch group.....but I think a lot of the problems stem from the builders running out of money to add cameras etc. to the pool. In fact, I heard that there was supposed to be a separate, covered kiddie pool also but there was just no money left. In the end, people bought homes with the expectation of certain amenities that just never came to be...... Like I said, I'm glad I'm renting.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio