Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:34 PM

116 posts, read 397,208 times

Advertisements

Aloha. I've posted here before and appreciated the information. Husband and 2 young daughters seriously considering a move from Hawaii late this year or early next year. We're looking at the Duvall/Issaquah area of Seattle, WA because my sister lives there and has been trying to get us to move for the last 15 years. But, my MIL and SIL live in SA and so we're considering SA. We've done A LOT of research (re: cost of living, schools, jobs, etc.) and each area has it's pros and cons. We both work do administrative/fiscal at the University of Hawaii. So I think we'll be able to find decent jobs in either area. Can someone that has lived in the Seattle area tell me what they've learned in their move from WA to SA,TX. Good. Bad. Do it. Don't do it. Any comments would be helpful and appreciated. We're coming to SA in early July and hope to get some of our questions answered during our visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 01:49 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Well, I moved from TX to WA and I can tell you that I'm heading back to TX. I suppose it depends on what your priorities are as to which area would appeal to you more. They are so very different so you may want to outline your priorities and likes/dislikes first. I honestly think that W WA is a very difficult area to settle in without prior family or friend connections, meaning a social network. I would personally go where there is a social network of support (friends, family) but that's just me.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:23 PM

126 posts, read 362,890 times
I'm from the Seattle area. I would move back in a heartbeat if my Husband (the Texan) would.
My DH and I met in the LA area where we both were working. After we got married and had our son we wanted to leave LA for a more family friendly environment.

My vote has been and always will be for Seattle (well Bellevue really, even Kent). My best friend lives there, I love the weather and the city and the things to do. My DH thinks that it is too expensive and he won't give rain a chance.

I am making the best of living here in SA, the people are nice, I like my church and I enjoy work.
The pp said a social network is hard to get in Seattle, I think that is the same anywhere you don't know anyone when you move there. It has taken me quite a while to find friends....not friendly acquaintances, but real friends here in SA.
I don't like the late spring, summer or early fall (too hot for me) I miss the mountains, pike place market, hiking all yr round, the greenness, Trader Joes and my friend.

That being said, anywhere you live is what you make of it. I like San Antonio because I make it work for me. I get out and meet people, I started a business that does well, and I take advantage of every single day under 85 degrees and go out and have fun. I have my son in a great pre-K and he'll be going into a great school system next yr.

Even though I lived in the Los Angeles area for 9 yrs, and I liked it, I always knew it would be temporary. Seattle is home.....was home. I was getting ready to move back when I met my Texan Hubby. He was determined to raise our son where he grew up. And really he was right, the housing prices here are great.

have an extended visit to both cities to help make your decision.

Good Luck.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:46 PM

11 posts, read 15,609 times
I haven't posted before, but reading this board was really helpful to me in my housing decision (I chose Deerfield), and I actually know one for once since I've recently moved from Washington, so here goes. My DH and I moved from Chicago to Washington and lived for 3 years in Bellevue and 3 more years on Whidbey Island. We hated Bellevue and liked Whidbey well enough, but we moved to San Antonio last summer and we really like it here. The cost of living is great; the people are friendly; and most importantly (to me) there is sunshine in the winter. I got SO tired of the endless dreary days of rain. And when it wasn't raining, it was about to.

You're lucky in that you'll have a network in whichever place you choose, so you don't have to worry about that. Since Hawaii is home, Seattle would be closer for visits back, but for some people the weather really can be hard to take. It's not insignificant if you're not used to it.

Best wishes!

Old 01-09-2009, 04:02 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Strange... I also moved from Seattle (between Renton and Maple Valley) and also chose the Deerfield neighborhood. So if you see a car driving around the area with WA plates you know it's me. Anyway I can comment on the East Side / San Antonio thing later... It'd be too hard to type it all out on the iPod.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:09 PM

11 posts, read 15,609 times
It is kind of strange. I saw your posts when I was house shopping in August when I was trying to decide between different neighborhoods. I don't know what it is, but there must be something about Deerfield that appeals to people who have lived in the Northwest. Whatever. I'm really happy with it. I already have TX plates, but if you see a strange lady waving at your car, it's probably me!

Old 01-10-2009, 07:46 AM
bmn

7 posts, read 8,239 times
I've lived in all three areas, seattle, hawaii and san antonio.

First I think you are crazy. If you can at all afford it for pete's sake stay in hawaii.

If you don't like mililani move someplace nice such as kaneohe (just kidding, but it is wondeful over there and H3 is a dream).

Think of the Children!

"daddy I miss hawaii" I hear all the time from my kids.

If you must move and you have only those two choices I would pick Seattle in a heartbeat. I'd move there right now if I could. The area has so much going for it and most of all it's beautiful.

Now I don't want to offend the texans on this forum but nothing I have seen in the great state of texas, including "big bend" or SA's "hill country" can hold a torch to what you see every day living working in those areas.

May you always live in beauty....

Seattle winters: Yeah it rains. Get over it. It rained for 40 days straight in Hawaii in 2006. We all survived. The rainy season adds a nice contrast to the beautiful rest of the year.

Rain makes me think of soup! In Seattle it will be a lot easier to find asian stuff. For example, one of my kids favorite places to eat was at the "soup place".

Go to google and enter seattle ramen.
Then google on san antonio ramen.

san antonio ramen - Google Search
seattle ramen - Google Search

If you want to get a real feel for the place I've found google street view to be very helpful. You can even figure out where you will live/work then do street view pictures between the two sites....

Old 01-10-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mililani Gal View Post
Aloha. I've posted here before and appreciated the information. Husband and 2 young daughters seriously considering a move from Hawaii late this year or early next year. We're looking at the Duvall/Issaquah area of Seattle, WA because my sister lives there and has been trying to get us to move for the last 15 years. But, my MIL and SIL live in SA and so we're considering SA. We've done A LOT of research (re: cost of living, schools, jobs, etc.) and each area has it's pros and cons. We both work do administrative/fiscal at the University of Hawaii. So I think we'll be able to find decent jobs in either area. Can someone that has lived in the Seattle area tell me what they've learned in their move from WA to SA,TX. Good. Bad. Do it. Don't do it. Any comments would be helpful and appreciated. We're coming to SA in early July and hope to get some of our questions answered during our visit.
I won't sugar coat anything about either of the two places. Here are my thoughts.

Seattle Good:
- The summer is unbeatable. Sunny weather, highs in the mid-70s and not humid. It lasts from May through sometime in September.
- MUCH more to see downtown, if the big city is your thing.
- Good access to skiing. Snoqualmie, Stevens, Whistler (BC), and place or two off the north side of Mt Rainier are the places that come to mind.
- Low summer utilities, unless you have A/C.
- Much better views, but I like big trees and mountains.
- Good Asian food abounds, Mexican is limited to Taco Time and Taco Bell unless you search around.
- NFL and MLB city.
- Not a lot of public transportation there, but there's the Sounder which I like (commuter train running north/south) and light rail in very limited areas (Seatac to downtown).
- No state income tax.
- Good university, harder to get in, cost... is up there.

Seattle Bad:
- Cost of living is MUCH higher, particularly in housing but food is 10-15% more too. Wages are higher, but I don't think by as much as cost of living is. That said,...
- A person would have to be nearly insane to buy a house over there. Average price got up into the low-$400s for a single family home at the peak and prices are in the process of "adjusting," which will take however long it takes. In any case wages didn't support the price.
- In general people I know back in the northwest are much more down about the current economic times. When I'm back there I keep hearing about all the layoffs in the area. Microsoft is the only big name company I know of in the area that doesn't seem to be doing it.
- Try to get across Lake Washington anytime other than the middle of the day or in the night (in other words, commute from the east side to the city). I dare you...
- Winter isn't always the most fun time. I didn't care about the rain, but the temperature really doesn't move around a lot for a while. Things start picking up more or less around April.
- Taxes for nearly everything, except your income.
- Flying takes a while since there aren't a lot of international flights out of Seatac except to parts of Canada. You'll probably connect in LAX or somewhere if you're traveling far.

San Antonio good:
- Like I said, housing is much more reasonable here. Lots to be had under $100/sqft in the northside. $120 / sqft on the much nicer end. It's hard to see how you could wind up completely upside down on a place here since prices are pretty much land (not a lot) + what it costs to build the place.
- Rush hour isn't as bad... or maybe as long (or maybe I'm taking the right roads).
- Winters are ok. I was told that this year it's been much warmer and drier than normal.
- I still see lots of 'now hiring' signs around. A plus if gainful employment is your thing.
- Instead of skiing in the winter, you get waterparks in the summer.
- I have a sneaking suspicion that there are good Asian places around... you just have to find them? They're probably small and out of the way. Much better Mexican food than you'll find at Taco Time anyway.
- NBA City.
- Smaller city, but MUCH better selection at the grocery stores.
- No state income tax.
- People are a bit more upbeat. I actually know most of the people living in the houses around me and some of them came over while I was moving in... that's a first for me.
- The airport is small but 40 minutes (by air) away from a HUGE international hub in Houston that'll take you anywhere.
- Good university, doesn't cost a lot, easy to get in.

San Antonio bad:
- You find dumb drivers everywhere; you just find a lot more of them here. If you can almost fit a car in the opening, some genius will try it.
- Summers are not fun for me (except for the waterpark part). Too hot out, but this summer people said was a lot warmer than normal.
- I can't grow the plants that I like here without going to great lengths. But I'm the only house with berry plants growing out back.
- People complain about there only being 2 options for grocery stores, but prices are lower and selection is better. Dunno how that came about.
- Terrible radio here. You'll need satellite or an ipod.
- You don't really get a chance to wear all that cool winter stuff... that you probably don't have anyway since you're from HI.
- There are less people trying to find creative new ways to tax things. But that said, property taxes are higher. However, they're also a great deduction when doing your federal return.
- Growing explosions of suburbia in particular areas of town that I don't venture out towards.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:28 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
- Flying takes a while since there aren't a lot of international flights out of Seatac except to parts of Canada. You'll probably connect in LAX or somewhere if you're traveling far.

- I have a sneaking suspicion that there are good Asian places around... you just have to find them? They're probably small and out of the way.
re: SEA - Maybe it's only limited to flights to Tokyo, but ALL my trips to Bangkok via Tokyo were routed through SEA unless I made a point to choose LAX. SEA was great because I'd do a weekend stopover to see friends before heading off to BKK. The international terminal is pretty big and seemed to have a lot of flights.

Asian in SA - there are some good places, but what I've found is it pays to become a regular. The staff get to know you, know you like "real Asian" (be it CHinese, Vietnamese, Thai, whatever) and they'll make special dishes for you. The standard fare, esp. the lunch specials are very watered down americanized versions. I have a few Thai places I really like, but that's because they know me and cook it real Thai. I have a colleague with a similar arrangement with a Chinese restaurant. There's no point going without him, because it won't be the same.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:02 AM

Good to know that there are good Asian places out there. Unfortunately my fiance's idea of trying something new and exciting is going to Panda, but a year ago she wouldn't even think of going there so there's still hope.

Flights to Japan are strange sometimes... for some reason a coworker would always get routed through Detroit and then have to take a domestic flight to get home. Maybe it's one of those corporate cost cutting things. Who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio