U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2011, 04:56 AM
 
2 posts, read 6,116 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbotello View Post
Roberto,

The band with Jack & Bones was most likely called Apocalypse. They played at King Arthur's Court as well.

I played at Chances R Club in the early 70's with a band called Sujarjammer, which included a singer named Ambrose who also sang in Apocalypse.
jack martinez ( singer) stanley revillas ( bass) kim balderas( trombone) anthony martinez( trumpet&vocals) bones ( drums) buddy goodall ( guitar)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2011, 05:00 AM
 
2 posts, read 6,116 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbotello View Post
Roberto,

The band with Jack & Bones was most likely called Apocalypse. They played at King Arthur's Court as well.

I played at Chances R Club in the early 70's with a band called Sujarjammer, which included a singer named Ambrose who also sang in Apocalypse.
jack martinez ( singer) stanley revillas ( bass) kim balderas( trombone) anthony martinez( trumpet&vocals) bones ( drums) buddy goodall ( guitar) 1978 then we moved to houston tx & played at a club called phaseIII
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 09:28 AM
 
Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,076,765 times
Reputation: 511
My Dad worked at Southwest Research Inst. When I was a kid I would sometimes ride in the car if he had a reason to go in the evening. We lived out by Wonderland and would take 410. I can remember passing the Bandera Rd Drive in. You could see the movie screen from 410 and I recognized the movie as "The Graduate". There was a CONOCO station across from the Main entrance of SWRI. If we stayed on 410 heading toward the Military bases, there was nothing past the Monkey Cages. I was always fascinated with the Monkey cages. I remember some of them got loose once. I remember the "Cable House" and I believe there was once a soap box derby track on the corner of Culebra and 410 where the Macdonalds is now. I alway's heard that "the barefoot nuns" lived in that convent on Oak Hill and you could some how request that they pray for something troubling you. I remember when Culebra and 410 was a four way stop and Ingram Mall wasn't built yet. We used to take Culebra Rd to Medina Lake and turn where an ancient gas station was. My dad would alway's say "I remember when there was gas in that pump!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 10:17 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,719 times
Reputation: 10
My family lived at Stinson Homes (formerly Barracks) from 1961-1967. We had a large apt that was 2 combined apts. Can you imagine the rent was only $52.00 for a large living room, a large dining room, a kitchen, 4 bedrooms (one added by my father), 2 bathrooms, a large walk in closet plus 2 small ones, a large concrete area where we played games and all the space a kid could want. I attended Scheh Elementary School which is now closed and used to provide community services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 10:27 PM
 
Location: New Braunfels, TX
6,274 posts, read 9,030,495 times
Reputation: 6375
I can remember coming down Bandera road headed away from 410....as you topped the hill, you could see our house decorations (lit cross) on top of our chimney down in the valley during Christmas. Not many homes in the area back then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2011, 01:58 AM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,169 posts, read 54,158,927 times
Reputation: 163266
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineme View Post
My family lived at Stinson Homes (formerly Barracks) from 1961-1967. We had a large apt that was 2 combined apts. Can you imagine the rent was only $52.00 for a large living room, a large dining room, a kitchen, 4 bedrooms (one added by my father), 2 bathrooms, a large walk in closet plus 2 small ones, a large concrete area where we played games and all the space a kid could want. I attended Scheh Elementary School which is now closed and used to provide community services.
Yep! Used to run through there on our motorcycles as kids. Several rows of them before Memorial Stadium was built. Part of out military history here. There were single story former barracks housing in Brooks Pkwy at S. Flores and Military Drive. Where Academy now sits! Soon all of Brooks Field will be history. Commercialization of SE Military will be complete.

Don't get me wrong I welcome some of it. But, as always development goes to extremes. Sad, Brooks Field was a peaceful oasis on the south side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 08:50 PM
 
Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,076,765 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
My Dad worked at Southwest Research Inst. When I was a kid I would sometimes ride in the car if he had a reason to go in the evening. We lived out by Wonderland and would take 410. I can remember passing the Bandera Rd Drive in. You could see the movie screen from 410 and I recognized the movie as "The Graduate". There was a CONOCO station across from the Main entrance of SWRI. If we stayed on 410 heading toward the Military bases, there was nothing past the Monkey Cages. I was always fascinated with the Monkey cages. I remember some of them got loose once. I remember the "Cable House" and I believe there was once a soap box derby track on the corner of Culebra and 410 where the Macdonalds is now. I alway's heard that "the barefoot nuns" lived in that convent on Oak Hill and you could some how request that they pray for something troubling you. I remember when Culebra and 410 was a four way stop and Ingram Mall wasn't built yet. We used to take Culebra Rd to Medina Lake and turn where an ancient gas station was. My dad would alway's say "I remember when there was gas in that pump!"
I worked there from 1976 to 2004.. I wrote this song. It goes to the tune of "Mr. Sandman." Bum Bum Bum..etc..Mr. Safety--buy me some shoes--with steel toes and rubber souls--buy me some glasses with side shields--and little yella plugs to STICK IN MY EARS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 09:21 PM
 
Location: New Braunfels, TX
6,274 posts, read 9,030,495 times
Reputation: 6375
My Dad worked there from about 58-63 or so...used to love going out there with him and seein' the deer alongside the road as you drove in from Culebra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 12:17 PM
 
88 posts, read 248,303 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I worked there from 1976 to 2004.. I wrote this song. It goes to the tune of "Mr. Sandman." Bum Bum Bum..etc..Mr. Safety--buy me some shoes--with steel toes and rubber souls--buy me some glasses with side shields--and little yella plugs to STICK IN MY EARS!!
Haha,,, good one, DW! Do you have a tune of "Son of a Preacher (Safety) Man? I knew your dad and, after he retired, spent thirteen years in the department he managed. Small world.

Although development and urban sprawl was bound to happen, it just seemed that making the westward bend on Loop 410 at Bandera Rd. back in the late 60's/early 70's gave the traveler a sudden sense of being out in the middle of nowhere. As a teen living on the northeast side, I remember in 1971 buying a dirt bike from the Suzuki dealer on Mobud. Occasionally, my dad would have to drive me there to get parts or accessories and he would fuss like we were driving to the other side of the world. Funny to think that in 1974, I'd be making that same drive every day, except even farther, to work at SwRI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2012, 12:23 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
63 posts, read 229,097 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomer46 View Post
I was born in the original building of the Santa Rosa Hospital in 1946. At the age of 12 yrs I became the first MALE volunteer at Santa Rosa Hospital (Girls were called CANDY CANES..I believe) My family lived in an old Hotel which had once been a Bordello I believe and was turned into apartments. It was on 700 Hutchins only a few blocks from TERRELL WELLS SWIMMING POOL. Man! That place stunk of sulfer water but I had many an hour of fun there.
Later we moved to STINSON HOMES new what is now STINSON FIELD. They were nothing but old military barracks which had been turned into apartments. Close by was a cemetary which had small ponds throughout. Myself and my friends would go fishing in the cemetary often and catch perch. There were two old military barracks located on the STINSON HOMES property. Actually they turned them into an elementary school. They were small. We had the 3rd and 4th grades in one room. One teacher conducted classes for both grades. The janitor used to sell chocolate milk in a carton for 3 cents and ''DAY OLD" doughnuts for 5 cents each. I'd stay after school sometimes and help him clean. For the work..he'd pay me in DAY OLD doughnuts. I remember the ALLIGATOR GARDENS on Broadway which was later located right next to the hqtrs of USAA INSURANCE. The owners son (OF ALLIGATOR GARDENS) and I were playing (My father worked for USAA) one day and we almost caught the gardens on fire. We mixed sugar with Staffels Weed Killer (Was like gun powder!) and lite a match. The fire lept out of the huge jar and caught some large palm leaves on fire. I RAN!
Wonderland Shopping center was on Fredericksburg road. It was one of the rist indoor shopping centers in San Antonio I believe. I worked for FW WOOLWORTH at the mall while in high school. I attended Northside High School beginning in 1961. Northside Jr High was on the same ground as the high school. It no longer exists. Last but not least I worked for the SAN ANTONIO TRANSIT SYSTEM beginning in 1974. We drove the DREAMLINERS. I saved a police officers life when I used my bus (NO PASSENGERS ON THE BUS) as a shield from gunefire which was being directed at the police during an incident on WOODLAWN AVENUE. CONGRESSMAN HENRY B GONZALES's brother had escaped from the SAN ANTONIO STATE HOSPITAL and went to his mothers home to hide. When the police arrived to pick him up he came out with a rifle and shot one of the offices in the back of the neck..not killing him. I used my bus as a shield so medical aid could be given to the downed officer. One other officer was shot in the process. He was standing in the doorwell of my bus. I was awarded the HEROIC CITATION by the city of San Antonio and asked if I would like to become a police officer. I kindly declined.
Whew!
BB46, you sound like you would have been a really exciting playmate back in the 50's... LMBO... I had a couple of cousins who were supposed to be cleaning their room when they decided to take a match to the straw broom. When they heard their mama coming the stuck it under the bed, fire and all. Fortunatly she managed to get it out before the bed caught on fire. LMBO

I was born at Santa Rosa as well but 4 years later. So what were the boy volunteers called?

That must have been either Mission or San Jose cemetary, we used to drive through both at night when I was in high school. One night we saw some boys down there we thought they were ghosts at first. One of the boys with us yelled out to them. They said they were fishing.

I remember hearing about that incident with the shooting and the bus. My mom worked at the SA state hospital at the time. That was really brave of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top