U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 12:53 PM

12 posts, read 18,822 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, my wife had a assignment to photograph old buildings. We went to the area around what was once called Culebra Hill. A water tank was being built atop the hill and a subdivision was scheduled to cover the whole area. Going by an old topographic map and the description of the are by USGS surveyors in the early 1900's, we located a house and barn that was crumbling to the ground. The house was littered with old bank records as if the last owner worked for a bank. Does anyone know the history behind this house? I will post photos soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 01:31 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,433,637 times
Default Not sure....

Possibly, depends if we are thinking about the same spot..or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lforestier1964 View Post
A few years ago, my wife had a assignment to photograph old buildings. We went to the area around what was once called Culebra Hill. A water tank was being built atop the hill and a subdivision was scheduled to cover the whole area. Going by an old topographic map and the description of the are by USGS surveyors in the early 1900's, we located a house and barn that was crumbling to the ground. The house was littered with old bank records as if the last owner worked for a bank. Does anyone know the history behind this house? I will post photos soon.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:35 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,425,651 times
Curious where its located also?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:10 PM

Right behind St. Anthony Claret Church. I went by this description.

Quote:
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1943 (FBQ)
STATION IS ABOUT 19.6 MILES WNW OF SAN ANTONIO, 1.3 MILES
S OF THE CULEBRA ROAD, AND 0.1 MILE N OF THE C. SEEWELD
FARMHOUSE ON A PROMINENT BRUSHY HILL IN A PASTURE ON HIS
PROPERTY. IT IS ON THE HIGHEST PART OF THE HILL AND IS
8.5 FEET SSE OF A WHITE REFERENCE POST. IT IS STAMPED SEEWELD
1943 AND PROJECTS ABOUT 6 INCHES.

SURFACE, UNDERGROUND, REFERENCE MARK 2, AND AZIMUTH MARK
ARE BRONZE DISKS SET IN CONCRETE.

REFERENCE MARK 1 IS NW OF THE STATION AND IS IN A SMALL
BOULDER WHICH IS FLUSH WITH THE SURFACE OF THE GROUND. IT IS
STAMPED SEEWELD NO 1 1943.

REFERENCE MARK 2 IS SW OF THE STATION. IT IS STAMPED SEEWELD
NO 2 1943 AND PROJECTS ABOUT 6 INCHES.

AZIMUTH MARK IS ABOUT 0.25 MILE N OF THE STATION, 28 FEET E
OF THE CENTER LINE OF THE ROAD TO THE STATION, 4 FEET S OF
A WHITE REFERENCE POST, AND 1 FOOT E OF A WIRE FENCE. IT
IS STAMPED SEEWELD 1943 AND PROJECTS 6 INCHES.

TO REACH FROM THE JUNCTION OF U.S. HIGHWAYS 90 AND 87 AT
THE SAN ANTONIO CITY HALL, GO W ON HIGHWAY 90 FOR 4.15 MILES
AND TAKE A SIDE-ROAD RIGHT FORK WHERE THE HIGHWAY CURVES
LEFT. GO 3.5 MILES AND BEAR LEFT ON THE ALAMO DOWNS ROAD.
GO 1.15 MILES AND KEEP STRAIGHT AHEAD, W, AT THE ALAMO DOWNS
GATE, GO 7.3 MILES AND KEEP STRAIGHT AHEAD AT THE CULEBRA
SCHOOLHOUSE ON THE LEFT, GO 1.5 MILES AND TURN LEFT, S, ON
A GRAVEL ROAD, GO 0.9 MILE TO THE AZIMUTH MARK ON THE LEFT
AND CONTINUE STRAIGHT AHEAD, GO 0.2 MILE AND PASS THROUGH
A GATE, GO 0.25 MILE AND PASS THROUGH A GATE INTO THE
SEEWELD RANCH YARDS. GO E FOR 100 YARDS AND TURN LEFT
THROUGH A GATE BETWEEN A RED BARN AND A WHITE SHED.
PICK THE BEST ROUTE UP THE HILL FOR ABOUT 0.25 MILE TO
ITS SUMMIT AND THE STATION.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:21 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,425,651 times
Interesting information, thanks.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:20 PM

Photo my wife took.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:23 PM

There is (or was) a Seewald family that lived nearby. I don't know if they are related to the owner of this house. Surveyors could have misspelled the surname. I ran across this obit when searching for information. Zion Lutheran Church of Helotes - Seewald, Carl
Zion Lutheran Church of Helotes - Seewald, Ella
Could these folks be the last residents of this farmhouse?
Their son still lives near the location of this place, according to city-data.com
http://www.city-data.com/bexar-count...html#googleMap

Last edited by lforestier1964; 06-12-2012 at 11:37 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 09:35 PM

Judging by the design of the farmhouse, can anybody estimate when it was built?

Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 PM

263 posts, read 368,467 times
Hello i'am new to the forum,I moved to the north side in 1967 in the middle of March and entered Colonies North.I also attended Pat Neff Jr. High,graduated from Holmes High in 1973.This was before Ingram Prk.was even thougt about.Alamo Downs bleachers were still up and remembering actualy seeing the race track while visiting my fathers cousins who lived and worked on the property.I was about 5 yrs. old ,it was at night but the moonlight gave the racetrack an errie glow.I would like hear from other classmates and share some memories of that time.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:24 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,433,637 times
Default Albert,

I was at Holmes 3 years earlier than you but I -think- I remember you,Albert . You graduated alongside my brother,
whom was also a 1973 graduate. He however went to Sul Ross Middle School not Pat Neff.
We also moved into the Thunderbird Hills subdivision in 1968 and away from the Highland Hills area way back when the areas south of Ingram Rd and either side of Oak Hill Rd. were brand new homes under construction.
Yes, and the spot where Ingram Park Mall now stands was a Limestone Quarry. San ANtonio People had been quarrying there , out of that spot for Gravel for a long, time.
Whether it was only only gravel from the stream bed at Leon Creek there or removing hills by blasting and
processing the limestone through a rock crusher, that was what was there at the Northwest side of the intersection of Ingram and Loop 410. A gravel quarrying operation. Nothing but open and flat space.
In fact, I would think that there used to be a hill or two or three there before they were removed, where the mall now stands.
Just as is still being done today on the outskirts of town with quarrying operations, the hill country is being flattened off in small areas..
Outside Ingram and 410 was wilderness of course and the "edge of town" of San Antonio back in the sixties and seventies. Also there was a Texaco gas station,Northwest side, the same motel building and a convenience store directlyin front of Holmes High and behind the Texaco station entrance called "Sunny's". A lot of the kids from the high school hung out at Sunny's after school was out every day. Next to Sunny's was the Neighborhood community pool for Thunderbird Hills. I never went , but I used to pick up my girlfriend there in the summertime. The pool could be crowded with kids. I am sure we have a lot of mutual friends from the old neighborhood, that is if you lived closeby or have acquaintances from mutual friends. I still have buddies I am good friends with from that old neighborhood. Friends for over forty years. Of course we all have moved away, but sometimes old friendships never fade away.
I am sure, Albert, we have mutual acquaintances. Probably moreso you and my little brother. He however, is not a member of this forum and back then he went directly into the Air Force in 1973.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert soliz View Post
Hello i'am new to the forum,I moved to the north side in 1967 in the middle of March and entered Colonies North.I also attended Pat Neff Jr. High,graduated from Holmes High in 1973.This was before Ingram Prk.was even thougt about. Alamo Downs bleachers were still up and remembering actualy seeing the race track while visiting my fathers cousins who lived and worked on the property.I was about 5 yrs. old ,it was at night but the moonlight gave the racetrack an errie glow.I would like hear from other classmates and share some memories of that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or