Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:44 PM

231 posts, read 376,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I remember the Bowling Alley and Restaurant in Billy Mitchell Village. Have a old friend who may know about the bar. I'll check with him!!
That would be Billy Mitchell Lanes. I use to hang out at the bar in the '80s but it wasnt a very FRIENLY place to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 05:48 PM

231 posts, read 376,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Interesting...you should post in the "Gone But Not Forgotten" thread too because I'm sure you're a treasure trove of information!!
By the way, I thought Northside High changed its name to John Marshall High in 1960...or so says the NISD website. Did the students not gravitate to the new Marshall name so easily at first since they were used to Northside High?
Can I get a link?? I searched but came up with too many to check.

Never mind, I found it.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,760 times
Default Hotwells

Anyone out there go to Hotwells? I wa there in the 50's..a great memory, little store , noon volley ball, Miss Montgomery , Coach Martin and McCain and the sock hops in the gym.

Hey ever go to Mission Stadium when the Missions played , it was out on Probandt close to Nuell Salvage. A beautiful ball park, too bad. They tore it down. Got any pics of it?

Old 04-07-2013, 09:49 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,463,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Fletcher View Post
Anyone out there go to Hotwells? I wa there in the 50's..a great memory, little store , noon volley ball, Miss Montgomery , Coach Martin and McCain and the sock hops in the gym.

Hey ever go to Mission Stadium when the Missions played , it was out on Probandt close to Nuell Salvage. A beautiful ball park, too bad. They tore it down. Got any pics of it?
I attended games as a child at the Mission Stadium. It was on Mission Road between Mitchell and Steves. Drove around it many years growing up. The Bexar County Juvenile Detention Center sits there now. The Stadium made it into the 70's. No pics ....wish I did have some.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:18 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,769,054 times
Good Grief, Richard Fletcher! Can't be but one of you. I haven't seen you since Hot Wells or maybe it was Highlands Hi. I went to Highlands for 2 years and then we moved out passed Leon Valley. Graduated from Marshall in 65. So you would know the names of Mickey O'Neil, LaNelle Liles, Richard Hasdorf, Jack Cambell, to name a few.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:55 AM

847 posts, read 2,217,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Fletcher View Post

went there often with my dad in the 50s 60s.

here's a picture.........
.... http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/13/75/64.../3/628x471.jpg
and another...........
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...ervue-park.jpg

Last edited by *mud*; 04-08-2013 at 08:08 AM..

Old 04-08-2013, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the great pics Mud. Love the first one Nice full view of the entrance. The aerial shows all of the infamous "River View" Park . Looks like all the rides are in place. Great stuff many thanks Mud!

Old 04-08-2013, 02:40 PM

847 posts, read 2,217,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post

Thanks for the great pics Mud. Love the first one Nice full view of the entrance. The aerial shows all of the infamous "River View" Park . Looks like all the rides are in place. Great stuff many thanks Mud!
riverview park......
next image also has reference to Mountain Top...
Moderator cut: Photo URL Links have been edited, click on URL to view photo. If you do not own the pictures or you do not have permision from the owners to use those pictures, then do not post them.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-i_Qq63_0pu...iverview01.jpg
at one time I believe you mentioned that you didn't know of this ball field.

across from Mission Stadium - Richter Field.

was it part of RiverView??

second to last paragraph......
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nBNs_gVKvx...iverview06.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-i3chIrKz9G...iverview04.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-W144VutoVp...iverview05.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tv66F8PZsJ...iverview03.jpg
two negro deacons fanned the faith healer....
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Uo4utzFfr2...iverview02.jpg

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-08-2013 at 04:34 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
riverview park......
next image also has reference to Mountain Top...

at one time I believe you mentioned that you didn't know of this ball field.

across from Mission Stadium - Richter Field.

was it part of RiverView??

second to last paragraph......

two negro deacons fanned the faith healer....

Wow! Lots to take in there Mud. North St. Mary's Skating Rink...didn't recall the North part. The usual suspects for pachucos all the right streets. Mid 50's bad stuff. Yeah, I've seen the aerial before showing the field at NW corner of Mitchell and Mission Rd. Don't recall ever seeing a baseball field there,.. maybe just weeded over. Name Richter maybe Butter Krust connection..? Don't think it had anything to do with the River View Park. Always wondered the history of Mountain Top been up there a few times and in the building. Smaller little shacks around the hill. Rock patio for dancing...? Guess that's all been leveled now. Cervantes Arco ....

Sounds like Brother Love's traveling salvation show at the field.. The Trail Drive in was running in 46'. The little park must read .50 acres not 50. It did extend back to the river I guess. CPS owns all that land now.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:43 PM

235 posts, read 420,407 times
i remember that club. i was working for Falstaff Beer as a helper in the 71-73 time frame. we used to deliver long neck bottles here. one morning while delivering the beer on that particular day(it was my birthday), the owner gave me a drink....one led to another; led to another; well, you get the picture. got to the beer truck; passed out. i woke up at the end of the route. my driver just smiled at me and said, "just stay in the truck. i can handle it from here."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio