Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:33 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Lol...yea this thread went way in left field all the sudden.... The reason San Antonio is so fat is because of all the Mexican food, that's the reason.
No, it's not. California, Arizona and New Mexico all have an abundance of Mexican cuisine, yet not one city from any of these states in the top 10? But, 3 Texas cities are indeed in the top 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 09:37 PM

325 posts, read 781,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I do my part, I eat locally was opposed to buying beef that was raised and fed in Africa. Raised on their land and fed their grains (that could have been used to feed their people).

Or buying produce from Mexico, again, I purchase locally instead of taking food from the mouths of natives.

Lost Crops of Africa: Volume I: Grains
Beef from Africa??? I would love for you to source your talking points.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:27 PM

657 posts, read 1,936,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DMaxx View Post
Beef from Africa??? I would love for you to source your talking points.
ERS/USDA Briefing Room - U.S. Agricultural Trade Briefing Room: Trade Balance

The US had run a surplus in Agricultural trade since the 1960s, including beef. I doubt we really import a significant amount of African Beef. In looking around I couldn't find any numbers for Africa specifically. Beef imports are are very small as a percent of consumption, and half of what we do import comes from Canada.

More than likely any Beef you buy was born, raised, and slaughtered in the US.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:35 PM

325 posts, read 781,140 times
It's just amazing to me that anyone would actually propose that the largest producer of beef and grain on the planet, who happens to be the most generous country in the world would be guilty of depriving Africa of beef or grain. I know if is in vogue to hate America but come on.................

Old 01-15-2009, 10:47 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
No, it's not. California, Arizona and New Mexico all have an abundance of Mexican cuisine, yet not one city from any of these states in the top 10? But, 3 Texas cities are indeed in the top 10.
Read the method in which they come to this list conclusion. It's beyond moronic.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:18 AM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Well, I will just have to disagree to an extent. California is full of many more healthy choices as well, and the cuisines in Phoenix, and Albuquerque do not represent that of here in San Antonio. Maybe in instances, but not as a general percentage. I agree that there have to be other factors outside of just "Mexican Food", but I believe that that is the most significant factor. Fast food, exercise, etc... do deffinately play a role as well no dbout. Also "fat" is not simply something the majority of people inherit just because they eat bad. I eat anything and everything I want, but I eat it in small quantities throughout the day, and stop before too late. Also I exercise anywhere from 2 to 3 hours a day minimum. Many people are so dormant that metabolism plays what I think is the most significant role.

I've noticed that many families, and individuals in San Antonio eat Mexican food at least once a day, and many others at least 2 or 3 times a week. A large percentage here I would imagine eat Mexican food more than 90% of the time. My visits to places like LA, Phoenix did not consist of much, if any Mexican food, but rather things like Armenian, Brazilian, Seafood, Sushi, etc.... Yes, there is other selection here, but not many options in the light of "healty" in comparison to other major cities.

Another thing I will add in the case of these "lists" is that they are extremely inconclusive, like others have already suggested, and non-factual. Primarily nonsense, but im sure some would disagree.

Last edited by TX_AGGIE13; 01-16-2009 at 02:30 AM..

Old 01-16-2009, 06:07 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Quote:
I agree that there have to be other factors outside of just "Mexican Food", but I believe that that is the most significant factor.

Another thing I will add in the case of these "lists" is that they are extremely inconclusive, like others have already suggested, and non-factual. Primarily nonsense, but im sure some would disagree.

Agree and agree...thanks for clarifying.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:21 AM

35 posts, read 78,492 times
We live just up the road from SA in Abilene and I'm suprised this town wasn't in the top 10. Seems the best thing to do in this place is eat....oh and go to church, where you can pray away those extra pounds.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:46 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAdams65 View Post
where you can pray away those extra pounds.
I know, sorry! But I had to...you can pray away your pounds:

Can You Pray Your Pounds Away? (http://www.vegetariantimes.com/features/477 - broken link)

Old 01-16-2009, 09:07 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
Quote:

I could not really say, I know that in a 10 minute radius from my home, I can think of at least 5 different gyms/rec centers/womens clubs that I could join.

Not to mention Salado Creek and Eisenhower Park. Also, I have nice, paved sidewalks in my neighborhood, which is also a safe place by the way.

I can't say for anyone in any other part of town. Maybe the extreme differences in socieconomics has something to do with it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio