U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2007, 11:40 AM

136 posts, read 511,924 times

Advertisements

Where's the Least Expensive Place to Own A Home:

http://www.bizjournals.com/edit_special/49.html (broken link)

Info Page on top 10 least expensive:
http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/slideshow/20.html?page=1 (broken link)

San Antonio is #7 and the Only one in Texas.
http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/slideshow/20.html?page=7 (broken link)

-Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 12:33 PM

546 posts, read 2,826,301 times
Good article, although I still think it's unfortunate that we're considered "cheap" based soley on comparisons to the incredibly over-inflated (and artifically manufactured IMO) real estate bubble in California (and a few other places). SA has gotten FAR more costly in the last 2-3 years and it's really out-of-whack when compared to the mediam incomes of most San Antonians - "cheap" or not. Basically, yeah if you're from San Francisco, SA is "cheap," but if you're some Joe Sixpack from SA working in, say, the hospitailty industry or working on cars, then buying a home in SA is pretty dang expensive these days. I just can't shake how much less homes were just 4 years ago, and I guess it's just tougher in my case as I've been looking at areas like Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills, Olmos Park, etc., which were ALWAYS pricey, just not as ridiculously over-the-top pricey as they currently are...Anyway, I just closed on my new casa today, and move in at the end of the month, so now I can finally sign a deep breath of relief and just divorce myself from maniacally scouring the MLS daily and the whole real estate racket in general, now I can concentrate on which paint stripper to buy, which lawn mower to get, etc. WHEW!

Old 03-09-2007, 01:18 PM

121 posts, read 400,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
Good article, although I still think it's unfortunate that we're considered "cheap" based soley on comparisons to the incredibly over-inflated (and artifically manufactured IMO) real estate bubble in California (and a few other places). SA has gotten FAR more costly in the last 2-3 years and it's really out-of-whack when compared to the mediam incomes of most San Antonians - "cheap" or not. Basically, yeah if you're from San Francisco, SA is "cheap," but if you're some Joe Sixpack from SA working in, say, the hospitailty industry or working on cars, then buying a home in SA is pretty dang expensive these days. I just can't shake how much less homes were just 4 years ago, and I guess it's just tougher in my case as I've been looking at areas like Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills, Olmos Park, etc., which were ALWAYS pricey, just not as ridiculously over-the-top pricey as they currently are...Anyway, I just closed on my new casa today, and move in at the end of the month, so now I can finally sign a deep breath of relief and just divorce myself from maniacally scouring the MLS daily and the whole real estate racket in general, now I can concentrate on which paint stripper to buy, which lawn mower to get, etc. WHEW!
Well, the people in Cali had to cope with the rising housing costs as well, but at a much, much higher magnitude. Imagine a home in 2001 costing $250k, then shooting up to $600k in 4 years! IMO, the home appreciation in SA in the last couple of years has been artificially manufactured as well due to out of state investors buying up all the housing.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:49 PM

546 posts, read 2,826,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m95roadster View Post
! IMO, the home appreciation in SA in the last couple of years has been artificially manufactured as well due to out of state investors buying up all the housing.
I agree 100%.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:10 PM

30 posts, read 109,666 times
Hi we are thinking of moving to texas from pa my husband would be working in san antonio, but we want to build in the surrounding area's that are the more urban away from the city, can somebody tell me what are the best county's and school districts? i have an 9yr old and a 6 yr old, so i'm very concrened about schools. How are the people are they friendly, because i've lived in pa for 4 yrs and do not have one friend. i moved here from nj and believe it or not in nj they are friendly then in this place i hate it, plus it's so cold...

thanks

Old 03-10-2007, 04:56 AM

60 posts, read 203,052 times
Cool Check out Boerne.

"PA123: Hi we are thinking of moving to texas from pa my husband would be working in san antonio, but we want to build in the surrounding area's that are the more urban away from the city, can somebody tell me what are the best county's and school districts? i have an 9yr old and a 6 yr old, so i'm very concrened about schools. How are the people are they friendly, because i've lived in pa for 4 yrs and do not have one friend. i moved here from nj and believe it or not in nj they are friendly then in this place i hate it, plus it's so cold...thanks"

Boerne is a 25-30 minute drive to SA. We moved from Palm Beach Gardens, FL in 1995 to Boerne. We, like you were looking for a place comparible to what we were used to, schools, quality of life, etc.,. Boerne has the best schools in the State & Nation. 48th cities in the nation to raise a family.
The property taxes are high, but the education is the best, I guess you get what you pay for?

I have a 50 minute commute to work (SA/one way), pain in the neck, but enjoy the w/e comforts of living in Boerne.

Boerne, Texas check the web sites.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:22 AM

30 posts, read 109,666 times
Smile Thanks What do you mean by high??

We have lived in nj and a great area with schools and the tax's there where 10.000 a year to me that's high.. Now i live in pa and the tax's are 5,000 with great schools to me that's low..

Any idea around where? Also we would like to build a home any builders? that are worth it and good?

Can anybody tell me anything about these towns and schools? In these towns? Best to worst
hay's
fredericksburg
gillespie
wimberley
kayle
gonzales
kendall

I have two children i really would like to do my homework with schools there ages are 9 and 6.

I feel like it can't be any worse then out here, I live in a one horse town with people that have a mind set that if you are not 3 generations born they don't want to be anything to do with you, it is very beautiful but the winter is so cold...

I'm excited but at the same time so scared.

thanks

Old 03-10-2007, 08:50 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,746,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m95roadster View Post
Well, the people in Cali had to cope with the rising housing costs as well, but at a much, much higher magnitude. Imagine a home in 2001 costing $250k, then shooting up to $600k in 4 years! IMO, the home appreciation in SA in the last couple of years has been artificially manufactured as well due to out of state investors buying up all the housing.

I totally agree with Roadster and Googie. I've watched the real estate market for a number of years and the past 4 years have been shocking in how fast the prices have escalated. The ghost effect is happening.....people are still believing the prices are great here, when in actuality they were a STEAL just a couple of years ago.

I experienced this in Dallas in the 80's. When American Airlines relocated their HQ to Ft. Worth, the influx of people from both coasts really shocked the market. At that time employees from Rochester or San Francisco left very modest homes and buy 4000 sq feet or more in very upscale areas....and still afford the taxes and upkeep. It was very discouraging for those of us that lived there and were stuck where we were living because the real estate prices were skyrocketing. I see the very same thing happening here.....only many of the buyers here are not planning to live here....they are investors.

Googie....congrats on your new home!!!!

Old 03-10-2007, 09:17 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,746,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA123 View Post
Can anybody tell me anything about these towns ? In these towns? Best to worst

hays
gillespie
kendall
gonzales

fredericksburg
wimberley
kayle
The first four above are all counties outside of San Antonio.

The county seat of Hays County is San Marcos.....this is approximately halfway between San Antonio and Austin. Wimberly and Kyle are also in Hays County.

Gillespie County is about 2 hours North and West of San Antonio. Fredericksburg is the county seat.

Kendall County is less than one hour North and West of San Antonio up I-10. The county seat is Boerne. (pronounced "Burney")

Gonzales County is about an hour East of San Antonio. The city of "Gonzales" is the county seat of the county by the same name.

All of these counties have web sites and might be able to provide you with some statistics. Kendall and Gonzales counties are a bit more remote. Kendall is known for having lots of retirees up in the Frederickburg area. It's beautiful up there and famous for Texas Peach crops!

Boerne, Wimberly, Dripping Springs, Kyle, Buda.....are all within somewhat shorter commutes to San Antonio or Austin and are feeling the development surges and growth/cost pangs.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:46 PM

85 posts, read 283,754 times
I bought my house in September 2001 at the price of $147,000.00, put about $15,000.00 into it and believe it or not, it's now worth nearly $300,000.00. Now tell me that isn't cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or