Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2007, 09:58 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times

Advertisements

For anyone who is new to the city and has not done the "Fiesta Week" experience, get ready for some fun, craziness, parties and hassles! (not to be confused with "Fiesta Six Flags"!!!!) Think Mardi Gras for 10 days Mexican Style! It gets bigger every year.....some people LOVE it and some people HATE it......but there is no getting around it without just leaving town. Just be prepared for life as you know it being rearranged a little that week.

This years Fiesta week starts April 20-29.

Here's a link to the schedule of events and Fiesta web site.

http://www.fiesta-sa.org/

Anyone have any interesting stories to share about their Fiesta experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 08:37 PM

409 posts, read 1,561,073 times
Default Fiesta Week

Thanks for the warnings! We have never experienced Fiesta but I'm sure we will try it at least once!

Old 03-16-2007, 08:47 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
Remember you need to get tickets to the biggest events. The river parade, the day parade and the night parade. The Fiesta Store is open and has the tickets, or can tell you how to order them.
Have fun. Be safe.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:05 PM

63 posts, read 238,989 times
Default Fiesta... Kid Friendly??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
For anyone who is new to the city and has not done the "Fiesta Week" experience, get ready for some fun, craziness, parties and hassles! (not to be confused with "Fiesta Six Flags"!!!!) Think Mardi Gras for 10 days Mexican Style! It gets bigger every year.....some people LOVE it and some people HATE it......but there is no getting around it without just leaving town. Just be prepared for life as you know it being rearranged a little that week.

This years Fiesta week starts April 20-29.

Here's a link to the schedule of events and Fiesta web site.

http://www.fiesta-sa.org/

Anyone have any interesting stories to share about their Fiesta experiences?

Thanks WCAT!!! My wife and I are looking forward to seeing what the hype is all about.

Does anyone know how safe it is with a 10 year old and a 1 year old ( I know we waited awhile ha ha ha)???

Should we bring a stroller or a Baby Bjorn (baby carrier)???

What would you recommend for parking??

Last edited by WarrenFamilyFaith; 03-16-2007 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: Question

Old 03-16-2007, 09:24 PM

There are so many events, so it's hard to answer your question. You might want to start with a visit to the Fiesta Store on Broadway. (see the link) and ask them about events appropriate for your age children. The River Parade is great because it's in the evening and won't be hot for an infant. But...the draw back will be the crowds and parking. You can pay a bit more for primo rsvd seats and they can advise on parking according to your location. The Battle of the Flowers Parade is also a big favorite, but it's in the day and can be brutally hot if you're not in the shade. Again....reserved seats are available.

Avoid NIOSA with kiddos! Especially "college night!" NIOSA (Night in Old San Antonio) ......great debates over pronouncing it...either NYE OH SAH....or NEE OH SAH. Years ago I only heard the later.....but I hear both now. It's in La Villita....great food, fun, but lots of drinking beer! They have cracked down a lot on alcohol limits.....but it's still one big party for several days. JMHO.....avoid the carnival. It's expensive, typical carny atmosphere and lots of adolescent kids running around unsupervised! A complete nightmare....and money better spent at Sea World or Six Flags.

The Fiesta Flambeau parade is also at night, but not quite the splash of the other two. It's never been on my list and honestly how many parades does one city need???

Have fun! Check back if you hear something from the officials at the Fiesta Store!

Old 03-17-2007, 09:04 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
Isn't there a King Williams event also? I've never been there during Fiesta.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Isn't there a King Williams event also? I've never been there during Fiesta.

I think there is. It's a bit more low key I think and confined to the small park area (or used to be!) I remember it being something that would be ideal for younger kids! Thanks for the reminder.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:37 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
The King william Fair starts with a parade at 9 AM from Brackenridge High up Guenther Street into the main King William Distrcit. It covers the entire neighborhood. Food, crafts, bands, beerand lots of peple watching. I call it NIOSA in daylight. It started small and very family friendly. It's become so crowded now that I just sit on the porch and watch it.
The houses are not open to the public and lots of residence have private parties.
It's still fun, but a stroller or baby carrier would be difficult.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:05 PM

87 posts, read 330,495 times
There is so much to do and see during Fiesta, a plan is very, very much in order! My big thing used to be the carnival and to some extent, the parades. Now I will skip work for the Pin Pandemonium, will mug someone to go to at least one ball and Cornyation, and hit NIOSA only toward the end to avoid crowds.

I'm a bit put-out that Hermann Sons is now part of NIOSA, and won't be having Herman's Happiness at the lodge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio