U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 04:04 PM

796 posts, read 2,756,297 times

Advertisements

I loved Dr. Kuhl. He was my first non military doctor. I have not seen him in a while since we moved to Leander for 8 years. He usually ran late for the appointments, but no one seemed to mind because you knew that you were going to get the same personal attention he gives everyone. I had asked to be induced, since my other two were, and he obliged. :O) He was very calm and soft spoken during the delivery. When we moved to Leander, his brother, Walter, was the girl's pediatrician. I loved him as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 01:34 PM

15 posts, read 51,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I love love love Dr Peter Kuhl, Lone Star OB/GYN. He is very non-intervention oriented and was recommended by a number of homebirthers and midwives. He uses St Luke's hospital, and everyone has raved about their maternity care. I haven't delivered with him but have had emergency surgery with him and have been seeing him for awhile, through some other issues. He's not only very respectful of more natural birthing options but strongly encourages them. if you're someone who will want an elective c-section or an induction at 38 weeks because you're sick of being pregnant, he's not the right person to see. He doesn't hesitate to do what's medically necessary, but will not do anything medically unnecessary. He'll let you labor as long as he feels is safe to do so and won't push drugs if you don't want them (he also won't discourage if you do).

Lone Star Ob/GYNs have certified nurse midwives who do hospital births only as well, and work under various OBs.
Wow - Dr. Kuhl sounds exactly like what I'm looking for! I've seen too many doctors push unnecessary c-sections simply for their own convenience. Not to mention docs that have no bedside manner! We chose a doctor quickly when we relocated during the 8th month of my second pregnancy and you can watch my doc in the birth video reading a newspaper as I'm pushing. He also induced me when it was unnecessary and was encouraging a c-section (again unnecessary). This time I got smart and asked for personal opinions here. I think I hit the jackpot!

Thanks again everyone and if anyone has any other suggestions, I appreciate them all!

Old 01-21-2009, 02:41 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,348,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSTL1 View Post
Wow - Dr. Kuhl sounds exactly like what I'm looking for! I've seen too many doctors push unnecessary c-sections simply for their own convenience. Not to mention docs that have no bedside manner! We chose a doctor quickly when we relocated during the 8th month of my second pregnancy and you can watch my doc in the birth video reading a newspaper as I'm pushing. He also induced me when it was unnecessary and was encouraging a c-section (again unnecessary). This time I got smart and asked for personal opinions here. I think I hit the jackpot!

Thanks again everyone and if anyone has any other suggestions, I appreciate them all!
I can't rave about him enough. I first came to him in desperation after two ER visits (I didn't have an OB at the time). It was an emergency situation, my husband was out of the country and I was home alone with an 18 month old. Not only did he deal with the medical aspects, he was very kind and considerate and walked me through the whole hospital processing as I was on my own, and was very attentive after the surgery. He dealt with the emergency situation with such calm and reassurance, though it was very scary.

He does talk A LOT. So his appointments do tend to run over, but I've never waited very long for him - I've waited much longer at other OBs who maybe see you for 10 minutes tops.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I can't rave about him enough. I first came to him in desperation after two ER visits (I didn't have an OB at the time). It was an emergency situation, my husband was out of the country and I was home alone with an 18 month old. Not only did he deal with the medical aspects, he was very kind and considerate and walked me through the whole hospital processing as I was on my own, and was very attentive after the surgery. He dealt with the emergency situation with such calm and reassurance, though it was very scary.

He does talk A LOT. So his appointments do tend to run over, but I've never waited very long for him - I've waited much longer at other OBs who maybe see you for 10 minutes tops.
He sounds really great! I definitely don't mind waiting for a good doctor! Do you know, since he's part of a large practice is the delivering doctor random based on whoever is on-call for deliveries that day?

Old 01-23-2009, 05:26 AM

173 posts, read 555,254 times
I too have had a wonderful experience w/ Dr. Kuhl! I had a different OB for my 1st who decided to stay in a breech presentation.....so I ended up w/ a c-sect. When I was pregnant w/ my 2nd my OB said I would have to have another c-sect. He didn't do VBAC's. I soon found out that Dr. Kuhl is one of the few remaining docs who will still perform a VBAC.
I found him to be just as great as the other posts describe. I admire him for advocating letting birth happen when THE BABY is ready to be born rather than scheduling inductions for convenience!

I too had a good experience at St. Luke's. It is definitely a more "natural birth friendly" place. They also provide co-care which is where you get the same nurse for you AND your baby. What does this mean? It means that they do all the care, vital signs, etc.. for the baby in your room instead of taking them away to the nursery for hours on end. I find this to be SO important for moms who are trying to establish nursing.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAnative View Post
I too had a good experience at St. Luke's. It is definitely a more "natural birth friendly" place. They also provide co-care which is where you get the same nurse for you AND your baby. What does this mean? It means that they do all the care, vital signs, etc.. for the baby in your room instead of taking them away to the nursery for hours on end. I find this to be SO important for moms who are trying to establish nursing.
That sounds really great! Exactly what I was hoping for! I actually wanted to try a water birth this time around, but didn't see any area hosptitals that offer that option.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:02 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,348,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSTL1 View Post
He sounds really great! I definitely don't mind waiting for a good doctor! Do you know, since he's part of a large practice is the delivering doctor random based on whoever is on-call for deliveries that day?
I don't know as I've never actually had a successful pregnancy since I've been with him (1 ectopic and 1 m/c).

Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,469 times
Lone Star and Women Partners are both great, I would also recommend Dr. Gail Vanwingerden for a doctor who believes in natural birth. I am a doula and have worked with her in the past, she is very good.

Blessings,
Brenda
[mod]link[/mod]

Last edited by Bo; 05-21-2009 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: Signature and link deleted. Contact information should be in your profile only. See my DM for more info.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,522 times
Hello All,
I am new to this board but couldn't help putting my vote in for Dr. Kuhl and the midwife program at St. Lukes. Dr. Kuhl delivered my son who is now 16yrs old. He is like a midwife in Dr.'s clothing. Now that I am a birth doula here in San Antonio I recommend him to all my clients that want to choose the way they give birth. He is so about letting women do birth in the way that feels natural to them. I have done several births with the Lonestar midwives recently and have had the same great experience. Unless something is medically wrong they let the mother have the kind of birth she wants. I did a vbac birth with Amy Bible (one of the midwives) last week and it was a totally awesome experience. St. Lukes is one of the only hospitals that will allow you to bring a birth tub for your birth. Here is a link to a site that has birth tubs in a box at a very reasonable rate
Moderator cut: link - new members w/fewer than 10 posts may not make recommendations

Thanks for letting me share. I wish you all the best.

Last edited by Bo; 05-21-2009 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Signature and link deleted. Contact information should be in your profile only.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanantoniodoula View Post
Hello All,
I am new to this board but couldn't help putting my vote in for Dr. Kuhl and the midwife program at St. Lukes. Dr. Kuhl delivered my son who is now 16yrs old. He is like a midwife in Dr.'s clothing. Now that I am a birth doula here in San Antonio I recommend him to all my clients that want to choose the way they give birth. He is so about letting women do birth in the way that feels natural to them. I have done several births with the Lonestar midwives recently and have had the same great experience. Unless something is medically wrong they let the mother have the kind of birth she wants. I did a vbac birth with Amy Bible (one of the midwives) last week and it was a totally awesome experience. St. Lukes is one of the only hospitals that will allow you to bring a birth tub for your birth. Here is a link to a site that has birth tubs in a box at a very reasonable rate
Moderator cut: link

Thanks for letting me share. I wish you all the best.

Hi Carol,
A very belated thank you for your message! I love that he's like a "midwife in Dr.'s clothing!" To me, that is the very best possible recommendation! I have my first appt with him on June 9. My next stop is to check out your Doula site and the site for birth tubs!!! I'm beyond excited that St. Luke's will allow us to bring one!!!! We're not pregnant yet, but plan to start trying now that we're settled into the area.
Thanks again!!!
Kristil

Last edited by Bo; 05-21-2009 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: updated quote to match original
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio