U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:42 PM

16 posts, read 50,407 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in a getting a home built in a new subdivision off NW Military just north of 1604. Its called The Presidio and it is being built by McMillin Homes. Does anybody have any experience with this builder or know much about the new subdivision? I've done quite a bit of searching on the internet and haven't found much independent information on them....good or bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 04:39 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,193,980 times
It seems like an odd location sitting right behind that shopping center and next to the military base. Also, the houses are right on top of each other...no yard at all. For what it is - they seem very expensive.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:33 AM

23 posts, read 80,760 times
I actually just signed a contract on a home there. I work for an architecture and landscape architectural firm so I have had adequate research as well as many people look at them. McMillin is out of California, the only other place they build is in SA. They bought out Gordon Hartman and have a partnership with him although he doesn't work with their designs.

The options on the homes are much more Californian. The yards are smaller, but they have a big amenity and greenbelt amenity for kids...which is fine because I don't want to mow an enormous space. The floorplans are highly efficient and the exterior options differ enough to keep all the homes away from being so standardized.

Actually, the location is amazing! Think about it, your property value will stay the same or rise. Because it neighbors Camp Bullis only limited development around you can be made...they have major pull on any development in the nearby quarry as well. It is bordered by shopping such as La Cantera, the Rim, the Landmark (future), 1604/Blanco shopping, Peasanos, and the only neighborhoods nearby are Shavano Park and Rogers Ranch. All pretty high dollar items! Plus you are right off the highway and not tucked all the way into say....stone oak.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:10 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,155,956 times
My wife and I drove this this neighborhood this afternoon, we had to stop at Academy and I wanted to show it to her (I drove through it a week or so ago by myself).

The houses are interesting, narrow and close but nice looking. We love the terracotta roofs and the stucco exteriors; but the yards are very small, too small in some cases. Californians may not like a large lawn, but I don't want to trip out my back door and run into the fence! Our dogs and kids need someplace to play, and these yards are way too small!

We also noticed that several of the homes along the Military side of the community were undergoing repairs on the outside. It looks like the stucco cracked on many of them, but at least it appears the builder is fixing the problem. Still, considering how new these houses are, these issues aren't expected.

But the community is nicely landscaped. The builder appears to have made an effort to preserve some of the trees which is always nice to see.

As for location, the homes along the southern edge of the neighborhood look directly at the back of the shopping center where Academy is located. Ugh! However, the homes higher on the hill have a much better view. Those who sit on the northern edge of the community do have some treeline behind them but there is also a huge quarry right behind that. The neighborhood doesn't come anywhere close to butting up against Camp Bullis, that base's fence line is way on the opposite side of the quarry.

Also, when I was there by myself, I drove the Jeep back to where some of the new roads are going to be. There is a large apartment complex east which will overlook the majority of the lower part of the community. Personally, I wouldn't like that.

So while it is a very nice community with some beautiful homes, there is definitely sections that are more preferable than others. Location-wise, it is no better off than the majority of communities being built on the NW side of town; and working at Lackland it would add at least another 15-20 minutes to my commute even if I utilized IH-10.

Cheers! M2

Old 06-23-2010, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 12,027 times
This is the worst builder at there high price point. If you know anything about new home construction history you know of the KB Home issues in the late 90's and earliy 2000. Well same superindents and managers run this company. You will regret it!

This people don't not care about there customers. If they make a mistake don't expect them to correct it. They are of the attitude that if the customer doesn't like it someone else will buy it.

Buying a new home is stressful enough you really don't need to spend so much money on a home that has cracks withing the first 18 months of building. Although they home very nice designs and the stucco is a very nice detail but why would you decide to use stucco in a community right next door to an active quarry that will rattle your home 5 days a week?

I would build shone with any one other than mcmillin. When you purchase a home you should does sp with a company that cares for it's clients.

I am very much an industry insider and can not stress enough don't waste your money. Your home is to precious to allow McMillin Home to be your builder.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:18 PM

202 posts, read 500,889 times
I bought a Mcmillin home last year and my house is amazing and I have not had any problems whatsoever. I had wood floors installed and all the rooms were perfectly square. The installer even commented on how well the house was built.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:09 PM

80 posts, read 122,897 times
We closed on a McMillin home in February of this year. The customer service from the sales person, to the design center, to the mortgage broker was short of amazing. I found them to be very responsive and attentive. This was the second home we bought and the process was seemless especially compared to the first.

We are on a greenbelt and our back yard is huge but our front yard is somewhat small but not incredibly small. But some of the people in my development have both small front and backyards so it all depends on the lot you pick.

We have had a few minor build-out issues but the response time for the repairman is quick. For example, we had a leak and my spouse called at 8:00 a.m., McMillin Construction Manager responded at 8:15 a.m. and the repairman was at our house at 8:45 a.m.

I really have no complaints about the builder. So far they have been great.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:30 PM

7 posts, read 19,900 times
I like the area, but it's directly under a flight path. What do you think the noise will be like there? Will your houses shake?

http://upit.section31.us/uploads/Flight_Paths.pdf_page_1_of_4-20100630-203459.png (broken link)

Old 07-01-2010, 06:27 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,824,855 times
You're looking at arrival flight paths. Engines are usually at idle over the northside and as planes come in, until you get southeast of Blanco Rd when they're spooled back up for landing. I'm in Woods of Deerfield and I rarely hear anything at all when I'm outside.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 7,830 times
The houses in presideo are having issues with the stucco as it is cracking through-out the house due to the blasting at the rock quarry. Mcmillin is not warranting the cracks and even if they did they cannot match the paint of the stucco. Blotchs of un-matched paint is appearing throughout the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio