U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:17 AM

107 posts, read 368,700 times

Advertisements

Definitely Tampa.

I was born and raised in Tampa until I was 30. I live in SA now because my military husband is stationed here.

I really don't care for SA, and looking forward to leaving in a couple of years. I find the weather in Florida MUCH more pleasant. Tampa isn't really that hot because it is close to the coast and you get the gulf breeze. It does get humid due to the daily rain showers in the summer, but it really isn't that bad. Perhaps six months isn't enough time to give a real opinion of SA, but I am not a fan of the weather here. My husband is having a terrible time with allergies, which he didn't experience in Florida.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:52 AM
jdk

18 posts, read 78,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie1226 View Post
Definitely Tampa.

I was born and raised in Tampa until I was 30. I live in SA now because my military husband is stationed here.

I really don't care for SA, and looking forward to leaving in a couple of years. I find the weather in Florida MUCH more pleasant. Tampa isn't really that hot because it is close to the coast and you get the gulf breeze. It does get humid due to the daily rain showers in the summer, but it really isn't that bad. Perhaps six months isn't enough time to give a real opinion of SA, but I am not a fan of the weather here. My husband is having a terrible time with allergies, which he didn't experience in Florida.

I'm in the same boat as you, only it's my wife that is stationed in San Antonio.

I will concede that the weather is better in Tampa than in SA, but that's about all Tampa has going for it if you ask me. If the weather is the only deciding factor, you're probably never going to like SA because it's not going to change.

I personally feel that Tampa is great if you're a college kid that likes to party, but doesn't have much to offer for families. If all you care about is beaches and night clubs it's great though.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:21 AM

993 posts, read 2,188,011 times
If someone can verify this for me, but is it true that you have to pay a tax now if you want to move to Florida and you weren't born there? With all the baby boomers retiring and searching for warmer climates in the south, it is actually not a bad idea. Anyone experienced this and know what the cost was? May help the OP in his/her decision, not sure if military folks are exempt from it either.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:33 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
Newk

I've never heard of that, and I think it is urban myth. Here's an unofficial list of Florida taxes, I don't see a 'new resident' one. And here is the official state web site for taxes, don't see anything on their page either!

I still have family in Florida, and if such a thing were passed I am sure I would have heard about it!

Cheers! M2

Old 02-19-2009, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,016 times
WOW...there aren't any beaches in SA??! I plan on leaving South Florida to live in SA, but I like going to the beach with my little one. How far would we have to go to get to a beach?

Old 02-19-2009, 05:03 PM

199 posts, read 597,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Novemba View Post
WOW...there aren't any beaches in SA??!

Have you looked at a map lately?

Old 02-19-2009, 05:31 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,621,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie1226 View Post
Definitely Tampa.

What about crime, unemployment?
I've heard that Tampa is one of the places in the World that get the most lightnings and I'm guessing Tampa gets some hurricanes, too.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:55 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,524,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifikate View Post
Have you looked at a map lately?
Tell me about it!

Anyways, I would choose San Antonio over Tampa. For some reason, Florida doesn't appeal to me as a place to live.

However, may I ask why you are leaving New York? San Antonio is so spread out, no reliable public transportation, not to mention it'll be quite a culture shock for you.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:24 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,346,706 times
Quote:
WOW...there aren't any beaches in SA??! I plan on leaving South Florida to live in SA, but I like going to the beach with my little one. How far would we have to go to get to a beach?
Go to Sea World (Lost Lagoon).

Experience Home - San Antonio (http://www.seaworld.com/sanantonio/experiences/ - broken link)

Old 02-19-2009, 08:30 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,621,616 times
Quote:
2 hours away from the beach and no hurricanes

Reason #....
(don't remember) for me to pick San Antonio over any city in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or