U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-14-2007, 07:59 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
944 posts, read 2,803,062 times
Reputation: 263

Advertisements

But SA's downtown will not necessarily be its industrial/commercial base (except for tourism), so those inner areas could continue to rot, depending on what becomes of downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2007, 12:31 PM
 
546 posts, read 2,821,241 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst0n View Post
I've read this quite a few times already in this forum, it just makes me upset how some people tend to be pessimitic out of something good. So what is your point? Don't patronize new developments? Don't live in new nice community because its gonna get old in a few years time anyway? It's like saying why take a bath if you gonna get dirty at the end of the day. Dude, everything changes and passes away. will there be newer communities? of course everybody knows that, world population is growing. Now in relation to your scientific prophecy 20 years from now about stone oak, well i also predict civilation may extinct then due to world war 3 or global warming if you want me to be double your pessimism.
The point being that some folks need to learn or recognize a really simple real estate lesson. It seems so incredibly basic, but evidentaly it's not. Basically, I just get tired of all the hype surrounding Stone Oak (and the surrounding areas), seen it before, over and over, vibrant, exciting, NEW... then the newness dissipates, and it's "off we go" again to the "new" new spot, leaving another dump in its wake (there are so many of these areas I can't even began to list them). INSTEAD, wouldn't it just be better (and easier, less-exhausting) to live in an older area that has a proven track record and will NEVER suffer the same fate, thus protecting your property values AND your quality of life? Some examples: Northwood, Northwood Estates, Oak Park, Terrell Heights, Terrell Hills, Monte Vista, Olmos Park, Bel Meade, Alamo Heights, etc. (and yeah, I know, they're all pricey BUT Stone Oak is pricey as well, and in some areas it's even pricier than Alamo Heights, BUT we all know what's going to happen to that market at some point, the opposite being true for the areas I mentioned. Lose money or make money? Nice area that will actually stay nice or currently-nice area heading downward? Easy choice in my mind.). There are plenty of other older areas that spring to mind that I'm not super-familiar with, but seem mighty fine: Castle Hills, Oak Hills, etc.

Or how about tackling a "transitional" area, like King William or the more affordable surrounding Lavaca? Mahnke Park will explode soon enough (yeah, it's crap now, I know), but you can buy a Craftsman for 150K or so, put in another 100K and have a swank restored pad for the same price as a KB crapper in Stone Oak AND then have something that will actually appreciate in value AND you'll live in a cool urban environment/enclave in a couple of years (and I guarantee that Manhke Park will appreciate and change wildly for the better when the revamped Pearl Brewary complex is completed, as well as the new highrise condo that will fill the former Earl Abel's lot). There are many other up-and-coming neighborhoods in SA, they all have their ups-and-downs, and it can be a real crap shoot, but that's for another forum.

So really, why keep moving farther out? Simply move inward and circumvent future ghettos, and save some of those nice Hill Country trees while were at it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2007, 03:24 PM
 
443 posts, read 1,359,633 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
The point being that some folks need to learn or recognize a really simple real estate lesson. It seems so incredibly basic, but evidentaly it's not. Basically, I just get tired of all the hype surrounding Stone Oak (and the surrounding areas), seen it before, over and over, vibrant, exciting, NEW... then the newness dissipates, and it's "off we go" again to the "new" new spot, leaving another dump in its wake (there are so many of these areas I can't even began to list them). INSTEAD, wouldn't it just be better (and easier, less-exhausting) to live in an older area that has a proven track record and will NEVER suffer the same fate, thus protecting your property values AND your quality of life? Some examples: Northwood, Northwood Estates, Oak Park, Terrell Heights, Terrell Hills, Monte Vista, Olmos Park, Bel Meade, Alamo Heights, etc. (and yeah, I know, they're all pricey BUT Stone Oak is pricey as well, and in some areas it's even pricier than Alamo Heights, BUT we all know what's going to happen to that market at some point, the opposite being true for the areas I mentioned. Lose money or make money? Nice area that will actually stay nice or currently-nice area heading downward? Easy choice in my mind.). There are plenty of other older areas that spring to mind that I'm not super-familiar with, but seem mighty fine: Castle Hills, Oak Hills, etc.

Or how about tackling a "transitional" area, like King William or the more affordable surrounding Lavaca? Mahnke Park will explode soon enough (yeah, it's crap now, I know), but you can buy a Craftsman for 150K or so, put in another 100K and have a swank restored pad for the same price as a KB crapper in Stone Oak AND then have something that will actually appreciate in value AND you'll live in a cool urban environment/enclave in a couple of years (and I guarantee that Manhke Park will appreciate and change wildly for the better when the revamped Pearl Brewary complex is completed, as well as the new highrise condo that will fill the former Earl Abel's lot). There are many other up-and-coming neighborhoods in SA, they all have their ups-and-downs, and it can be a real crap shoot, but that's for another forum.

So really, why keep moving farther out? Simply move inward and circumvent future ghettos, and save some of those nice Hill Country trees while were at it .
ok if we follow your logic, assuming there are more or less 13000 households in 78258 zip code alone, which is where stone oak is, how can all these people including me fit and find an available house to buy in these areas you mentioned? are they all vacant and abandoned? i'm hoping not... yes there will be a few for sale, but its not enough to supply the demand. population is exploding not to mention immigrants and transplants coming in.. development is inevitable.... there is need for mass housing development as the population explode... and this is not unique to san antonio... it is happening all over the world...

and besides, how can stone oak get trashy if there is a strict HOA? And the HOA fees is 3 or 4 times higher than other regular communities. Residents have to maintain their house from the outside, yards have to be well kept or you get penalized, you can not leave christmas lights hanging after the holidays, you can not put up something in your back yard that is higher than your fence or that can be an eyesore, and you can not alter your house from the outside without approval of the HOA because it has to follow a certain common look in the entire neighborhood, among others... if these are not an assurance that the neighborhood will be well kept, what more for neighborhoods that don't even have an HOA, which are more prevalent in neighborhoods closer to downtown...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2007, 11:13 PM
 
546 posts, read 2,821,241 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst0n View Post
ok if we follow your logic, assuming there are more or less 13000 households in 78258 zip code alone, which is where stone oak is, how can all these people including me fit and find an available house to buy in these areas you mentioned? are they all vacant and abandoned? i'm hoping not... yes there will be a few for sale, but its not enough to supply the demand. population is exploding not to mention immigrants and transplants coming in.. development is inevitable.... there is need for mass housing development as the population explode... and this is not unique to san antonio... it is happening all over the world...

and besides, how can stone oak get trashy if there is a strict HOA? And the HOA fees is 3 or 4 times higher than other regular communities. Residents have to maintain their house from the outside, yards have to be well kept or you get penalized, you can not leave christmas lights hanging after the holidays, you can not put up something in your back yard that is higher than your fence or that can be an eyesore, and you can not alter your house from the outside without approval of the HOA because it has to follow a certain common look in the entire neighborhood, among others... if these are not an assurance that the neighborhood will be well kept, what more for neighborhoods that don't even have an HOA, which are more prevalent in neighborhoods closer to downtown...
I'm NOT implying that all of Stone Oak should just suddenly abandon their post, god forbid, what I AM saying is that Stone Oak is pricey in general, so given that fact and the choice of spending, say 300K, on a house in Stone Oak or spending it on one in an established neighborhood like Northwood, Monte Vista, or Terrell Hills (heck, even the presently crummy Mahnke Park), you're simply gonna come out on top in the long run (financially AND psychologically)...that's all I'm saying. It's an age old case of "don't believe the hype," etc., etc., etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2007, 11:18 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
944 posts, read 2,803,062 times
Reputation: 263
Googie2525, I'm afraid that a lot of the people going to Stone Oak have two shopping carts full of small children that they are wheeling around Costco on a regular basis, and they wouldn't fit into a $300,000 house in Terrell Hills, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2007, 11:51 PM
 
546 posts, read 2,821,241 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Googie2525, I'm afraid that a lot of the people going to Stone Oak have two shopping carts full of small children that they are wheeling around Costco on a regular basis, and they wouldn't fit into a $300,000 house in Terrell Hills, etc.
Ha, so true! I tend to forget that I'm in the minority when looking at housing (being that my girlfriend and and I are one of those "selfish" couples that have no plans on breeding, and tend to avoid Costco...although I DO have a Sam's card - strictly for business reasons though) You're absolutely right though, I suppose if I had to choose between a 1500 sq ft home in Terrell Hills or the same-priced 4500 sq ft house somewhere in Stone Oak-land, AND I had 6 children in my shopping cart, then Stone Oak, here I come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2007, 11:24 PM
 
23 posts, read 75,836 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPinSC View Post
It will happen eventually, emilie. I've seen it happen in too many cities already, and the pattern is always the same. Eventually, the suburbs get too far out, and all of a sudden all those older close-in homes start looking better and better.

When it does, pockets of the inner areas start revitalizing, and the quality/price of the inner neighborhoods start climbing. It happened here in Charleston, SC - you had your historic district, which was always pricey, then blocks and blocks of virtual falling-down ghetto outside of that. About 10 years ago, people got sick of driving an hour to get to downtown, and now those old shacks are being snapped up and remodeled for a pretty penny. It's insane. The lot may be worth more than the house now.

San Antonio has not fully hit that turning point yet, and I can't say when it will, but it ALWAYS happens.
So glad to hear thats happening in Charleston, MPinSC. I sure hope the same happens here in SA, and that the locals discover our wonderful downtown SA is not just for tourists, and is worth having easy access to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2007, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Highland Village
1,433 posts, read 3,522,481 times
Reputation: 998
We recently moved here and really like most of the areas you all are talking about. I like Alamo Heighths and that area but we can't afford a house in there AND be able to fix it up how we would want. So we are looking North of town. I have been shocked how people really feel so much anger towards the new development. I have been told we are looking at souless houses. I think the homes North of the city are beautiful. It just suprises me. A lot of the people who have said we are looking in a souless area can afford different areas of town then we can. I have met really kind and nice people in the North Central side of town.
As someone new to the city, I think this is a wonderful city to live in. We have only been here a few months and people are very welcoming and friendly. There seems to be a lot of great choices for housing and I don't think you could go wrong with many of the areas listed on this thread. We have looked at all of them lately. You just have to find what is right for you and your family. There are nice people everywhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2007, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Seaford, Delaware
3,471 posts, read 17,228,589 times
Reputation: 2624
Please do not refer to my neighborhood as "crap". If you look at some of the cottage houses in Alamo Heights and compare them to Mahncke Park, you will see the same style and design.
I live in Mahncke Park by choice...it's not crap. It may have been at one time, but in the last 10 years it has become more desirable. It's all opinion and choice.
You may not like the area and think Alamo Heights is the cat's ass, but some people have different wants and needs and desires.
I don't like some other areas of the city becasue of the buildings or location do not appeal to me. I do not refer to them as crap!
Some people have investment forsight and can see the beauty, potential, or charm of what some may refer to as a bygone era. And those bygone neghborhoods are becoming fashionable again.
King William is maxed out with price and controls by a board that is comprised of people who have been in SA at the most 5 years.
If you look and compare, Southtown and Lavaca are the same houses and same design, it's just on the other side of St. Mary's St. and NOT in King William. Guess what areas are now hot in the market? Same thing with Mahncke Park and Alamo Heights.
I refer to Mahncke as Bohemian Alamo Heights. I may have the 09 zip, but I always make sure people know I do NOT live in Alamo Heights.
I also DO NOT live in crap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2007, 10:03 PM
 
23 posts, read 75,836 times
Reputation: 15
mlee70, the Inspiration Hills neighborhood is very convienient to St. Mary's University, affordable, centrally located, with nice houses that are not at all trashy... My dad taught at St. Mary's and we lived there and he loved being so close to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:41 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top