U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Status: "just keep scrolling then?" (set 13 days ago)
 
14,613 posts, read 31,140,476 times
Reputation: 6656

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
Ming the Merciless? Anton Szandor LaVey?
Quite a resemblance to both!

 
Old 01-25-2009, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
13,807 posts, read 26,291,155 times
Reputation: 3987
for what it's worth, I never said he was drunk. I simply stated that I couldnt' stand the guy and I continue to find new reasons to despise him. I also still hope he gets hit by a truck and suffers a LOT
 
Old 01-25-2009, 03:41 PM
 
Location: The "original 36" of SA
816 posts, read 1,474,517 times
Reputation: 636
Wow. I guess I'll throw in my two cents before the thread gets locked.

I agree that his column could be construed as "arrogant", but I also agree that it was a "damned if he did, damned if he didn't" situation.

That said, I was a member of a group that spoke to the E-N editorial board about a month ago. I sat across from Mr. Guerra, and was shocked to find that he appeared to be a frail, older gentleman. When the meeting ended and he got up to leave, he did not in any way resemble the person I conjured up in my mind from reading his articles over the years.

I'm not making a judgement, but just remarking that in "real life", people sometimes don't match the persona projected in their writings.
 
Old 01-25-2009, 03:45 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,629 posts, read 14,339,010 times
Reputation: 18705
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
Maybe we can see the police report. From what I have seen, they can be pretty detailed!!!

Funny, I suspect Mr. Smartypants' mouth is what got him in trouble and it will be his lawyer's mouth that gets him off it. Being an A** to a cop is not the crime he was charged with, and without other incriminating evidence, I suspect the DUI charge will be tossed.

Then, he can follow-up this incident with the standard book deal where he tells his life story, admits he was an alcoholic, was really liquored up when they busted him and the whole incident saved his life. He'll have found God and a good signing bonus with many Barnes & Noble appearances - maybe even the Today Show. Later, they will make a movie on the Lifetime Channel and it will turn out that the source he spoke of meeting in the Hill Country was actually a lover or at least an illegitimate daughter.

But I might be reading too much into it.
The only thing you forgot was the Oprah book club endorsement!
 
Old 01-25-2009, 04:33 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,629 posts, read 14,339,010 times
Reputation: 18705
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
You continue to insist that Guerra was "drunk" when he was pulled over, without any evidence to support that fact. And I'm sorry, but the fact that he's a writer that you happen to dislike doesn't count as "evidence" of his guilt in this matter. And your "training" as a clairvoyant nurse to accurately gauge his alcohol intake doesn't count, either (although that's quite an impressive skill-set).

Being arrested doesn't equate to guilt. And drinking wine with dinner doesn't neccessarily mean he was "drunk".

Maybe his BAL was over the legal limit. Maybe he was "drunk". Maybe he was disrespectful to the arresting officer. The point is that YOU DON'T KNOW!!!!!! Don't you believe it's important to know the facts of a matter before developing an opinion?

As long as you continue to insist that he's guilty ("drunk"), I'm going to continue to point out that you're making an uninformed, ignorant, factless claim supported not by facts or evidence, but by your personal distaste for Guerra.
Hummm.......seems I stated IF his BAC was over the limit...never professed (or cared) to to know if it was or not. How is that accusing him??? Again, either he was or wasn't drunk...and if his BAC WAS over the limit, then he was legally Driving while Impared (drunk). Again, not my laws, so take your beef up with the folks that set the rules if you have problems with them.
 
Old 01-25-2009, 04:34 PM
 
Location: NW San Antonio
2,953 posts, read 8,601,712 times
Reputation: 3211
We read what he wanted us to read, his side of the story, what we didn't read, is, what else he had had before that meeting. He got stopped at 11:25pm, he states the drinks and dinner were 3 hours, so, he got off work, drove to the "Hill Country" where ever that is, had nothing? until dinner and at least those 2 glasses of wine. The things left out, a man of 61, is he in good health, taking any medication at all, prescribed or not, because that alone can make even one glass of wine affect a person for a very long time.
Also, this man shouldn't be driving at all any way. By his own admission, the lights, the noise, they confused him so much he didnt know what to do, he dropped his wallet, he was completely bewildered, disoriented, thank god the SAPD stopped him, before an ambulance or a firetruck passed him and confused him. That could have gotten him so upset he might have ran right into them and actually hurt someone. I think the SAPD did us a great favor, this man should not be allowed to drive again until he is medically proven stable. His eyesight is very weak, his mental condition is to the point that Im surprised he even knew his way home.
The other amazing thing to all this, with all that confusion and bewilderment going on at that time, he remembers it now in his writing, perfectly. Now isnt that a miracle. Saints be praised. Halleluiah.
 
Old 01-25-2009, 04:59 PM
 
824 posts, read 1,601,499 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Hummm.......seems I stated IF his BAC was over the limit...never professed (or cared) to to know if it was or not. How is that accusing him??? Again, either he was or wasn't drunk...and if his BAC WAS over the limit, then he was legally Driving while Impared (drunk). Again, not my laws, so take your beef up with the folks that set the rules if you have problems with them.
Yeah, and you also stated:

"so why should we feel sorry just because this time HE is the drunk????"

You're correct when you say that "either he was or wasn't drunk". And if he is convicted by a jury, in a courtroom, where all the facts are presented, then he should suffer the legal consequences.

But you and the rest of the lynch mob here seem to be quite convinced of his guilt, either because you don't like the man, or you lack the capacity to understand that our laws provide that people are presumed innocent.

Are you going to apologize to Mr. Guerra if he's not convicted of this crime? Something tells me the answer is "no"...
 
Old 01-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Status: "just keep scrolling then?" (set 13 days ago)
 
14,613 posts, read 31,140,476 times
Reputation: 6656
It's laughable to think that just because he'll never be convicted, that automatically makes him innocent and worthy of an apology. Laughable.

And will we get an apology from HIM if it turns out he was completely lying about how it went down? Something tells me the answer is "no"..........
 
Old 01-25-2009, 06:23 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 83,675,284 times
Reputation: 18036
Typical story of all drunk drivers and its up to him to convince the jury if he wantsd to go by that story as a defense. Otyherwise he most likely will not take the satnd and just contest the officwer(s) thru his attorney liike most do.
 
Old 01-25-2009, 06:43 PM
 
Location: South Side
3,770 posts, read 7,274,789 times
Reputation: 2852
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
for what it's worth, I never said he was drunk. I simply stated that I couldnt' stand the guy and I continue to find new reasons to despise him. I also still hope he gets hit by a truck and suffers a LOT
Why would you wish suffering upon another person? Did this guy do something to you personally?

Last edited by perticusrex; 01-25-2009 at 06:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top