U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:44 PM

824 posts, read 1,605,080 times

Advertisements

Funny, I get the same feeling about your posts. You seem to be the only one who feels that way (and it is just your opinion, inasmuch as you like to act like you are right and everyone else is wrong).

The fact is that you (and the rest of the lynch mob) clearly believe that Guerra is guilty. Our justice system says he's not guilty until he's convicted (and I agree). So, yeah, you're wrong to accuse/slander/judge the guy.

For one, I never said being arrested meant automatically that someone was guilty; but even you should understand that an arrest only occurs when there is evidence that a crime has been committed. Yes, a person has the right to a trail; but you are acting like the police just arrested him for being a journalist. He was arrested because he was suspected of breaking the law, something you can't avoid no matter how much you love the guy.

I'm not "acting like the police just arrested him for being a journalist." And I don't "love the guy", though I think he's a thoughtful and lucid journalist. Please understand: I believe it's possible he was DWI, and if he's convicted, he should be punished. But here's where we differ: I am going to wait until he's tried and convicted before I conclude that he's guilty.

And with respect to your contention that "an arrest only occurs when there is evidence that a crime has been committed", I simply disagree. "Suspicion" of a crime, yes. "Evidence", not so much.

Secondly, the majority of people are expressing their opinion based on the arrogant article this piece of work published. They have every right to make their own assessment based on the words he wrote. That is not arrogance, that is called a Constitutional right. And I seem to also notice that you have no problems slandering people by saying they are using bizarre and twisted logic based on what they right on this forum. So you can judge others, but no one can judge your or Guerra? Now you know where the elitist opinion originates from!

You're right - anyone can express their opinion. But that doesn't make their opinion valid. And if an opinion happens to be counter to the spirit of our justice system ("It's obvious this guy is guilty, and he should be hit by a truck, and then suffer, and then die"), then that opinion deserves to be criticized.

Guerra was providing his account of what happened that night, which he has the right to do. You accuse Guerra of being an "arrogant cuss", even though you're the person who claims "that is not arrogance, that is called a Constitutional right." That's difficult to reconcile.

And people are welcome to "judge" me and whatever I say. But I'm arguing for a legal principle that's central to our justice system, and a person's right to a presumption of innocence. What, exactly, are you & the rest of the lynch mob arguing?

And please don't lecture me on the American idea of liberty and justice, as I spent nearly a quarter of a century in uniform defending those ideals, as well as your freedom of speech. But my sacrifices don’t mean I have to accept whatever hogwash emits itself from your keyboard.

I am grateful and endebted to you for your service to our country.

Lastly, I am appalled that anyone would condone any drinking and driving; but perhaps you are just proving your ignorance on the huge problem that it is in this town. I just hope you or anyone you care for is the victim of a drunk driver, as I am sure your opinion would change if you had to experience it firsthand.

If you define "drinking and driving" as having two glasses of wine (or a couple of beers, or a couple of margaritas) with dinner and then driving home, then, yeah, I guess I do condone that. And I believe most people would agree with that position (the law certainly does). Of course, no one believes that it's okay for a drunk person to drive.

And, just to make sure you are clear on where I stand, I will leave it to a jury of Guerra’s peers to determine his guilt or innocence of the charges that have been filed against him; but I have every right in the world to believe he is an arrogant cuss simply from the one article I read. The only positive thing to come from all of this is that I now know better not to pollute my mind with any of his (or your) drivel again!

So if he's acquitted, will you still believe that he is "arrogant" because he defended himself publicly against the charge? You are certainly entitled to believe Guerra is arrogant (though it speaks volumes about you that you've developed that belief by reading just one of his articles). I've never met him; maybe he was DWI, and maybe he's the most arrogant person in the world, and maybe he's just a terrible person period.

But it's troubling that my fellow citizens are so inclined to judge a person based on unsubstantiated charges, intuition, rumor, instinct, gut-feelings, and suspicion.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:49 PM

199 posts, read 598,113 times
Yeah I agree dvlpr, I hope Guerra does time or gets fired at least. He is a disgrace to journalists everywhere.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:14 PM

3,153 posts, read 5,186,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexandCajun View Post
I'm not crucifying him, but he opened himself up to the posts in this thread by printing his blow-by-blow in the paper. All he had to do was state that he was arrested, he will go to court, and shoo the elephant out of the room.
I agree. All he should have done is state that he was arrested for DUI, he believes he is innocent, and he looks forward to having his day in court.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:11 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,340,699 times
that simple sentence would've worked perfect for me too

BTW, the First Amendment gives a person the right to write almost anything they want, but there is no right to arrogance. I think most people won't accept that from anyone and will actually see it as a turn-off or agitator.

BTW2, why the incessant name calling? it seriously does nothing to one's credibility..

Old 01-26-2009, 07:35 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,290,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
BTW2, why the incessant name calling? it seriously does nothing to one's credibility..
Neither does wishing for people to get hit by trucks

Thought I must agree that the sheer arrogance of his article is what completely turned me off, and now while I dont wish for him to get run over by a truck, I could careless if he ever writes another single article again or enjoys another scrumptous meal...a mediocre one maybe, scrumptous no.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,200,060 times
Nothing productive is being accomplished here, so we're done discussing this for the time being. Open a new thread when the trial starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or