Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:58 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times

Advertisements

sorry, but I wish a lot of people would get hit by trucks.
Maybe it's just me getting older, or maybe it's this city, but something is making me seriously not like a lot of people. Besides, like I said earlier, read up on this guy..

Old 01-25-2009, 08:01 PM

778 posts, read 2,503,572 times
RD, you are just cranky. That comes with getting up early in the morning.

Like RD, I can't say I call myself a fan of the suspect. I let his writing speak for who he is, and to be honest, I am not impressed. Either through the fault of poor editors, or his own poor wordsmithing, I find that his columns (and yes, I do read him) often come to a complete halt midway through his point. But the man is otherwise well respected in the community so I simply don't blame him for using his column to address the issue. As someone else said, he was in a no win situation. He either says nothing and he and the paper are suddenly trying to hide it, or, as we have found, he addresses it and people claim he is using his power to get a better chance than the average Joe.

My other issue is simply this, and I suspect it is not a popular one. Because of the valiant efforts of groups like MADD and the very much needed education about the terrible effects of impared driving, specifically the result of too much liquor, we have somehow begun to associate having a few drinks with dinner or at a sporting event or even at a bar with drunk driving.

There is a reason why they have a so called limit. That is becasue most people agree that a person who is otherwise healthy can consume a drink or two over a period of time and still retain the ability to function within reason. Should a person drink a single beer and perform brain surgury? No. Should a person have a glass of wine before going into work? I doubt it. But my point is, we have somehow equated two glasses of wine over an extended dinner as impaired.

I have stated previously in this thread that I believe Mr. Guerra has some issue with his explanation. Are we to belive he only had two glasses of wine? How big were those glasses? Did he get all cranky on the cop? That's my guess, but we simply don't know.

I for one am glad he wrote the column. It beat having to read the other nonsense he routinely puts forth.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:41 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I think the use of his column in an attempt to clear himself was pretty disgusting. He really came off very arrogant and almost elitist! Did we really need to hear about his scrumptious meal? Yeah, about as much as we needed to hear who his attorneys are and his lame excuses.
I have read his columns several times. Although he picks what he wants to write about, IMO he DOES NOT have the right to plead his personal case in it. At first I thought he was writing a novel, not a column (see BOLD above). This should be fought out only in the courts and not his column! As the saying goes...tell it to the judge!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Although he picks what he wants to write about, IMO he DOES NOT have the right to plead his personal case in it.
Oh yea? In fact, he got paid for doing so.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:11 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Originally Posted by Steel Man
Although he picks what he wants to write about, IMO he DOES NOT have the right to plead his personal case in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
Oh yea? In fact, he got paid for doing so.
Just adds insult to injury...

Old 01-25-2009, 09:14 PM

18 posts, read 82,494 times
Judge Angelini will impartially preside over the case.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:16 PM

284 posts, read 759,276 times
Is this a private blog, for about three of you to rant????? Some really questionable comments in here, with apparently, some kind of agenda. The guy's a newspaper columnist - of COURSE he's gonna use his column to explain his side. Who has time to type so much in here?

Old 01-26-2009, 03:25 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Hummmm....the plot thickens. Seems Mr Guerra has a PRIOR DWI charge from March of 1985. Was not too anxious for his "day in court" back then...had it delayed until Jan 1989

Kinda like the pot calling the kettle black for someone who printed an article slamming GW Bush for his drinking and driving issues....oh wait, that is different.

Last edited by Paka; 01-26-2009 at 04:35 AM..

Old 01-26-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Hummmm....the plot thickens. Seems Mr Guerra has a PRIOR DWI charge from March of 1985. Was not too anxious for his "day in court" back then...had it delayed until Jan 1989

Kinda like the pot calling the kettle black for someone who printed an article slamming GW Bush for his drinking and driving issues....oh wait, that is different.
Queue the Oprah appearance!

Old 01-26-2009, 04:49 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post

And how many times since then has he just had "2 little bitty glasses of wine" and gotten behind the wheel?

Can't wait to see the video/police report. That might settle some of this "personal blogging" we're doing.

Even though he got FREE newspaper space to blog his case, and got paid for it to boot. They should bill him, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio