Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 04:39 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,084 times

Advertisements

Is there a way to bring excitement and income into our city without cruelty to animals?

I have been to a rodeo once when I was quite younger, it was in Dallas. I was about 12 and had knots in my stomach the whole time.

Rodeo Cruelty

I would rather patronize the Spurs or any other sport that involved people and their athletic skills than what is done at a Rodeo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 05:14 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,949 times
Wow, I never thought of it that way. I haven't been to the Rodeo here (or any for that matter)....

Old 01-24-2009, 05:17 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,236,621 times
Calf roping has got to hurt! Let's do that to someone's limb's , not!
Can't even watch it on T.V.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:32 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,002,235 times
If I was a bull I rather live and buck then be sent to the slaughter house.

To the OP. You pick?

Old 01-24-2009, 06:34 PM

So those are the two choices for bulls in Texas?

Be slaughtered or have your testicles tied and be ridden by a "cowboy"?

Oh, and I am the one that gets to pick?

Moderator cut: off-topic

Last edited by Bo; 01-24-2009 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: It's fine to disagree, but per the TOS, don't insult those you disagree with.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
All who post here need to remember the following rules in the TOS.

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.
City-Data's a big board and there is room for multiple opinions here. It's fine to disagree, just don't pummel each other with insults as you do it. Focus on the ideas in the other post and avoid drawing conclusions about the person who posted them.

Some off-topic posts have been deleted above. To keep the thread on topic with the OP, let's make sure that each post in the thread refers in some way to San Antonio's rodeo.

Last edited by Bo; 01-24-2009 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Added paragraph about off-topic posts.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:03 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,634 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

Lol...well, good luck with that! I can't wait for it though, I got chutte seats, snake skin boots, leather chapps, and I hope to find a nice rare steak after the great event! No offense to you and your beliefs, but if your preachin anti rodeo to TEXANS!?!?...lol...you sure came to the wrong place. It's cultural down here, and we ranchers like it!

Last edited by Bo; 01-24-2009 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the original post was deleted

Old 01-24-2009, 08:27 PM

I really do not care what you choose to wear to the event or eat after it.

The original post in this thread was the idea that animal cruelty does not have to be synonymous with earning SA money or providing entertainment.

Even people who like to wear snake and eat cow can still find something entertaining about

SA without the cruelty of the rodeo no?

Old 01-24-2009, 09:18 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I really do not care what you choose to wear to the event or eat after it.

The original post in this thread was the idea that animal cruelty does not have to be synonymous with earning SA money or providing entertainment.

Even people who like to wear snake and eat cow can still find something entertaining about

SA without the cruelty of the rodeo no?
Well, again I wish you well, but I can tell you anti rodeo in Texas is never gonna happen... Maybe to a remote few, but not in general. The rodeos are only going to get bigger and bigger over the years as well.

Another big factor your gonna have trouble with is that the people who have ties to the Texas rodeos are the people in this state who have big money, ranchers. They love everything about rodeo and there is no one who has the ability to run them off...

Old 01-24-2009, 09:45 PM

604 posts, read 1,871,871 times
I didn't realize an 8 sec bull ride was considered inhumane

My dad's side of the family is very urban, as am I, but my mom's side of the family is all ranchers of sorts. We always spent 4th of July in Rocksprings w/ all of her family at my great-grandparents house, and one of the highlights of the weekend was the rodeo. Way I see it (from what I've seen and learned from my family), you use skills on the ranch to do what you gotta do, and the rodeo is simply a competition of who's the best at doing what they do.

If you work a ranch, and one of your calfs run off you go rope him up so that you can bring him back- it's not like you throw him into a ditch somewhere to rot, geez. Rodeo's no different.

Now, if someone is using mal-practice, that's different and that is bad, but that doesn't mean that the sport itself is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio