Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:44 PM

604 posts, read 1,871,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
I hope we get some good soaking rains then.

I second that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 12:56 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
I'm an animal lover, but never thought of the rodeo as a place that treated them inhumanely. The trailers they ride in on their way to the rodeo don't look all that comfortable, but other than that they seem to live a pretty good life. Isn't having sex one of the main jobs for the bulls? That combined with legally trampling people doesn't really sound like too bad of a job to me and it's definitely better than those stupid bull fights. Luckily the U.S. doesn't allow that third world "sport".
I'm hoping for rain too and snow. Then again I'll be in Wyoming for part of it, so I know I'm going to get some snow.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:58 PM

616 posts, read 2,082,908 times
The horses that are used for bucking are some of the happiest, most content horses out there, trust me. They're bred to buck. They work three or four months out of the year, and a work day consists of sitting around in a chute for an hour or so, followed by getting to buck the living daylights out of some poor human for 60 seconds or so, followed by dinner and bedtime. The other 8 or 9 months of the year are spent turned out to pasture.

There are horses out there with much poorer lives, believe me.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:31 PM

247 posts, read 843,720 times
California transplant, animal loving, vegetarian hippie here! No surprise here that you can add me to the list of people who hates Rodeos, I hate circuses too. It's not just the "sport" it's the auctioning of kids pets that I just can't watch. I'll just protest by not going and spending my money there and encourage friends, family and anyone who will listen to do the same.
Have fun all you beer swilling, chew spitting, wrangler wearing wantabes! lol
It's a slow time at my DH's work during that week too, maybe that's another reason I'm bitter!

Old 01-25-2009, 05:50 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,011,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendox View Post
Weren't you the guy grilling folks for spending their hard earned money on landscaping?

Chute seats, snake boots, leather chaps, and a nice rare steak - set you out over a grand for one evening-right?

how you can do that with the knowledge that some people are losing their jobs, I'll never know.

As for the rodeo - I am all for it. Usually go three times or so each year and really enjoy myself - weather permitting. I think that this is a quite a boon for San Antonio, and wish them nothing but the best.
My remark was pure sarcasm to the person posting...... I wear regular boots, and do eat out at the rodeo, I also do have chutte seats to both the SA Rodeo, and the Houston rodeo to all events for guess how much??? $0!! Yep, that's right! Have my whole life, my uncle was the chairman of the Houston Livestock and Rodeo for years. Also my father sponored Joe Beaver throughout his career (The #2 all around in history). As for the steak, nothing wrong with spending $30 on a meal here and now, doesn't compare to $25K for your yard...lol.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:52 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSA_wxatUIW View Post
I didn't realize an 8 sec bull ride was considered inhumane

If you work a ranch, and one of your calfs run off you go rope him up so that you can bring him back- it's not like you throw him into a ditch somewhere to rot, geez. Rodeo's no different.

Now, if someone is using mal-practice, that's different and that is bad, but that doesn't mean that the sport itself is bad.
Perhaps then roping at a ranch is for the good of the animal.

Perhaps an 8 second ride is, well, short. What contact do they have with agressive people and other animals. What about the transport of the animal? What unnatural chemicals are they being fed to grow so large? What is their fate when they are "spent" and their rodeo days are over? Basically, the entire environment is dangerous.

Just because we "can" does not mean that we "should". If a society can be based on how we treat our children, elderly and animals....

There are other events SA can be know for, events that are not cruel - Fireworks downtown on New Years Eve, the Spurs, the Hill Country...

Old 01-25-2009, 07:00 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasWeatherman View Post
If you don't like the rodeo in your town, change towns. Last I checked, it's still not San Antonio, CA.
There are many examples of people who do not pack up and take off when disgruntled regarding a city's reputation or policies - politicians, teachers, police officers - people who work for the greater good.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:55 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,680,780 times
I don't like the rodeo, either. Does not interest me in any way, shape or form. And I grew up on a ranch. I can see stinky poopy animals any day of the week.

However, the animals are not treated badly. They are brushed, fed the best grains, and treated likes kings/queens.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:07 PM

778 posts, read 2,502,481 times
Attention local TV news producers: (You know you visit CD). You should invite the OP for a day at the Rodeo to go behind the scenes and let him/her see the whole thing. It would make a great segment during the month of the Rodeo, and perhaps cr1039 could better see how much those animals are cared for up until the very moment they get inside my tummy!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:51 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Perhaps then roping at a ranch is for the good of the animal.

Perhaps an 8 second ride is, well, short. What contact do they have with agressive people and other animals. What about the transport of the animal? What unnatural chemicals are they being fed to grow so large? What is their fate when they are "spent" and their rodeo days are over?
FWIW....SA is already known for those other 'things" you mentioned.

Since there are so many unanswered questions, possibly you could do some research and present some facts to back up your claims.

Are "illegal" animal abuse issues are not of concern? Have you ever seen a **** fight? Dogs bred to kill and then thrown in a pen to kill each other? Have you seen a puppy/kitten mill? ...help some animals that are being brutally tortured and killed. Stop that underground "industry" and THAT would be productive.....

I have to agree with SC78250....get a behind the scenes look at the "life" of rodeo animals first hand. You might find another more worthwhile cause....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio