U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 03:27 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,289,640 times

Advertisements

well shuh, of course. I know how to be ghettoriffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 06:32 PM

it was one of the best food experiences I have had in a long time. We got there around 5:30ish and walked right in (we left around 7 and there was quite a line). Inside was very nice, clean, and well air conditioned. Tons of staff on hand and everyone was nice and attentive. Food was accurate and seriously filling and the waitress was attentive, but not constantly stopping by to see how we are. That is how I like it. I got ribs and shrimp, daughter got chicken and shrimp, and wife got steak and ribs. I don't know why she got steak because it is always an issue. She likes it black like charcoal and nobody can ever cook it dark enough. That's a whole 'nother story, though. The manager did bring it back to her after they turned it into a hockey puck, though. The food was very good and VERY filling. I ate it all because it was so good and they both brought back about half of theirs. We also split the cookie MONSTER and it's as good as it looks. My only issue with the experience was there was no spoon, so I had a hard time getting all the rice that was under the grilled shrimp and I wanted to because it was so good. The other issue was the forks somehow kept falling off the table. That was obviously no fault of theirs of course. The inside is really nice looking too and best of all, no foo foo food.
My only comment on the customer comment sheet was I'll be back and I definitely will.

forgot to mention we also got a side salad and they were also very good, but not needed at all. I would still get another one because it was really good.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:19 PM

11,929 posts, read 12,799,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
it was one of the best food experiences I have had in a long time. We got there around 5:30ish and walked right in (we left around 7 and there was quite a line). Inside was very nice, clean, and well air conditioned. Tons of staff on hand and everyone was nice and attentive. Food was accurate and seriously filling and the waitress was attentive, but not constantly stopping by to see how we are. That is how I like it. I got ribs and shrimp, daughter got chicken and shrimp, and wife got steak and ribs. I don't know why she got steak because it is always an issue. She likes it black like charcoal and nobody can ever cook it dark enough. That's a whole 'nother story, though. The manager did bring it back to her after they turned it into a hockey puck, though. The food was very good and VERY filling. I ate it all because it was so good and they both brought back about half of theirs. We also split the cookie MONSTER and it's as good as it looks. My only issue with the experience was there was no spoon, so I had a hard time getting all the rice that was under the grilled shrimp and I wanted to because it was so good. The other issue was the forks somehow kept falling off the table. That was obviously no fault of theirs of course. The inside is really nice looking too and best of all, no foo foo food.
My only comment on the customer comment sheet was I'll be back and I definitely will.

forgot to mention we also got a side salad and they were also very good, but not needed at all. I would still get another one because it was really good.

WOW! Rd liked it!!!

That's got to be about as good as it gets!

Thanks for the review.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:45 AM

4,080 posts, read 6,083,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post

One point overlooked rd....Price..in your estimation was the price you paid for the meal justify the amount of food received ??? It's been pointed out in this thread that food portions were generous in proportion to price paid. What say you ??

Old 07-01-2009, 03:23 AM

It came out to $75 for three people and that included a little over 20% tip. We got the three dinners plus soft drinks/lemonade, I had a funky margarita that I can't remember the name of, and we added the dessert plus three side salads. I can't remember the price of the soft drinks (probably around $2), the margarita was $4.99, each side salad was $1.99 extra, and the cookie MONSTER was $3.99. We left completely full plus a little extra full and my daughter and wife have lunch for today, so I would say that is a good deal. The fact that all three were satisfied is icing on the cake. I would say it was a great deal
BTW, the portions are larger than normal, especially the fried shrimp. Those things were freaking huge, but the grilled shrimp were just normal sized. They also use more pepper than most places, so if you don't like that I would recommend asking them to tone it down. The waitress did remember every special request we made and they were all delivered with the exception of not completely burning the steak and that is understandable because she wants it basically ruined.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:58 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,413,016 times
IIRC, their menu prices (at least in Dallas) were about $7-$13 (dinner entrees). I came across an old receipt the other day, and my husband and I were marveling at the value, since we had just spent quite a bit more at Marie Callendar's (which did not compare, in our opinion)

Old 07-01-2009, 03:25 PM

I think the most expensive meal was a steak for $19.99, so I would call it a pretty good value. It's hard to define that, though, or at least it is hard to come up with a definition that fits everyone. A $3 meal that is awful is not a value at all, just like a $30 meal that is some of the best food you have ever had is a great deal. I think anything over that is hard to justify, especially when you look at its life span. The longest you're going to keep it around is maybe 12-15 hours and any drinks are only going to be around a few hours.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:20 PM

4,080 posts, read 6,083,584 times
So what you're saying is that the quality and the quantity justify the price charged. If you were satisfied with the overall presentation then I would assume you got you're money's worth. Just wanted to get a handle on the restaurant. We went the other night and the hostess said you'll have a 30+ minute wait to be seated...to which I replied "really ?....but not tonight !!" We turned and left as well as the couple behind us....

Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 PM

778 posts, read 2,217,720 times
My wife and I hit Cheddar's at apparently the right time on Tuesday, and we had no wait, and awesome service. Not bad for day 2.

We'll return for more.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:32 AM

what time did you go DF? A lot of people go out for dinner pretty late here and luckily I go early. Our normal dinner time is 5:30, which gives you some time to digest the food before going to bed.
and what time did you go SC? I was there from a little after 5:30 until 7:00 on Tuesday.

edit- never mind, I read your report. Very nice pictures BTW
my wife said the same situation happened while she was waiting for us and it was also a woman being loud. There are times when I will raise my voice, but not enough time between the appetizer and the meal is definitely not one of them. This woman obviosly had a high opinion of food though; there was no other way she could keep up that disgusting body..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or