U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 06:32 PM

48 posts, read 150,987 times
Default Northside ISD, the good and the bad???

Can anyone tell me about schools, in particular elementary, within the Northside ISD. I do not mean the statistical stuff you get off the web site, I mean opinions from people who have children that attend the schools, in particular schools within the newer subdividions such as Alamo Ranch, Bella Vista etc... We are looking to move to the area.

Thanks,

MB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 09:47 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,833,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele164 View Post
Can anyone tell me about schools, in particular elementary, within the Northside ISD. I do not mean the statistical stuff you get off the web site, I mean opinions from people who have children that attend the schools, in particular schools within the newer subdivisions such as Alamo Ranch, Bella Vista etc... We are looking to move to the area.

Thanks,

MB
Well, my kids were in NISD Ed Cody Elementary School many years ago. No problems back then and I haven't heard of any problems from co-workers who have children in school. I live in-between the two areas you mentioned. As for Alamo Ranch (nice area), there is an ES (and MS) planned for the area, but nothing yet. I don't believe Bella Vista (also a nice place) will have any schools in its sub-division. Ott Elementary on Grosenbacher should be their ES (MS is next door).

Old 03-13-2007, 10:26 AM

283 posts, read 1,373,941 times
The good-

O'Connor
Clark
Brandis(opens in 08)

The Alright-

Marshall
Warren
Stevens

The bad-

Taft(fading very, very fast)
Holmes
Jay

Old 03-13-2007, 12:42 PM
lcw

118 posts, read 486,799 times
Best elementary schools:
Blattman, Leon Springs, Beard

Best middle schools:
Rawlinson, Stinson

Old 03-13-2007, 01:00 PM

11,057 posts, read 7,007,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
The good-

O'Connor
Clark
Brandis(opens in 08)

The Alright-

Marshall
Warren
Stevens

The bad-

Holmes
Jay
I don't know where you get your data from but Stevens should be in the "bad" section.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:03 PM

77 posts, read 334,583 times
I agree. I talk with some of the NISD police officers every now and then and they say that Taft and Stevens have the most incidents.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:20 PM

13,741 posts, read 5,371,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
The good-

O'Connor
Clark
Brandis(opens in 08)

The Alright-

Marshall
Warren
Stevens

The bad-

Holmes
Jay

Granted I'm biased, (Rams '82 ) but Marshall is definitely better than just "alright"...it's still a solid high school serving a great area and is still attracting new families that have recently moved to SA. Its zone has been cut in half time and again (Clark, Taft, O'Connor come to mind) its population continues to grow and its test scores still rank high. Also, NISD announced last month that out of 12 National Merit Scholar Semifinalists representing Northside, 2 were from Marshall, 2 were from Clark, 1 was from O'Connor and the rest were from the Health Careers High School and Communications Arts High School. Not bad from a high school that has been around since 1950 (original Northside High) and yet is still able to grow positively within its shrunken attendance zone and also offer an atmosphere of solid and consistent learning that continues to represent NISD well.

Brandeis isn't even open yet and its attendance zones won't be released until Fall of 2007, so how can you lump it under the "good" category? Shouldn't you wait until its educational standards are set, or are you assuming that it's "good" because of the areas that could be in its zones? By that measure, Taft High, which you have said is falling fast, should be on the upswing with all the new developments in its boundaries including, for now, all of Alamo Ranch.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:32 AM

119 posts, read 385,626 times
I'm suprized to hear that about Taft. Certainly with all the Alamo Ranch families contributing to the school it will get better. If the bond passes, they plan to build "Potranco West" HS south of Alamo Ranch. Until then, they all go to Taft.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:59 AM

341 posts, read 847,744 times
Is Taft really that bad? I have heard a mixed combination of comments about Taft. Why is this? Is the community around the area that bad?

My daughter was zoned for Taft but I'm glad she was accepted to Health Careers.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:28 PM

3,468 posts, read 5,648,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele164 View Post
Can anyone tell me about schools, in particular elementary, within the Northside ISD. I do not mean the statistical stuff you get off the web site, I mean opinions from people who have children that attend the schools, in particular schools within the newer subdividions such as Alamo Ranch, Bella Vista etc... We are looking to move to the area.

Thanks,

MB
Hi Michele,
We are in that area. My son attends Stevens, has since the day they opened last fall. I hate to say it, but I'm not impressed with it. He tells me nearly everyday about fights, gang bangers, drugs, etc. Many of the teachers are great, one he had was terrible (failed the class and then passed with flying colors and *loving* it during summer school with a different teacher). He's doing "ok" there, but I'm really concerned when my daughter starts HS in '09, as my son mostly talks about girls fighting and they sound brutal. Stevens is the HS for Bella Vista, Red Bird Ranch, etc. Our neighborhood was previously at Taft, and I hadn't heard much good from that one either. What I did notice on the Northside website previously and couldn't find when I went back, was the huge number of expected enrollment for Stevens in the next several years. Although it's just 1-1/2 years old, it will soon have the highest enrollment in all of Northside (it was something like over 5000 kids by 2010). And it already seems overcrowded! Seems like the faculty is having a hard time keeping up with the huge student population. Now, I also must admit that I'm a bit biased, as we have homeschooled for what seems like forever. But it just seems like the teachers don't get enough support from parents/community and they're fighting a losing battle.

Now, I know that you are particularly interested in elementary school imput, but my elementary/middle school age kids are still being homeschooled. The neighbor kids love Lewis (elementary) and Luna (middle) and parents I've talked to feel the same way. (Ott would be the elementary school for Bella Vista, etc. and I've heard good things about it as well.) However, I just figure that alot of the kids that are at the High School now went to those elementary and middle schools before and are from the same families. But what do I know, maybe the "troubled" kids are from the other feeder schools (which previously went to Jay)? Do research the Northside website well. There's tons of info on there and you can see exactly which schools are part of the '07 Bond and when they'd be built (if the bond passes, which it probably will). Some of those schools that the developers of the new neighborhoods are talking up so much are several years away! The new elementary school in Trophy Ridge opens '08, tho.

Hope this helps. If I may ask, where are you moving from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio