U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:20 AM

1,365 posts, read 3,963,676 times

Advertisements

Has anyone out there adopted a dog from Lackland??? --- If so, what was the adoption experience like --- i'm wondering if it's typical and similar to adopting from the Humane Society...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 11:37 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,268,236 times
you talking about the puppies? I could never do it because you have to give them back after a year or so and I would be WAY too attached by then..

or are you talking about the retired or unfit dogs? Google is your friend for that one: Lackland Air Force Base - 341st MWD

Old 01-29-2009, 11:48 AM

no, not the puppy foster program --- i was talking about the older dogs --- i have that link on my favorites already and i frequently check it ---

we currently have an 85lb Belgain Malinois and a 14lb miniature schnauzer, but i was thinking of adding a German Shepherd to the mix --- crazy, i know...we have had 2 shepherds in the past and well, it's just a thought...

lackland currently has 2 male shepherds listed that look really nice --- i was just wondering what the adoption process was like ---

also, our belgain is trained to "hit" on command and i am wondering how the 2 big dogs would get along...it may be asking for trouble...

we'll see...

Old 01-29-2009, 12:10 PM

as long as you're the leader, nothing should go wrong. I watch a lot of Dog Whisperer episodes and everything Caesar says works perfect. I'm sure a police officer would probably have an advantage over other applicants, especially since these dogs are security dogs.
I think German Shepherds are great dogs, but I have a fear of them because I was attacked twice as a child by two different ones and they can sense it when I get near them. The survival issue of Field and Stream has two beautiful black ones on the cover. That would probably be the best home security system you could have because the bad guys ALWAYS hate to see (and feel) German Shepherds.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:18 PM

116 posts, read 315,454 times
We adopted our dog from there last April. He's a yellow lab, 3 going on 4 years old. Has a great temprament, apparently flunked out of the search program. My husband was the main POC but he visitied a few times with Jack (our dog) and developed a rapport. I think he only had to fill out a few forms and was able to get his vet records, etc. It wasn't a long process at all but I'm wondering if it's cause he knew the folks there!

Old 01-29-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZ_098 View Post
We adopted our dog from there last April. He's a yellow lab, 3 going on 4 years old. Has a great temprament, apparently flunked out of the search program. My husband was the main POC but he visitied a few times with Jack (our dog) and developed a rapport. I think he only had to fill out a few forms and was able to get his vet records, etc. It wasn't a long process at all but I'm wondering if it's cause he knew the folks there!
thanks, that what i was wondering about, was the temperment, since they were trained dogs that failed one aspect of training, therefore leading to adoption...

Old 01-29-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
That would probably be the best home security system you could have because the bad guys ALWAYS hate to see (and feel) German Shepherds.
omg, you are so correct on that one --- just by looks alone our belgain is scary to alot of people --- then they hear her bark and it seals the deal --- the construction manager in our neighborhood won't even come in the house until she is put out back and many of the contractors have been scared silly by her...

she is really really sweet though and is a great dog with the kids ---

Old 01-29-2009, 01:36 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,721,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
as long as you're the leader, nothing should go wrong. I watch a lot of Dog Whisperer episodes and everything Caesar says works perfect. I'm sure a police officer would probably have an advantage over other applicants, especially since these dogs are security dogs.
I think German Shepherds are great dogs, but I have a fear of them because I was attacked twice as a child by two different ones and they can sense it when I get near them. The survival issue of Field and Stream has two beautiful black ones on the cover. That would probably be the best home security system you could have because the bad guys ALWAYS hate to see (and feel) German Shepherds.
That was a great article - couple more pics inside too.

I know a guy that works on Lackland in that area, I'll DM his info....

Old 01-29-2009, 01:44 PM

the beauty of social networking
there's almost always someone that knows someone somewhere that can hook us up

I've had service people afraid of my chihuahua before and I found that pretty odd. The chow and the crazy babies were locked outside and the chihuahua was the only one in and he wouldn't come in until I picked him up. He said one of his relatives has one and it always attacks him. I can understand why too after the way he handled mine. I could imagine how the guy gets mauled by two year old humans

Old 01-29-2009, 02:01 PM

237 posts, read 530,755 times
Our friends got a lab that 'flunked' the program. He's a great dog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio