Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:54 PM

66 posts, read 166,443 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has ever won a small claims suit for money owed and had a hard time collecting. I have heard that sometimes there are a lot of hoops to jump throught after you win the case. How much extra fees to collect money? Can you have defendent pay those fees? Can you garnish their wages in Texas? How long does the process take? I have done research, but don't seem to get any clear answers for the state of Texas, and I know all states are different. I know you can put a lien on any property they have other than their personal residence, and attempt to collect any property they might own, but not sure of what property could be considered exempt for them Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need my money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 01:27 PM

10 posts, read 32,454 times
You can't garnish wages in TX.

Preliminary info:Bexar County - Small Claims

Old 01-29-2009, 01:29 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
I know of two folks that have filed and won in Small Claims Court and neither one ever collected a dime...don't know if that is common, but that is the case for the only two that I know of.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:39 PM

135 posts, read 551,004 times
It is common!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:03 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
If you win in small claims, and get a judgement against someone, then you need to secure payment, which entails, collection, the judge should set forth terms. If the defendant has no assets, or liquid cash, then you're just up the creek. Main thing is go to SARMA on Broadway and make sure the thing is recorded on their credit record. Sometimes the courts don't do that. They just let it go, it also has a stronger appearance when that person tries to get credit in the future, and you can get it renewed yourself at SARMA, you don't have to let it die after the 7 year term.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:13 PM

66 posts, read 166,443 times
If the defendant does have cash, stocks, IRA's etc., can they judge order that they pay me? Can the judge order that personal property be sold or auctioned to satisfy the judgement amount? Thanks for the SARMA tip!

Old 01-30-2009, 02:00 PM

278 posts, read 693,404 times
i've won twice, got paid twice. first was easy since it was a company. the second took 2 years to pay, and i had paid out almost as much trying to collect over those 2 years.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:16 PM

330 posts, read 1,372,817 times
Do y'all think it's worth suing more for principle than money? We paid $300 to have someone put up our Christmas lights and take them down. The full $300 was paid up front when they came to put them on, and we were told to call and schedule an appointment to take them down anytime after Christmas. After numerous unanswered calls and emails and the arrival of late January, we gave up and got some quotes on getting other people to do it. Quotes ranged from $75 to $150. We ended up buying a 40 foot extension ladder (it's a large 2-story home on a hill) for $175 off Craigslist and doing it ourselves.

We're going to ask him to reimburse us $75, the lowest quote. I doubt he'll answer. Assuming he doesn't, do you sue? On one hand I want to teach the guy a lesson (for lack of a better term), but a) he might not care, b) it may not be worth my time.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:07 PM

796 posts, read 3,049,403 times
We are having a similar problem. At first we told them they will be sued if they don't show up (long story short). Well they showed up with a pole instead of the ladder they used to put the lights up. They left a lot of the clips on the roof and told my dh that they don't have to remove those and that they were not a business. We have a receipt from them with their business name on it. My dh is has set up a mediation meeting first and if that doesn't work he will take them to small claims court. Are the guys you dealt with named Joshua or Tony by chance?

Old 01-31-2009, 08:33 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Odds are, these are some of the guys that leave those illegal signs up at all the intersections around town. So I hope they go down in small claims court!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: