U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:57 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,728,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
All anyone is gonna ever see of it is the rear anyway.
That's what I was thinking - you'd only see the front if it was coming at you...

But what could you do? Are there aftermarket bracket systems available, so you don't have to drill into your car to make it legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,781 times
the most common interpretation has been, if there is a factory supplied provision of or for a front plate, you are required to have one there. if there are no holes or bracket, you do not HAVE to put a plate. However, the lack of a front plate will give them probable cause to pull you over, so be careful.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:45 PM

3,141 posts, read 5,161,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awyld1 View Post
the most common interpretation has been, if there is a factory supplied provision of or for a front plate, you are required to have one there. if there are no holes or bracket, you do not HAVE to put a plate. However, the lack of a front plate will give them probable cause to pull you over, so be careful.
I've never heard that one before. New vehicles sold in states that have a front plate requirement are supposed to have a provision for mounting a front plate, even though that provision may not be readily apparent. In some cases, the vehicles have "L" brackets that attach underneath the front bumper, or I think some of the newer vehicles with plastic bumper fascias have a provision that requires the use of self-tapping screws that penetrate the fascia.

I'm not even sure what my truck has. The dealer I bought it from had their nameplates & frames mounted on the front of all vehicles in inventory, and when I went back to get my plates, they mounted them.

I can remember back around the mid 70s when Texas switched from annual plate replacement w/year stamped on them, to multiyear plates that had renewal stickers, the renewal stickers went on the rear plate only. That caused a lot of people to interpret that as meaning the front plate was no longer required, so some people just removed them. I think some law enforcement agencies, particularly those in smaller towns and suburban cities, taught them differently.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:59 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,109,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awyld1 View Post
Show me that in the Texas Transportation Code (http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/tn.toc.htm - broken link), 'cause I have never seen it.

Otherwise, it is just hearsay...

Old 10-20-2009, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,397 times
can anybody point me in the right direction for the rules to the proper placement of a metal dealers tag. i got a ticket from a .......stupid cop that didnt know his laws and now i get to defend myself for his ignorence. the state only issues 1, one, dealers plate.......daaaa you can contact me at [EMAIL="atbtowing@yahoo.com"]atbtowing@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]. any help would be greatly appreciated. thx.

Last edited by anthony t bryan; 10-20-2009 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: forgot contact info

Old 10-20-2009, 05:16 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,109,630 times
Quote:
503.068. LIMITATION ON USE OF DEALER'S LICENSE PLATES AND TAGS.
(a) A dealer or an employee of a dealer may not use a
dealer's temporary cardboard tag as authorization to operate a
vehicle for the dealer's or the employee's personal use.
(b) A person may not use a metal dealer's license plate or
dealer's temporary cardboard tag on:
(1) a service or work vehicle; or
(2) a commercial vehicle that is carrying a load.
(c) For purposes of this section, a boat trailer carrying a
boat is not a commercial vehicle carrying a load. A dealer
complying with this chapter may affix to the rear of a boat trailer
the dealer owns or sells a metal dealer's license plate or temporary
cardboard tag issued under Section 503.061, 503.062, or 503.063.
(d) This section does not prohibit the operation or
conveyance of an unregistered vehicle using the full-mount method,
saddle-mount method, tow-bar method, or a combination of those
methods in accordance with Section 503.062 or 503.063.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Quote:
503.069. DISPLAY OF LICENSE PLATES AND TAGS.
(a) A license plate, other than an in-transit license plate, or a
temporary cardboard tag issued under this chapter shall be
displayed in accordance with board rules.
(b) A drive-a-way operator who has been issued a drive-a-way
in-transit license shall display the operator's in-transit license
plates on each transported motor vehicle from the vehicle's point
of origin to its point of destination in this state in accordance
with the laws relating to the operation of a vehicle on a public
highway.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended
by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 76, 10, eff. May 14, 2001.
Do those help?

Cheers! M2

Old 10-20-2009, 05:21 PM

37,739 posts, read 55,407,000 times
I guess, I got lucky - 19 years and no front plate. Never got warning or ticket for not having it at the front. I guess, cops love it, because it helps them to aimt the speeding gun, and it works great with the traffic cam...

Old 10-22-2009, 07:19 AM

23 posts, read 46,416 times
i think a lot all depends on the type of car you have. i'd say over 70% of the nissan 350z, porsches, and corvettes i see dont have the front plates. ive seen cops looking right at the front of the cars and do nothing. i have a friend who had a beat up ford truck and didnt have one on for over 9 years and never got pulled over.

i had a honda civic tuner, lowered with a body kit and wing on the back...i was pulled over 3 times in a 4 week span. 2 warnings and 1 ticket.

got to love the s.a traffic cops......

Old 02-18-2010, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 7,932 times
I focus on reading new traffic laws and have found that when you are in an accident and the damage is to the front of the vehicle........guess what that means. The front bumper and the grill. Your plate must be displayed "at the front" and that my friend means the bumper or gril. Now what some people have not stated is that the car dealer is required by law to provide "at no cost to the buyer in the state of Texas" a bracket to display the license plate.
Additionally there is a statute that to the readibility of the license plate, so if the plate is laying at an angle, it can not be read so there for it is in violation. So just put it on the car like you are supposed to. It may be a lawthat might be an aggravation but its there so put the plate on and dont get stopped

Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 7,932 times
I copied this directly from the statutes describing the manufacture and display of license plates.
License plates must be readable in daylight and night using low beam headlights under optimal conditions at a distance of no less than 75 feet.

Last edited by law book reader; 02-18-2010 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: added information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or