U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2009, 06:13 AM
Status: "just keep scrolling then?" (set 14 days ago)
 
14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times
Reputation: 6656

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2ntst View Post
The Texas Burger Guy, who has actual criteria by which he rates burgers, ranks Chris Madrid's #3 in the state out around 40 places he's tried. The San Antonio Burger Bloggers rank CM's #1 out of 40 they've tried around town. Not to mention just the sheer popularity of the place (there must be a reason other than hype, wouldn't you agree?). So, while you are certainly entitled to your opinion, you are definitely in the minority saying it's "not the greatest in town". It most certainly IS the best burger in San Antonio.
Damn skippy. It's not the greatest in town, in my opinion. I don't care if God Himself came down and declared it so. The burgers are grainy, greasy, and there are stray dogs on the patio while you're eating. I also don't care if I'm the ONLY person in town that doesn't think they're the greatest. Moderator cut: off topic Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by Chickrae; 12-11-2009 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: off topic / personal attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2009, 06:57 AM
 
2,313 posts, read 3,179,910 times
Reputation: 1581
Can't go wrong with a Big Mac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2009, 07:16 AM
 
Location: 78108
667 posts, read 1,404,109 times
Reputation: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Damn skippy. It's not the greatest in town, in my opinion. I don't care if God Himself came down and declared it so. The burgers are grainy, greasy, and there are stray dogs on the patio while you're eating. I also don't care if I'm the ONLY person in town that doesn't think they're the greatest. Moderator cut: off topic Moderator cut: personal attack
I doubt that guy has tried BIGZ. That shuts up most Madrid's die-hards. Unless they have a vested interest in saying that Madrid's is the best...

Last edited by Chickrae; 12-11-2009 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2009, 10:11 AM
RGJ
 
1,902 posts, read 4,014,890 times
Reputation: 848
I'm wondering. Beyond the fast food burgers, how much better can a burger get? I mean they all have, or should have, pretty much the same ingredients. I've been to every burger place mentioned on this forum and out of the top 10, there isn't a whole lot of difference. It all depends on how the cook feels any given day, IMO...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2009, 10:21 AM
 
5,633 posts, read 13,943,736 times
Reputation: 2730
How hungry you are also has a lot to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2009, 10:41 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,107,503 times
Reputation: 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I'm wondering. Beyond the fast food burgers, how much better can a burger get? I mean they all have, or should have, pretty much the same ingredients. I've been to every burger place mentioned on this forum and out of the top 10, there isn't a whole lot of difference. It all depends on how the cook feels any given day, IMO...
Blasphemy and sacrilege!!

That is tantamount to saying all foods should taste the same as they all comes from the same basic ingredients! We all know that just isn’t the case, there is a significant distinction between a poorly-cooked frozen hamburger patty and one that is cooked fresh by a gourmet chef!

Also, the ingredients and the amounts used greatly affect the taste.

Finally, how the burger is prepared, the type of bun used, and a myriad of other factors make a huge difference!

Maybe to the unsophisticated palate there may not seem to be a big distinction, but to those of us who truly enjoy an outstanding burger it can be the same as the difference between a Kiedricher Gräfenberg Riesling and a bottle of Two Buck Chuck!

The next thing you'll be saying is that all Tex-Mex tastes the same!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2009, 11:32 AM
RGJ
 
1,902 posts, read 4,014,890 times
Reputation: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Blasphemy and sacrilege!!

That is tantamount to saying all foods should taste the same as they all comes from the same basic ingredients! We all know that just isn’t the case, there is a significant distinction between a poorly-cooked frozen hamburger patty and one that is cooked fresh by a gourmet chef!

Also, the ingredients and the amounts used greatly affect the taste.

Finally, how the burger is prepared, the type of bun used, and a myriad of other factors make a huge difference!

Maybe to the unsophisticated palate there may not seem to be a big distinction, but to those of us who truly enjoy an outstanding burger it can be the same as the difference between a Kiedricher Gräfenberg Riesling and a bottle of Two Buck Chuck!

The next thing you'll be saying is that all Tex-Mex tastes the same!
I think you missed my point...The top ones, i.e. Chesters, Madrids, Bobby J's, Lord's kitchen, Big Bob's, Longhorn Cafe, Bracken Cafe,BigZ are all local joints(which I prefer). I think you can go to any of these places and have a great burger. It all depends on your taste. Then you have the chains Smashburger, Gourmet Burger, etc that have good burgers(generally). Then there are the fast food places. Actually, I think the old Frontierburger(as different as it is) is one of my all time favorites......And Tex Mex is either good or bad, there's no in between
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2009, 12:08 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,107,503 times
Reputation: 4435
OK, I'm digging ya now, I misunderstood your post to read something like "all burgers are basically the same no matter where you get them" to which I adamantly disagree. I may be a bit of a burger-holic; but I go to different places based on the kinds of burgers they offer. Bobby J's happens to be my favorite, although I am not sure if I would say they are the best burgers in town. They just happen to appeal to me the most; but I haven't made it to Lord's Kitchen or Smashburger yet. However, Five Guys will add some real competition to the mix when they set up off of 151 sometime soon. We've eaten at the one over by the Quarry Market and I thought they were pretty dang good!

And I absolutely agree with your assessment of Tex-Mex!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2009, 03:26 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,884 posts, read 4,336,453 times
Reputation: 1606
I'm a long time Chris Madrid's fan, but the last few times I was over there, my burger was actually a little dry. I've been to 5 Guys twice and, though I hate to admit this because its a chain, I thought it was definitly one of the better hamburgers I've had in SA. Right now, I prefer it to Chris Madrid's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2009, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Potranco/1604
358 posts, read 721,318 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Damn skippy. It's not the greatest in town, in my opinion. I don't care if God Himself came down and declared it so. The burgers are grainy, greasy, and there are stray dogs on the patio while you're eating. I also don't care if I'm the ONLY person in town that doesn't think they're the greatest. Moderator cut: off topic Moderator cut: personal attack .
I don't care what you say. I'm saying what I say.

Last edited by Chickrae; 12-11-2009 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:11 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top