U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:04 PM

358 posts, read 508,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd33 View Post
I doubt that guy has tried BIGZ. That shuts up most Madrid's die-hards. Unless they have a vested interest in saying that Madrid's is the best...
I have tried Bigz. Several times, in fact. I think they have really good burgers. Not better than Chris Madrid's, but pretty close. And I have no vested interest in Chris Madrid's, other than as a customer and as someone who has eaten burgers all around the country and who knows what a good burger is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 09:33 PM

8,355 posts, read 13,171,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2ntst View Post
I have tried Bigz. Several times, in fact. I think they have really good burgers. Not better than Chris Madrid's, but pretty close. And I have no vested interest in Chris Madrid's, other than as a customer and as someone who has eaten burgers all around the country and who knows what a good burger is.
Big'z is good, I wouldn't say they are my absolute favorite; but they do have delicious burgers there...

Old 12-13-2009, 02:29 PM

7,088 posts, read 11,939,853 times
When I lived in S.A., my fave burger place was Longhorns on Blanco.
God I miss Texas.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:06 AM

2,313 posts, read 1,843,126 times
Tried Smashburger with the Smashfries last night. Not bad...will probably go again

Old 12-17-2009, 02:06 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,966,825 times
Armadillo's on McCullough and Evergreen. Go there.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:16 PM

I finally got a chance to try the burger at Bracken Store Cafe today, and it was well worth the trip!

Wow, it has to be one of the best in the city (I don't think we can say any one burger is "the best" anymore, as there are so many that deserve that title!). The place is small and was crowded but I was able to get a small booth. A large group (10 or so) came in while I was there and they were able to seat them in the little room to the right, but I wouldn't count on finding a place to sit if you go in mass.

Anyhow, the burger was simply delicious. It was thick, juicy and cooked to perfection! It comes with the usual items (lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard; all of which were very fresh as was the bun). About the only "complaint" was it's so big that it was hard to eat! Not to worry though, it can be done and is worth the effort!

The fries were equally hot and tasty.

The place has a lot of "atmosphere, with items all over the wall and an old Wurlitzer jukebox playing 45 records (yep, real 45s!). The staff is equally friendly and I had a nice chat with one of the ladies working there.

This is definitely on my "return to" list, and I owe SilverCreek78250 much gratitude for his recommendation! I wish it was a little closer (it's about 25 miles from Helotes) but maybe it's better that it's not because I would eat there all the time! Anyone who finds themselves in the area and looking for some great eats should check it out, it's a little out of the way but worth finding! They also have a lot of other items on their menu, but their burgers are what has made them famous!

Oh, and one last note, do take note of their hours, the place is only open for four hours daily (11:00am-3:00pm) Monday through Saturday with Friday being the exception, when they are open until 7:30pm. They are closed on Sundays!

Cheers! M2

Old 07-10-2010, 05:58 PM

558 posts, read 709,474 times
I second that review of Bracken, read the write-up on a Sanantonioburger.com and treated a friend there for lunch.

Those 1/2 pound burgers are HUGE, and moist. All the toppings were fresh as stated above. The fries were fries, the onion rings were homemade and fairly good. Definitely a two hander, and if you have a small appetite it could easily feed two.

This place is worth checking out if you like burgers. Just remember to bring cash, they don't accept plastic.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:29 AM

777 posts, read 1,626,108 times
I wonder how many of these places could rake in a lot more business if they were open on Sundays? With hours of 11-3pm, that would certainly leave time for folks to attend church (if that is the reason for not being open). Of course, given the size and location, BSC probably has all the business they need with regulars and the steady stream of "word of mouth" customers.

Great review M2. Next time I make it out there, I'm trying the catfish.

Want another recommendation for an awesome burger at a place you would not expect? Try Guillermo's on McCullough at North St. Mary's. Very messy, but awesome.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:14 PM

SC78250

I still need to hit Lord's Kitchen, it's another place that's not open on Sundays (not surprisingly!) and usually that's the day of the week I am most likely to be over in the Ft Sam area.

And I don't know if I my waistline needs me to hit any more burger joints!

Cheers! M2

Old 07-11-2010, 07:20 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,298,455 times
I'll definitely be checking out Bracken. Probably drop by Grumpy's for a jar of their ridiculously hot salsa while I'm out that way. Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio