U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:29 AM

3,136 posts, read 5,156,505 times

Advertisements

Yes, there are I believe three Sun Harvest locations on the North Side of San Antonio.

Depending on where you live, HEB could end up being the only reasonable choice for grocery shopping. Where I live, for example, Sun Harvest and Whole Foods are located within a reasonable driving distance, but there are four HEB locations that are closer than either one of them. There is also a Walmart Supercenter in my neighborhood, so it's pretty much HEB or Walmart for me as far as a "supermarket" grocery store.

No Target, La Fiesta, Handy Andy, Costco, Sams, etc. locations anywhere close to me, so never done any grocery shopping at any of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 07:16 AM

5,634 posts, read 13,940,366 times
Darn you Americans, need more than 5 "super" grocery stores to make you happy Lucky you aren't born in a 3rd world country where the only store is the one on 4 stilts with a tarp and wondering if the meat is fresh this time around.

Just keeping things in perspective here. SA has more than enough stores we can be happy with!

Old 01-31-2009, 12:50 PM

51 posts, read 194,827 times
Yeah, or some outdoor market with flies on everything like in India!

I think Randolph and Ft Sam Houston commissaries are 100 percent better than Lackland. Never will I go to Lackland for anything.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:09 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,005,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
....La Fiesta, Whole Foods, Sam's, Costco, and there's still the odd Handy Andy. The 99 Only stores have a surprisingly good selection, and often have some unheard of bargains (.99 for a 1/2 gallon ice cream or Oscar Meyer center cut bacon).

Otherwise, HEB owns SA.

I wouldnt shop at the 99 cent stores. You'll be making china's economy stronger than ours.

Edit: Back in L.A. County they were using road kill remains and producing an oil and they would use that oil as an ingredient on their cookies, Ice Cream, and other products. I was disgusted when I saw that in the news. Never shopped at a 99cent only store ever again. But I havent seen that chain here except for the one on Walzem.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:19 PM

674 posts, read 1,616,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Darn you Americans, need more than 5 "super" grocery stores to make you happy Lucky you aren't born in a 3rd world country where the only store is the one on 4 stilts with a tarp and wondering if the meat is fresh this time around.

Just keeping things in perspective here. SA has more than enough stores we can be happy with!
I do agree with you!! I wish there were smaller grocery stores w/in walking distance rather than the Megalo-HEBs. That's why I wanted to know if there were more stores...I like to get in and get out. With the huge chains, I have to drive, park a mile away, walk into the back for milk, wait in a huge line to pay, take 10 minutes back to my car, drive home.

Walking isn't the issue (I like to walk) -- it's that buying a gallon of milk takes 45 minutes! So more along those lines.

On a side note: I saw the Handy Andy's in SA -- silly me, I thought they were hardware stores. I think since my kids watch Handy Manny...I'm so embarrassed. LOL

Old 01-31-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenschiefs View Post
Yeah, or some outdoor market with flies on everything like in India!

I think Randolph and Ft Sam Houston commissaries are 100 percent better than Lackland. Never will I go to Lackland for anything.
Hmmm, I'm closer to Lackland, but will definitely check those out! Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:25 PM

And I feel doubly stupid, b/c my husband and I were driving around looking for a grocery store on Christmas Eve (we were staying in lodging, looking for a home), and we passed a couple Handy Andy's. We spent an hour lost and looking for a grocery store. Finally found a megalo HEB and I spent an hour in there for french bread and coke (EVERY register was open but the lines were astronomical).
So I think I'm bitter. LOL

Old 01-31-2009, 01:25 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,788,192 times
One thing to remember is that the selection at one HEB = the same variety you'd get at Fred Meyer + Albertsons + QFC + Safeway + Trader Joe's, with lower prices on top of that.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
One thing to remember is that the selection at one HEB = the same variety you'd get at Fred Meyer + Albertsons + QFC + Safeway + Trader Joe's, with lower prices on top of that.
Can't beat Trader Joe's prices on some stuff! But what about competition to make sure prices are lower? We have Sunflower Farmer's Market here (and I believe they have that and Sprouts in Dallas)...I can get apples for .48/lb! You can't get apples for .48/lb at HEB.
I like to save money, especially in this economy!

Old 01-31-2009, 02:19 PM

10,996 posts, read 11,437,597 times
here's a joke miche111e:
we have Wal Mart's here too, but they dont sell walls.
Just thought your Handy Andy story was funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio