Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 05:36 PM

944 posts, read 3,063,328 times

Advertisements

Smuboy86, I DID get my TX plates and driver's license, so am paying all there is to pay here. The transfer of title is voluntary, and is of no difference in costs either way. What, by adapt to TX I'm supposed to unlearn my English skills and say "y'all"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 10:14 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Frankly a colloquialism here or there thrown in would make you more endearing to the local population. When I'm up north I will usually say you guys, or you all but as long as I'm in Texas it's ya'll.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:06 AM

483 posts, read 1,563,316 times
I can understand the point of view of folks from CA. I lived in Oregon for a summer, and the people who's house i lived in tried the whole time to get me to refer to a coke as a "pop", and I flat refused to do it. Was I just being stubborn? Probably. And of course, nobody from OR hated me for it, it was just this silly little game that we played. But, silly or not I gotta be fair to the other side when the situation is reversed. What's good for the goose and all that.

That being said, if you do ask for a "pop", don't be surprised to see at least a few amused looks here and there, but not everyone in SA or TX says "y'all", so I doubt that would be a problem one way or the other.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:59 AM

944 posts, read 3,063,328 times
Now, the Oregonians used to hate Californians with a passion (at least back in the 70s and 80s). They wanted very much to protect what was unique to Oregon (including their almost entirely white population).

Old 03-17-2007, 12:40 PM

483 posts, read 1,563,316 times
I did get that impression while I was there. Folks in OR generally wouldn't speak about CA much, and when they did it was somewhat grudgingly. They seemed to identify more with folks from WA. Anyway, I wasn't trying to say CAians and ORians are the same, just that outside your homestate, you deserve a little leeway when it comes to adopting local slang, colloquialisms, and general phraseology. As for the lisence plate thing, if I ever have to move to a state that doesn't require two plates, I'm leaving my TX plate on the front

Old 03-17-2007, 03:56 PM

121 posts, read 437,889 times
California probably has had the largest influx of out of state transplants in the last 20 years. However, you'll never hear complaints from a Californian about it. But you will always hear some bickering about "those damn Californians" moving into "Our" states.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:59 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
The point of this thread was in NO WAY complaining about Californians. Hell, I was born and raised in SoCal before moving to TX. I was simply pointing out that a lot of CA people are moving to SA lately.
Let's get this thread back on track. The author made it clear it's not about California bashing.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:34 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Let's get this thread back on track. The author made it clear it's not about California bashing.
Thanks! I didn't think anyone saw that post. Seems people are a little defensive in here.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:04 PM

109 posts, read 518,008 times
I thought that I'd jump in about the Indiana plates that people are seeing...there is a Toyota plant in Princeville, Indiana. My guess is that the influx of Indiana license plates is due to Toyota job relocation.

Sorry to those of you who are worried about us Bay Area California liberals tainting the TX conservative culture. A whole bunch of us moved here a couple of years ago as Toyota transfers. Don't worry though none of us are serving as liberal missionaries

Old 03-20-2007, 12:14 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Hey everybody! I don't have time (or patience) to read all the posts on this topic, but just wanted to let you all know that I moved here from CA, but I don't like it here and I am moving back to CA!!! Moderator cut: advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio