U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 12:35 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,013,609 times

Advertisements

I needed to bring up this old thread because I have a fractured tooth that is now just giving me pain when It wasn't before.

I am registered with the San Antonio Christian Dental Clinic and was seen by Dr. Snyder several weeks ago. They told me I'd eventually need to get the tooth extracted or have a root canal. However, they don't provide emergency services and of course are closed on the weekends. I can wait until Tuesday morning to go in person to try to get an appointment.

But, I was wondering if anyone knew of any low cost dental clinics open on the weekends? I'm also thinking about going to University Hospital if it gets any worse. I don't have a primary doctor so I may have to do that in order to get a prescription for the discomfort. The tooth is just painful when eating (I have to eat very slow on one side of my mouth). Thankfully, there's no abcess or anything that is urgent.

I'm afraid that If I go to University Hospital they will extract the tooth and I don't know If I would want that to happen (would rather save it).

Any ideas anyone....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 12:49 PM

37,733 posts, read 55,391,166 times
I still think that firstclassflyer suggestion wasn't bad at all. I know several people with dental work done across the border. Many clinics there, and very modern, clean and the dentists have great skills. They will try to save the tooth first and not focus on the quick $$$
Clinics are open on weekend.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 11,177 times
Default that is crap

when I called, they want you to bring all this proof of income, residency, social security cards for everyone living in the household, the address is no longer the same, these people are supposed to be helping the homeless, if you are homeless how are you going to bring in all this proof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daluu View Post
I found this while searching online for free health care in SA:

Church-based dental clinic filling a niche - San Antonio Business Journal:
San Antonio Christian Dental Clinic Inc.
What: A nonprofit dental clinic serving the poor
Founded: 1986
Executive director: David Phipps
Address: 112 Auditorium Circle, San Antonio
Tel. No.: 210-226-8041

Old 02-05-2010, 10:18 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,446,140 times
Nuevo Laredo is one area but Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras is another. Piedras is pretty immune to the stuff you hear on the news about violence in the border. My dad has gone to the border for dental work and goes by recommendations from friends on who to visit. Dentist spoke perfect English. My dad went multiple times (it's about a 150 mile drive) and he found it worth it because it would have cost $6,000 here and it was $1,700 over there. Even adding the cost of gas, it was still worth it. He didn't stay overnight, he would do an appointment at 11 am, get lunch and come back right after the appointment. I would not fear taking small children across the border as long as you have their birth certificate and passport. Parents took me many times across as an infant with no issues.
Just thought I'd update this thread since I saw it revived the other day.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:06 PM

272 posts, read 559,722 times
I don't blame you for not wanting to go to Mexico. Stay away, especially for an American woman alone or in general for leisure. It' s too dangerous and human trafficking is big there. I personally will not care if I ever set foot over there again. I wish we'd just have a huge earthquake and it would detach from the US.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:09 AM

127 posts, read 243,152 times
CentroMed Clinics: San Antonio
CommuniCare Health Centers (http://www.communicaresa.org/home/index.php - broken link)

Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,446,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viny80 View Post
I don't blame you for not wanting to go to Mexico. Stay away, especially for an American woman alone or in general for leisure. It' s too dangerous and human trafficking is big there. I personally will not care if I ever set foot over there again. I wish we'd just have a huge earthquake and it would detach from the US.
That's such a mean thing to say! (Earthquake comment)
Some parts of Mexico are safer than others and the media plays a big part in helping fuel the assumptions about what's goes on there.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:55 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,713,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
I needed to bring up this old thread because I have a fractured tooth that is now just giving me pain when It wasn't before.

I am registered with the San Antonio Christian Dental Clinic and was seen by Dr. Snyder several weeks ago. They told me I'd eventually need to get the tooth extracted or have a root canal. However, they don't provide emergency services and of course are closed on the weekends. I can wait until Tuesday morning to go in person to try to get an appointment.

But, I was wondering if anyone knew of any low cost dental clinics open on the weekends? I'm also thinking about going to University Hospital if it gets any worse. I don't have a primary doctor so I may have to do that in order to get a prescription for the discomfort. The tooth is just painful when eating (I have to eat very slow on one side of my mouth). Thankfully, there's no abcess or anything that is urgent.

I'm afraid that If I go to University Hospital they will extract the tooth and I don't know If I would want that to happen (would rather save it).

Any ideas anyone....
I don't know of any weekend low cost dental clinics. Call Haven for Hope and ask if they know of any.

Even if you do go to University hospital through the ER today.....the average wait time is 30 HOURS. I am not making that up. They are at double their capacity rate, and being a triage system, a painful tooth will be at the bottom of the emergency list. Being self employed and falling between the health insurance cracks, has enlightened us on a lot of things that are pretty horrendous when it comes to healthcare.

2nd...they would not extract a tooth or even treat you in the ER unless your life was in danger. There system is set up to make sure you are stable and then refer you to a doctor within the UTHSC system.

You will be referred to the maxillofacial/dental surgery clinic which is in the Brady bldg downtown. You cannot just go there...you have to have a referral. They only do extractions....no other dental work. This is through the hospital system, not the dental school. Once you are there, they will x-ray and access the situation and allow you to make a decision. You can have it extracted right then, or be given a list of several places in town that work on a sliding scale payment system. If you chose to go that route, they will most likely give you pain meds and/or antibiotics to get you through to your appt.

Keep in mind, none of this is free as many people think. Once you use the ER, you have 30 days to make an appointment with their "Carelink" system. Carelink will establish you as a patient and set you up on a payment plan based on your income.

To be very honest, if your tooth is not abscessed or that painful, wait until Monday and check out some of the recommendations others have shared.

Otherwise, get a good book, pillow, sack lunch, dinner and breakfast and sit in the ER for the rest of the weekend. Take your own Tylenol or whatever because you won't get anything for pain until they see you. Even doing all this, you won't be able to make an appointment until Monday anyway.

If you do go this route, call at 8am Monday for an appointment. If you cannot wait and they put you off, TELL them you will come down and WAIT to be seen that day. You will be seen. You just have to know how to get around the PIA non medical staff that treat suffering patients as if they are cattle. It's a horrible horrible situation unless you are critically ill or hurt. I'm not exaggerating. The doctors and medical staff are fabulous, once you get to see them, but you may have to get a little assertive if you are being given the run around.

Sorry...I wish I had better suggestions to offer, but I hear constant referrals to University hospital from people that don't understand how complicated it is. More people really need to understand the red tape behind a trip there. I honestly believe it has been made more complicated to try to reduce the already overloaded system.

Just wanted to add my apologies for such a lengthy post. We got caught between insurance coverage and got sucked into the University system and know it too well. We could write a users guide.....this doesn't even scratch the surface. :/

Last edited by wCat; 02-06-2010 at 01:22 PM..

Old 02-06-2010, 09:29 PM

99 posts, read 312,086 times
There is an emergency dental clinic off of Walzem I believe.
My dh had to go a few weeks ago (on a Sunday) and had a tooth extracted in under 2 hours.
Wish I knew the name of it but if you can get there early because a line forms outside.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:05 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,013,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupealsidez View Post
when I called, they want you to bring all this proof of income, residency, social security cards for everyone living in the household, the address is no longer the same, these people are supposed to be helping the homeless, if you are homeless how are you going to bring in all this proof?

I've received services from the San Antonio Christian Dental Clinic. Yes they do have a lot of requirements but once you turn in everything you're good to go. Since I didn't have a "lease" they let me have my landlord write a letter and notarize with the amount of rent I pay each month and what that covers (it's all bills paid for me).

Also, since I only (at the time) worked a temporary job I only needed to turn in that one check stub showing I made minimum wage for those few weeks.

If you or anyone decides to use their free services, you MUST go in person every Tuesday at 9AM everytime you want an appointment and that's just to set up an appointment. They WON'T tell you that but I found that out after a few weeks. So yes it can be a pain but FREE is free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio