U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:29 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,752,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
If they are looking to increase membership, then they need to do something. I've joined many libraries in my lifetime, and I would have to say, SA's programs are subpar. They really need to get better programs, family events, children's programs, book clubs, etc. I know they have these, but they are a little on the lame side and not well advertised. Not to mention, for goodness sake, please add a library on the far west side!!! I drive about 10-15 minutes just to get to the library! Every other town I was in was about a 5 minute jaunt down the road! I know I'll probably get bashed for this, but it's my opinion. I hope there is something new and exciting to increase their membership!
Moki ~ I AGREE!! We need one that's closer! However, since the libraries are funded by CITY taxes, and the majority of the residents over this way don't pay"city taxes" (cause they're technically outside the city limits), there prolly won't be one in the plans anytime soon. (It's one of my "soapbox" issues! I'll get flamed for this for sure ~ but I honestly believe that if someone doesn't pay city taxes, they should be able to get "check out" privileges. Let the flames begin. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 10:18 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,381,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
You beat me to the story on this one. Here's a direct link to the site for the library coffee operation.

javaNook ~ More than Coffee
It's a friend of mine who opened it

Old 02-05-2009, 10:28 AM

82 posts, read 172,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
Also, Casa Chiapas...the owners are REALLY friendly and they have great coffee. It's always nice and quiet in there! It's in Southtown also.
I agree - great coffee shop, but I thought that they closed down in December. I stopped by a couple times last month and found the doors locked. Does anyone know differently (or what happened)?

Old 02-05-2009, 10:34 AM

580 posts, read 1,279,643 times
In my opinion, SA is seriously lacking in the coffee shop area. I've been spending a lot more time in Austin lately, and that city is STACKED with great cafes: places with plenty of people working; soft (if existent at all) music; plenty of outlets; late hours (midnight at least); and a generally good vibe.

In SA, I usually work at a Starbucks close to my place. It's open until 11pm, which is about as good as it gets. (Although I've been thinking about appropriating the IHOP on Broadway for late-night work sessions. Sometimes, 11 is just too early.)

The downtown Ruta Maya closed, which is very sad.

Timo's is good during the day (especially because they DON'T have wireless, which means you actually work).

Cafe Latino has barely a table.

I refuse to step foot in G.I.G.

Candlelight is kind of nice, but not really a read/study vibe.

The Foundry is open until 1pm (!!!).

Justin's on Main was great for afternoons, but then they closed the big, empty room with the nice tables.

Uggg, this is all frustrating to me. Sorry for the venting.

PS--All of the places I mention are close to downtown, right north of the city, which is where I live. There might be places farther out, but I"m not sure.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:51 PM

98 posts, read 162,343 times
We are in the Medical Center Area. Barnes and Noble and Starbucks are good ideas, but I guess we were looking for something a little more cozy. I used to go to one up in Kansas and havent' really found anything like that here. Not that we have looked a ton.

Thanks for the ideas!!!

Old 02-05-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
In my opinion, SA is seriously lacking in the coffee shop area. I've been spending a lot more time in Austin lately, and that city is STACKED with great cafes: places with plenty of people working; soft (if existent at all) music; plenty of outlets; late hours (midnight at least); and a generally good vibe.

In SA, I usually work at a Starbucks close to my place. It's open until 11pm, which is about as good as it gets. (Although I've been thinking about appropriating the IHOP on Broadway for late-night work sessions. Sometimes, 11 is just too early.)

The downtown Ruta Maya closed, which is very sad.

Timo's is good during the day (especially because they DON'T have wireless, which means you actually work).

Cafe Latino has barely a table.

I refuse to step foot in G.I.G.

Candlelight is kind of nice, but not really a read/study vibe.

The Foundry is open until 1pm (!!!).

Justin's on Main was great for afternoons, but then they closed the big, empty room with the nice tables.

Uggg, this is all frustrating to me. Sorry for the venting.

PS--All of the places I mention are close to downtown, right north of the city, which is where I live. There might be places farther out, but I"m not sure.

I agree...San Antonio has been sort of frustrating for us trying to find some of the fun things we found in other cities.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
The Candlelight is a nice place to relax and read. Free wi-fi to boot...

Home
Thanks, we'll check it out.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,216,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
It's a friend of mine who opened it
I think it's a great concept and makes the library a place that more people will want to linger in. Libraries need to have broader appeal to keep the traffic up and justify the taxpayers' support. Too many people below a certain age think everything they need to know is Google-able. Some important stuff is still on the shelves of the library.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:05 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,952,846 times
Candlelight is nice. IAMA Coffee is nice (I think that's the name - IAMA Cafe? The IAMA part is correct. It's on Babcock just off Fred). There's one in the Strand at Huebner Oaks, too - lost the name of it. "Just Grounds" keeps popping in my head, but I KNOW that isn't right!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:09 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,952,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I think it's a great concept and makes the library a place that more people will want to linger in. Libraries need to have broader appeal to keep the traffic up and justify the taxpayers' support. Too many people below a certain age think everything they need to know is Google-able. Some important stuff is still on the shelves of the library.
I LOVE my library - Cody branch - but no way in heck I want to linger there. Sorry, but there are always too many kids. I know that sounds awful, but seriously. I can't relax and enjoy my book when there are kids running around and screaming.

So I put holds on books online, run in, grab 'em, use the self checkout and get out before my haid explodes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio